DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Getting rusty nipple off. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/186302-getting-rusty-nipple-off.html)

[email protected] December 19th 06 12:42 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Rich December 19th 06 12:50 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

wrote:
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT
budging. I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to
get the nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much
strength since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the
nipple.

Drill a hole through it and put a screwdriver through the hole then spin it
off and get a good stainless steel replacement nipple and you won't have to
replace it ever again.

Rich

[email protected] December 19th 06 01:47 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

On 18 Dec 2006 16:42:42 -0800, wrote:

I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

When you do get it taken apart apply Teflon tape to it. It is good
practice to take apart all new plumbing and/or fixtures and use tape
before re-assembly. Ten years down the road you'll understand why.

naked on the phone December 19th 06 01:51 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

wrote:
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

why is the shower head wiggling?

naked on the phone December 19th 06 01:51 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

you're just going to **** it up anyway

Edwin Pawlowski December 19th 06 02:11 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Heat. If you can safely put a torch to the joint, that will usually break
it free.

Jim Yanik December 19th 06 02:14 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

wrote in
oups.com:

I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil. Use PB Blaster or similar.
(WD stands for *water displacing*.)

Use an internal pipe wrench adapter and a socket drive handle.It has a
knurled piece that goes inside the nipple and expands against the inside of
the pipe,gripping it tightly.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Steve Barker LT December 19th 06 02:59 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

First off, 86 the wd40. it's basically worthless.

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...

[email protected] December 19th 06 03:20 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

On 18 Dec 2006 16:42:42 -0800, wrote:

I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Probably the best penetrant to use is beeswax. Heat the area of
interest and the wax will follow the heat.

Jeff Wisnia December 19th 06 11:55 PM

Getting rusty nipple off.

wrote:
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Where IS that nipple in relation to the faucet you are replacing?

It would be interesting to learn what you mean when you say "kind of
stripped the threads". Are you saying you buggered up the exposed male
threads which used to thread into saomething else because you didn't
know about internal pipe wrenches? If so, the nipple is history, so
follow the good advice already given here and hope to G-d you don't have
something snap off or start leaking behind the wall. I'd vote for using
a "flame wrench" on the nipple and letting it cool down to room
temperature before applying torque to it again. The expansion and
contraction should help break it free.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

[email protected] December 20th 06 12:00 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

Steve Barker LT wrote:
First off, 86 the wd40. it's basically worthless.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Hey! useless? WD-40 is a *great* cleaner. I use it to clean up the
freeing oil...

[email protected] December 20th 06 01:53 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

Rich wrote:
wrote:
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT
budging. I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to
get the nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much
strength since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the
nipple.

Drill a hole through it and put a screwdriver through the hole then spin it
off and get a good stainless steel replacement nipple and you won't have to
replace it ever again.

Rich

A friend said it might be sodered in at the back by the pipe. I have
the steel nipple, I just have to get the old one off.

[email protected] December 20th 06 01:54 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

wrote:
On 18 Dec 2006 16:42:42 -0800,
wrote:

I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

When you do get it taken apart apply Teflon tape to it. It is good
practice to take apart all new plumbing and/or fixtures and use tape
before re-assembly. Ten years down the road you'll understand why.

Thanks, that is something I always do.

[email protected] December 20th 06 01:54 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

naked on the phone wrote:
wrote:
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

why is the shower head wiggling?

you're just going to **** it up anyway

Thanks for the support!

[email protected] December 20th 06 01:55 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Heat. If you can safely put a torch to the joint, that will usually break
it free.

A friend thinks it may be sodered on the back of the niple to the pipe.
I'm going to try another tool to remove it. Hopefully, that will
work. Thanks for advice!

[email protected] December 20th 06 01:56 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

Thanks Jim! I think I may try that. I've used WD-40 to get nuts off
of rusted bolts I thought our hard water may have rusted things up a
bit.

Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

[email protected] December 20th 06 01:58 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

Jeff, that kind of explains it well. The threads went into the the
faucet. It was suggested i replace the nipple, since it is the wrong
size and the plumbers I spoke to said, "they are VERY EASY to take
off." Thanks for your help.

Jim Yanik December 20th 06 02:12 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

wrote in
ps.com:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT
budging. I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to
get the nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too
much strength since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn
the nipple.

Heat. If you can safely put a torch to the joint, that will usually
break it free.

A friend thinks it may be sodered on the back of the niple to the
pipe.
I'm going to try another tool to remove it. Hopefully, that will
work. Thanks for advice!

if it's iron pipe(that's usually threaded),it's NOT soldered.
Just rusted in.

Why did you need to remove the nipple anyways?
(you have to now that the threads are buggered.)

When I replaced my tub spout,the universal kit I bought at Lowes had
adapters to fit threaded pipe(2 sizes),or go over copper stub(what I had).
It was only $12 as I recall.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Y-Town December 20th 06 03:18 PM

Getting rusty nipple off.

Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in
ps.com:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

For the record:

WD-40

CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also
dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers,
and excess bonding material.
DISPLACES MOISTU Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries
out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen
or rusted metal parts.
LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and
hold firmly to all moving parts.
PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant
ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_product_info.html

naked on the phone December 20th 06 11:53 PM

Getting rusty nipple off.

wrote:
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

heat the muther-****er, put propane torch on it, till she turns cherry
red
then sock a small pipe or fitted wrench on it while it's still glowing

better! rip the ******* out and turn it all in as brass scrap

[email protected] December 23rd 06 01:03 AM

Getting rusty nipple off.

Jim,
It was sodered on....

Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in
ps.com:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
oups.com...

naked on the phone December 23rd 06 04:00 AM

Getting pink nipple off.

wrote:
Jim,
It was sodered on....

lol

it probably was

[email protected] December 23rd 06 04:49 PM

Getting pink nipple off.

On 22 Dec 2006 20:00:11 -0800, "naked on the phone"

Jim,
It was sodered on....

lol

it probably was

Dood......
Thats not a nipple, that's YOU DICK that you are trying to get off !