Posted to alt.home.repair

Default child-proofing entry doors

hi all

My son is 2 1/2 just moved out of his crib...his grandmother is worried he
will open the deadbolts on the new entry doors and go outside in the winter
while we are sleeping (she heard it happened to someone else on the news)

My husband works from 4 am to 7 am milking his cows so I would like a lock
that will lock behind him and that he could open when he gets home. Any
ideas?

Do they still make those old keyed locks that pull to lock and have a button
you push down to open?

I have taught my son to leave the house when the fire alarm sounds so I
don't really like the idea of locking the doors ... any thoughts?

CathyLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CathyLee" wrote in message
hi all

My son is 2 1/2 just moved out of his crib...his grandmother is worried he
will open the deadbolts on the new entry doors and go outside in the
winter while we are sleeping (she heard it happened to someone else on the
news)

My husband works from 4 am to 7 am milking his cows so I would like a lock
that will lock behind him and that he could open when he gets home. Any
ideas?

Do they still make those old keyed locks that pull to lock and have a
button you push down to open?

I have taught my son to leave the house when the fire alarm sounds so I
don't really like the idea of locking the doors ... any thoughts?

I never even considered the possibility of our kids doing that. And they
didn't.
Unless you have some specific reason to fear it, I would forget about it.

(if you worry this much at 2, just wait until they are 18)

Posted to alt.home.repair

CathyLee wrote:
hi all

My son is 2 1/2 just moved out of his crib...his grandmother is worried he
will open the deadbolts on the new entry doors and go outside in the winter
while we are sleeping (she heard it happened to someone else on the news)

My husband works from 4 am to 7 am milking his cows so I would like a lock
that will lock behind him and that he could open when he gets home. Any
ideas?

Do they still make those old keyed locks that pull to lock and have a button
you push down to open?

I have taught my son to leave the house when the fire alarm sounds so I
don't really like the idea of locking the doors ... any thoughts?

The obvious solution is to change the locks. You can get the style
which uses a key on both sides. Any other solution is bound to a
version of this solution.

There are many solutions which will be less expensive or bothersome but
they will achieve the same result: to lock the door from the inside in
some way whether by changing the locks or by some other method which
locks the door like a safety chain or other device especially designed
to be childproof.

The point is: no matter what the solution is, it has the result that
the door will either be actually locked or locked for the child only.
Regardless of where you live, you should lock the doors especially if
children are in your care. I know lots of folk who live in safe
communities tend to drop formalities like locking the doors. Change
the locks so that they require a key, inside and out, and you will not
have to guess where your child is when, god forbid, they go missing.
Children like to play games and hide-and-seek is a favorite.

Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair

CathyLee wrote:
hi all

My son is 2 1/2 just moved out of his crib...his grandmother is worried he
will open the deadbolts on the new entry doors and go outside in the winter
while we are sleeping (she heard it happened to someone else on the news)

My husband works from 4 am to 7 am milking his cows so I would like a lock
that will lock behind him and that he could open when he gets home. Any
ideas?

Do they still make those old keyed locks that pull to lock and have a button
you push down to open?

I have taught my son to leave the house when the fire alarm sounds so I
don't really like the idea of locking the doors ... any thoughts?

CathyLee

We installed locks that open with a key, inside and outside, in
preparation for extended visit by grandsons. We live on the water and
did not want them outside without our knowledge.

Pretty tough for a toddler to try to leave the house alone if fire alarm
sounds, and he might take off when you burn dinner. In a real fire, he
might panic without you and hide or lose his way in smoke. My grandson,
when four years old, got up in the middle of the night and played with a
lighter. He tried to put it out, could not, and climbed in bed with his
parents. My son woke up just as flames were reaching the living room
drapes. I would rethink that one ..

I woke up in the middle of the night once to hear a toddler crying in
our yard. He lived in the house in back of us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:

Change
the locks so that they require a key, inside and out, and you will not
have to guess where your child is when, god forbid, they go missing.
Children like to play games and hide-and-seek is a favorite.

Lawrence

In many localities locks which require a key on the inside to open them
are illegal for obvious fire safety reasons.

There's no easy way you can install locks which will keep kids contained
and also let them to follow your instructions about leaving the house if
a fire breaks out. You could of course spend a gazillion bucks on a
battery backed up automated system which would release the kiddy locks
when a fire alarm detector went off, but that's a long run for a short
slide.

When our kids were small I installed sliding bolts mounted a couple of
inches below the top of the entry doors and on the doors of closets we
didn't want them to get into. By the time our children were tall enough
to reach those bolts even when standing on a kitchen chair they were
well enough trained so that the bolts weren't needed anymore. And, they
were NEVER left at home alone, even for 5 minutes, during their early years.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

My son is 2 1/2 just moved out of his crib...his grandmother is worried he
will open the deadbolts on the new entry doors and go outside in the winter
while we are sleeping (she heard it happened to someone else on the news)

My husband works from 4 am to 7 am milking his cows so I would like a lock
that will lock behind him and that he could open when he gets home. Any
ideas?

Do they still make those old keyed locks that pull to lock and have a button
you push down to open?

I have taught my son to leave the house when the fire alarm sounds so I
don't really like the idea of locking the doors ... any thoughts?

CathyLee

Well, you could install a door-alarm that goes off whenever
the door is opened, and put a switch to supress it
at the top of the doorframe. That wouldn't keep
the child from going outside, but at least you'd
know about it.

Alternatively, you could kill and eat the grandmother....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:27:40 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

I woke up in the middle of the night once to hear a toddler crying in
our yard. He lived in the house in back of us.

I must have been age five when Mom noticed my two year old sister
could not be found. She went through the house, I rode with her around
the local streets. Nothing. I guess Mom was about to call the
authorities when she noticed my sister on the floor behind the couch.

She had woke up at some point and crawled behind the couch and went
back to sleep.

Those were safer times.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...
Lawrence wrote:

Change
the locks so that they require a key, inside and out, and you will not
have to guess where your child is when, god forbid, they go missing.
Children like to play games and hide-and-seek is a favorite.

Lawrence

In many localities locks which require a key on the inside to open them
are illegal for obvious fire safety reasons.

So how do you arrange a burglar-bar door?

I have key locks on both sides of the burglar bar doors. I tell all my
overnight guests that in the event of fire, forget the door, make for the
window (the windows' burglar-bars all open from the inside).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CathyLee" wrote in message
hi all

My son is 2 1/2 just moved out of his crib...his grandmother is worried he
will open the deadbolts on the new entry doors and go outside in the
winter while we are sleeping (she heard it happened to someone else on the
news)

My husband works from 4 am to 7 am milking his cows so I would like a lock
that will lock behind him and that he could open when he gets home. Any
ideas?

Do they still make those old keyed locks that pull to lock and have a
button you push down to open?

I have taught my son to leave the house when the fire alarm sounds so I
don't really like the idea of locking the doors ... any thoughts?

CathyLee

Have a second door knobs installed close to the top of the door. This knob
does not need to be locked from either side. It won't let the child get out
in the event of a fire, but you could keep a bell or horn by the door that
the child could sound in case he needed to get help in an emergency.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A good friends 2 year old wandered off, he is one busy boy.daylight
neighbor saw and returned him. all in less than 5 minutes. he is fast!

they fenced in part of the yard, with wire mesh fence and a chain link
gate with hitch pin in chain link gate, so far he hasnt defeated it,
and I already have a plan if he does stops him from running to road.
much safer all around.he loves the road thats where the action is

alarming his room so you know he left it at night is a good idea. a
busy boy could get hungry and start a fire cooking a 4 am snack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...

snipped

In many localities locks which require a key on the inside to open them
are illegal for obvious fire safety reasons.

So how do you arrange a burglar-bar door?

I really don't know, but I'm always willing to learn. Google showed me
different things called "burglar bars" including those "sticks" you set
into place at an angle from the inside surface (of an inward opening
door) down to the floor, to prevent someone easily opening the door
while the bar is in place.

I have key locks on both sides of the burglar bar doors. I tell all my
overnight guests that in the event of fire, forget the door, make for the
window (the windows' burglar-bars all open from the inside).

In defense of my mentioning that burglar bars with inside key locks
might not be allowed in some localities, Houston says this:

http://www.houstontx.gov/fire/publiced/bbars.html

Though, the third paragraph seems to contradict the first.

Go figger... Maybe older installations with key operated locks are
grandfathered in. G

Peace,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Freckles1507 wrote:
"CathyLee" wrote in message

[...]

A toddler should never be out of earshot of parents, and the only
scenario that makes sense for toddler to escape alone is if parents are
overcome, but he would probably be overcome first. Escape route through
parents' bedroom? He should be able to dial 911, too.

Twos and threes are adventuresome .. trained in electronics by first
birthday (know where the CD drive and on switch for computer are).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I woke up in the middle of the night once to hear a toddler crying in
our yard. He lived in the house in back of us.

I must have been age five when Mom noticed my two year old sister
could not be found. She went through the house, I rode with her around
the local streets. Nothing. I guess Mom was about to call the
authorities when she noticed my sister on the floor behind the couch.

She had woke up at some point and crawled behind the couch and went
back to sleep.

Those were safer times.
--
Oren

that occured with my old neighbors son, police ambulance dragnet of
cops checking cars, tv reporters etc etc. kid was my age my mom
freaked.

timmy meehan asleep behind couch.

many years later his sister a adult disappeared and made unsloved
mysteries. wierd seeing the home next to where you grew up on tv like
that.

sadly patty was never found.........

trimming masonite doors questions bent Woodworking 24 July 12th 16 11:44 PM
Are inset cabinet doors really that tough? -- current FWW igor Woodworking 8 March 1st 05 01:30 AM
Adjusting Bifold Doors C Home Repair 3 March 17th 04 01:56 AM
Odd-sized internal doors solution? BigWallop UK diy 5 August 29th 03 04:37 PM
Wide Wardrobe Doors Andrew May UK diy 1 August 15th 03 08:01 AM