Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default child-proofing entry doors

CathyLee wrote:
hi all

My son is 2 1/2 just moved out of his crib...his grandmother is worried he
will open the deadbolts on the new entry doors and go outside in the winter
while we are sleeping (she heard it happened to someone else on the news)

My husband works from 4 am to 7 am milking his cows so I would like a lock
that will lock behind him and that he could open when he gets home. Any
ideas?

Do they still make those old keyed locks that pull to lock and have a button
you push down to open?

I have taught my son to leave the house when the fire alarm sounds so I
don't really like the idea of locking the doors ... any thoughts?

CathyLee

We installed locks that open with a key, inside and outside, in
preparation for extended visit by grandsons. We live on the water and
did not want them outside without our knowledge.

Pretty tough for a toddler to try to leave the house alone if fire alarm
sounds, and he might take off when you burn dinner. In a real fire, he
might panic without you and hide or lose his way in smoke. My grandson,
when four years old, got up in the middle of the night and played with a
lighter. He tried to put it out, could not, and climbed in bed with his
parents. My son woke up just as flames were reaching the living room
drapes. I would rethink that one ..

I woke up in the middle of the night once to hear a toddler crying in
our yard. He lived in the house in back of us.