Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default child-proofing entry doors

HeyBub wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...

snipped

In many localities locks which require a key on the inside to open them
are illegal for obvious fire safety reasons.

So how do you arrange a burglar-bar door?

I really don't know, but I'm always willing to learn. Google showed me
different things called "burglar bars" including those "sticks" you set
into place at an angle from the inside surface (of an inward opening
door) down to the floor, to prevent someone easily opening the door
while the bar is in place.

I have key locks on both sides of the burglar bar doors. I tell all my
overnight guests that in the event of fire, forget the door, make for the
window (the windows' burglar-bars all open from the inside).

In defense of my mentioning that burglar bars with inside key locks
might not be allowed in some localities, Houston says this:

http://www.houstontx.gov/fire/publiced/bbars.html

Though, the third paragraph seems to contradict the first.

Go figger... Maybe older installations with key operated locks are
grandfathered in. G

Peace,

Jeff

--