Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default child-proofing entry doors

CathyLee wrote:
hi all

My son is 2 1/2 just moved out of his crib...his grandmother is worried he
will open the deadbolts on the new entry doors and go outside in the winter
while we are sleeping (she heard it happened to someone else on the news)

My husband works from 4 am to 7 am milking his cows so I would like a lock
that will lock behind him and that he could open when he gets home. Any
ideas?

Do they still make those old keyed locks that pull to lock and have a button
you push down to open?

I have taught my son to leave the house when the fire alarm sounds so I
don't really like the idea of locking the doors ... any thoughts?

The obvious solution is to change the locks. You can get the style
which uses a key on both sides. Any other solution is bound to a
version of this solution.

There are many solutions which will be less expensive or bothersome but
they will achieve the same result: to lock the door from the inside in
some way whether by changing the locks or by some other method which
locks the door like a safety chain or other device especially designed
to be childproof.

The point is: no matter what the solution is, it has the result that
the door will either be actually locked or locked for the child only.
Regardless of where you live, you should lock the doors especially if
children are in your care. I know lots of folk who live in safe
communities tend to drop formalities like locking the doors. Change
the locks so that they require a key, inside and out, and you will not
have to guess where your child is when, god forbid, they go missing.
Children like to play games and hide-and-seek is a favorite.

Lawrence