Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washer - Whirlpool vs Kenmore

I have to get a new washer. Don't want fancy bells & whistles, just a
washer that does its job; won't crash tomorrow. I don't need extra
capcity.

I looked at a Whirlpool at Sears that I liked, but it's not on special
any more. Salesperson said Kenmore is made by Whirlpool and is on
special.

Questions:

1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?

2. Is there a difference in quality between W. and K.?

3. Sorry I don't have a model number, but the Whirlpool I was
looking at is about $395.

After spending ages on-line trying to get comparative info, I'm more
confused than ever.

Any voice-of-experience/repair professional advice out there?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

That is who makes Sears applicances.

1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?

The same, unless some special version in some model is made just for
the Sears account. Unlikely.

2. Is there a difference in quality between W. and K.?

Seems reasonable.

3. Sorry I don't have a model number, but the Whirlpool I was
looking at is about $395.

We have a Kenmore front-load washer. More $$$, but my wife loves it. We
had a Maytag last time around for 20+ years, but the word on the street
is that the quality has dropped. I think Whirlpool now owns Maytag, for
their upper-end stuff. Not sure about that.

After spending ages on-line trying to get comparative info, I'm more
confused than ever.

My service on Kenmore appliances has been fine. No complaints. Your
milage will vary...

Any voice-of-experience/repair professional advice out there?

I did the routing stuff -- belts, pumps, hoses on the Maytag. I think
servicing the side-load Kenmore may be a bit much myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote in message

1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?

I don't claim to understand maketing, but each appliance vendor has lots of
different names. Maytag also does JenAir and Magic Chef. GE does Hotpoint
and Monogram. Whirlpool does KitchenAid. Electrolux does Fridgidaire,
Kelvinator, and White Westinghouse.

At one point in their life, Sears only sold stuff branded as Sears. In the
last few decades, they now sell most brands, but some of their brands
remain, including Kenmore appliances, which have gained a reputation for
being a good value and reliable. (sort of like their Craftsman hand tools).

2. Is there a difference in quality between W. and K.?

Maybe, but like I said above, Kenmore is considered to be very reliable (as
is Whirlpool, who makes most their stuff).

Any voice-of-experience/repair professional advice out there?

I'm generally not a Sears fan, but do like Kenmore. I've owned quite a few
different ones and they've given me no trouble.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stu Stu is offline

aspasia wrote:
I have to get a new washer. Don't want fancy bells & whistles, just a
washer that does its job; won't crash tomorrow. I don't need extra
capcity.

I looked at a Whirlpool at Sears that I liked, but it's not on special
any more. Salesperson said Kenmore is made by Whirlpool and is on
special.

Questions:

1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?
This is a common thing to do in the trade. Companies either buy out each other or sell units in order to hit a wider maket. If you had bought a Whirlpool previously and not liked it, you may not realise and buy the same thing under a different brand. Its a bit like buying a VW car and a Skoda.
2. Is there a difference in quality between W. and K.?

Sometimes the alternative company saves on the casing. This doesn't
always mean it is worse, but facias & switches can make a difference to
the production costs.

3. Sorry I don't have a model number, but the Whirlpool I was
looking at is about $395.

After spending ages on-line trying to get comparative info, I'm more
confused than ever. The web is a top place for info, but sometimes not as accurate as we would like, so best off not to rely on it. I know dealers who state 'its exactly the same model, but different codes'. This can end up a totally different spec as they do produce some models slightly different to comply with being exclusive for a large wholesaler.

Any voice-of-experience/repair professional advice out there?
I agree with the prof on the servicing and I would try to barter a deal on an extended warranty by quoting a net price and getting from a proper dealer. Sounds mad from me as I sell on line, but truth is if you buy from a shop you are more likely to get better after service.

Oh yeah, Whirpool domestic kit has got a lot better over the years and
there are only about 6 pump types for about 90% of all brand types. A
lot of internals are not even made by the brand name and are made in
factories in Italy.

Best of luck

Stu
http://www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Compare prices at Lowes. If considering an extended warratny Lowes is much
cheaper on the service agreements.

aspasia wrote in message
I have to get a new washer. Don't want fancy bells & whistles, just a
washer that does its job; won't crash tomorrow. I don't need extra
capcity.

I looked at a Whirlpool at Sears that I liked, but it's not on special
any more. Salesperson said Kenmore is made by Whirlpool and is on
special.

Questions:

1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?

2. Is there a difference in quality between W. and K.?

3. Sorry I don't have a model number, but the Whirlpool I was
looking at is about $395.

After spending ages on-line trying to get comparative info, I'm more
confused than ever.

Any voice-of-experience/repair professional advice out there?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whirlpool does now own Maytag and all it lines.

A tip on the front load Whirlpool and Kenmore (HE type). If you remove
the lower front panel there is a screw out/clean out strainer just
before the pump. I found it the hard way after the kids left something
in their pockets and clogged it up. This strainer isn't listed in the
book anywhere I could find.

professorpaul wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

my serviceman told me whirlpool makes sears top loaders. differences
include rubber mounts on the kenmore to run more quiet, and the knobs
on the control panel. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no difference in quality between a company's products marketed
under its own brands and those that are brand-engineered for other
retailers. Sometimes there are minor differences, such as the
functionality of a feature, or the availability of a particular
feature. For example, Whirlpool might have two switches with two
options each that give you four options total (2X2), while Kenmore
might bundle the same functionality into one switch giving you four
options total.

One important note, though, is that part prices can differ between
pure-branded and brand-engineered products. Let me give you an
example. If your Frigidaire front load washer that appears as Kenmore
at Sears, and GE at Home Depot needs repairs, you will pay a higher
price for the part if it has a GE part number as compared to it having
a Frigidaire part number. It is the same part, but the part number
that appears on the box depends on the channel of distribution that it
takes on the way to you. Most people don't know this, and are unable
to do the math before making a purchase, but I would personally stay
away from products made by other companies that are brand-engineered to
the GE nameplate.

When it comes down to it, nobody will ever know how clean your clothes
really are, just by looking at your or your machine, and you probably
won't be able to tell either. Most people buy way too many bells and
whistles, when all you probably need is perhaps 2 speeds and 2 water
temp options. Otherwise, most machines do pretty much the same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Sep 2006 06:37:03 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Very interesting!

**********OK, now does this apply to a Whirlpool "brand-engineered" to
the Kenmore nameplate? That's what is preoccupying me now.*********

My Maytag ran 11 years w/o coughing, and only called attention to
itself when the lid switch assembly went out. The repairs will cost
$187.00, so I'm figuring I'd better get a new one for -+ $350-400.

When it comes down to it, nobody will ever know how clean your clothes
really are, just by looking at your or your machine, and you probably
won't be able to tell either.

That is not my concern .Durability and freedom from hassles IS my
concerrn. I have light loads, so don't need a workhorse; just
RELIABILITY.

Most people buy way too many bells and
whistles, when all you probably need is perhaps 2 speeds and 2 water
temp options. Otherwise, most machines do pretty much the same thing.

Hah! I was told this years ago by a staff person at the Dept of Water
and Power which had an open house to view machines. Person said
exactly the same thing -- 2 speeds and 2 [or 3] water options. All
the rest is vanity and cuteness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 03:09:51 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

Compare prices at Lowes. If considering an extended warratny Lowes is much
cheaper on the service agreements.

Thanks. There's no Lowe's near me, but it might be worth checking
out.

However, Sears offers free delivery and installation. Does Lowe's?

****What does the group think of extended warranties? Worth it?***

Aspasia

aspasia wrote in message
m...
I have to get a new washer. Don't want fancy bells & whistles, just a
washer that does its job; won't crash tomorrow. I don't need extra
capcity.

I looked at a Whirlpool at Sears that I liked, but it's not on special
any more. Salesperson said Kenmore is made by Whirlpool and is on
special.

Questions:

1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?

2. Is there a difference in quality between W. and K.?

3. Sorry I don't have a model number, but the Whirlpool I was
looking at is about $395.

After spending ages on-line trying to get comparative info, I'm more
confused than ever.

Any voice-of-experience/repair professional advice out there?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:12:28 -0700, aspasia wrote:

I have to get a new washer. Don't want fancy bells & whistles, just a
washer that does its job; won't crash tomorrow. I don't need extra
capcity.

I looked at a Whirlpool at Sears that I liked, but it's not on special
any more. Salesperson said Kenmore is made by Whirlpool and is on
special.

Questions:

1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?

2. Is there a difference in quality between W. and K.?

3. Sorry I don't have a model number, but the Whirlpool I was
looking at is about $395.

After spending ages on-line trying to get comparative info, I'm more
confused than ever.

Any voice-of-experience/repair professional advice out there?

Tx

Aspasia

There are so many companies that bought others it is hard to tell
anymore. I suggest looking at Consumer Reports. Get the largest
capacity, I think it's "Super Capacity." The fewer gadgets, the
better. I like "scratch and dent" and keep the $100. My Whirlpool is
over 16 years old and still kicking, but I'm not sure if Whirlpool has
the same quality today in washers. Kenmore is a good brand. I found
that generally Sears won't haggle over price, but a Mom-and-Pop
usually will.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I find that the advice on laundry machines that one can find in
Consumer Reports is extrememly dubious, as if they never consult
appliance experts at all. I was surprised that they rated the Calypso
washers so highly, all the way to the bitter end. And with model
numbers changing as fast as fashion (maybe 10 times a year, in
seasons), the information you can find there is already outdated when
you crack open the magazine. I've never figured out how a model that
is available for only 6 weeks can rate an entry in Consumer Reports.
And I've never figured out how a pure-branded item and a brand
engineered item can have different ratings in the magazine, despite
being the exact same machine.

Another dubious value is buying at "scratch and dent" stores. You will
never know the history of any one machine, despite the salesman's
insistance that it has never been used and just came out of the box.
If you buy there, you will, in essence, be assuming someone else's
nightmare.

The best way to buy a machine is by selecting a platform, and then
buying the cheapest model with the capacity you need. All
manufacturers build their models on basic platforms. For the most
part, all Kenmore and Whirlpool top load washers are built on the
direct drive platform. All Maytag models are built on just one
platform, and same for GE and Frigidaire. Choose the platform with the
best durability, and then choose within that platform for the best
value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know you're just giving an example, but Frigidare and GE are different
manufactures and (as far as I know) never used as different monikers on the
same machine. See my other post in this thread for some actual "same
machine/different name" twins...

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Fischer wrote:
I know you're just giving an example, but Frigidare and GE are different
manufactures and (as far as I know) never used as different monikers on the
same machine. See my other post in this thread for some actual "same
machine/different name" twins...

GE buys a lot of rebranded models from Frigidaire. The basic GE front
load washer at Home Depot, not the newer one with the black control
panel, is a Frigidaire product rebranded as GE. GE also buys certain
laundry systems from Frigidaire and rebrands them with their own name.
IIRC, there was a time in Maytag's history, pre-Whirlpool, when they
were on strike and their Maytag branded laundry equipment was actually
from GE.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Oct 2006 18:56:55 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"

[...]

I found that even GE-made appliances have expensive parts. The range
burner temperature control for our GE electric oven was $75 from GE and
hard to find for less than $50, while a Whirlpool equivalent was about
$40 list and could be bought for $27.
.

As I wrote in companion thread "extended warranties - worth it?"
Sears price for lid switch assembly for old Maytag washer was $44.
Same part available on-line through part supplier for $27.

Aspasia
Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote in message
On 1 Oct 2006 18:56:55 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"

As I wrote in companion thread "extended warranties - worth it?"
Sears price for lid switch assembly for old Maytag washer was $44.
Same part available on-line through part supplier for $27.

I always thought Sears parts were overpriced, but I checked around for some
parts for our circa-ten-year-old Frigidare dishwasher last month, and Sears
was pretty much the same as most other places I called, actually a little
cheaper than one or two of them.

One of the other places had the items in stock, though, and Sears needed to
order, so I didn't buy from them.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Tim Fischer" wrote:

One of the other places had the items in stock, though, and Sears needed to
order, so I didn't buy from them.

Well, at least they were honest enough to tell you they had to order it. In my
experience, Sears will tell you they have the part "in stock" regardless of
whether they do or not -- because, to them, "in stock" means "the computer
says we can get it". It most definitely does *not* mean that they actually
have the part.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Yes last time I bought an appliance there. Delivery guy also dropped door
of refrigeratior on hardwood floor. Lowes paid for repair no quibbles about
it.

wrote:

Compare prices at Lowes. If considering an extended warratny Lowes is
much
cheaper on the service agreements.

Thanks. There's no Lowe's near me, but it might be worth checking
out.

However, Sears offers free delivery and installation. Does Lowe's?

****What does the group think of extended warranties? Worth it?***

Aspasia

aspasia wrote in message
om...
I have to get a new washer. Don't want fancy bells & whistles, just a
washer that does its job; won't crash tomorrow. I don't need extra
capcity.

I looked at a Whirlpool at Sears that I liked, but it's not on special
any more. Salesperson said Kenmore is made by Whirlpool and is on
special.

Questions:

1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?

2. Is there a difference in quality between W. and K.?

3. Sorry I don't have a model number, but the Whirlpool I was
looking at is about $395.

After spending ages on-line trying to get comparative info, I'm more
confused than ever.

Any voice-of-experience/repair professional advice out there?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:12:28 -0700, aspasia wrote:

I looked at a Whirlpool at Sears that I liked, but it's not on special
any more. Salesperson said Kenmore is made by Whirlpool and is on
special.

There are so many companies that bought others it is hard to tell
anymore. I suggest looking at Consumer Reports. Get the largest
capacity, I think it's "Super Capacity." The fewer gadgets, the
better. I like "scratch and dent" and keep the $100. My Whirlpool is
over 16 years old and still kicking, but I'm not sure if Whirlpool has
the same quality today in washers. Kenmore is a good brand. I found
that generally Sears won't haggle over price, but a Mom-and-Pop
usually will.

I think that a lot of items are scratched or dented simply because
Sears stores use hand carts that scrape bare metal against the
products. So if you plan on buyng an open box item, bring along some
cardboard or a towel, and insist that Sears cover the product with it
before they haul it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most items at outlets are returns from other customers, not scratched
or dented as most people think. If you compare prices, though, you
will find that they are pretty much the same as brand new items.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
I have to get a new washer. Don't want fancy bells & whistles, just a
washer that does its job; won't crash tomorrow. I don't need extra
capcity.

I looked at a Whirlpool at Sears that I liked, but it's not on special
any more. Salesperson said Kenmore is made by Whirlpool and is on
special.

Questions:

1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?

2. Is there a difference in quality between W. and K.?

Whirlpool ranks a tad better according to CR...but it depends on the
model.

3. Sorry I don't have a model number, but the Whirlpool I was
looking at is about $395.

After spending ages on-line trying to get comparative info, I'm more
confused than ever.

Any voice-of-experience/repair professional advice out there?

Tx

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Most items at outlets are returns from other customers, not scratched
or dented as most people think. If you compare prices, though, you
will find that they are pretty much the same as brand new items.

I just bought an LG Dishwasher ($799 at Home Depot) at an ApplianceSmart
outlet for $599 as a "scratch and dent". The "dents" were so subtle that
you have to be standing in specific light looking from a specific angle or
you'd never see them. You can be right in front of the unit and feel up and
down and you'd never notice. I'm kind of picky, but for $200 off that was
fine by me.

The thing cleans like a dream, by the way, and it's stainless in and out...

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tim Fischer, Donna East wrote:
Purchased a Whirlpool Washer today & I was praying that the Kenmore which was
$50.00 less wasn't the better one & the salesman just wanted me to pay higher
for him better commission. I worry because first I can't afford wasting $$$ &
2- me females normally suffer bigger loss. Thanks Tim now I don't feel
salesman got 1- in on me.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...re-150829-.htm