Default Kenmore washer acting strange

I have a Kenmore belt drive washer that is acting strange. I will load
the clothes, start it up and after a few minutes the clothes wil
migrate to one side of the tub causing the washer to become
unbalanced. My imbalance switch is not working properly because as the
tub contacts the switch it wil momentarily cut off but then the washer
will cut right back on again. This will go on until I stop the washer,
untangle the clothes from the agitator and redistribute the load only
for the same scenario to repeat itself. I know that the imbalance
switch is supposed to cut off the machine and buzz and not start back
up until the problem is rectified so the switch is bad, but I don't
think that is causing the washer to make the clothes to move to one
side and entangle themselves with the agitator. So if anyone out there
can help me that would be great. If this is any help the washer is
about 12 or 13 years old, give or take.

Richard
Ethan

wrote in message . ..
[...]

Richard-

The only thing I can think of is to make sure that your washer and the
basket are both hanging level. After this many years, one of the
support rods might have rusted off. In my washer, two rods hang down
in front and suspend the basket while a third triangular piece
balances the basket on the top right corner. Chances are the top is
hinged at the back and you can raise top to geta better look. BTW -
If you decide that your washer is dead, does your washer have a fabric
softener/detergent/bleach dispenser? Mine is clogged up and a
replacement part is $80.
Tom

wrote in message
[...]

Add another ten years, give or take. Kenmore went to direct drive in about
1983. Kind of sounds like the agitator is not going back and forth but
turning one direction, only. A low water level might cause similar problem.