Posted to alt.home.repair
aspasia aspasia is offline

Default Washer - Whirlpool vs Kenmore

On 1 Oct 2006 18:56:55 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"

There is no difference in quality between a company's products marketed
under its own brands and those that are brand-engineered for other
retailers.

One important note, though, is that part prices can differ between
pure-branded and brand-engineered products. Let me give you an
example. If your Frigidaire front load washer that appears as Kenmore
at Sears, and GE at Home Depot needs repairs, you will pay a higher
price for the part if it has a GE part number as compared to it having
a Frigidaire part number. It is the same part, but the part number
that appears on the box depends on the channel of distribution that it
takes on the way to you. Most people don't know this, and are unable
to do the math before making a purchase, but I would personally stay
away from products made by other companies that are brand-engineered to
the GE nameplate.

I found that even GE-made appliances have expensive parts. The range
burner temperature control for our GE electric oven was $75 from GE and
hard to find for less than $50, while a Whirlpool equivalent was about
$40 list and could be bought for $27.
.

As I wrote in companion thread "extended warranties - worth it?"
Sears price for lid switch assembly for old Maytag washer was $44.
Same part available on-line through part supplier for $27.

Aspasia