Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unpainted exterior stucco (after roof replacement)

I had my roof replaced last November. There was around 40 feet of stucco
they removed and replaced (height of 8 inches) in order to install the
flashing where the roof met stuccoed vertical walls on the second story.
Some companies do a double layer of stucco, but my contractor did one.

The contractor told me I should prime the new stucco after a month or
two. I did some research and evidently you use a special primer for
stucco. But people said you should paint after priming. So far, I've
done neither. Rains will start in a few weeks, maybe a month, maybe
longer I'm not ready to paint the whole house exterior (two story, 1925
square foot). Should I just prime and paint the unpainted stucco anyway
(use some innocuous color topcoat, water based) in the mean time? Thanks
for guidance.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan_Musicant wrote:
I had my roof replaced last November. There was around 40 feet of
stucco they removed and replaced (height of 8 inches) in order to
install the flashing where the roof met stuccoed vertical walls on
the second story. Some companies do a double layer of stucco, but my
contractor did one.

The contractor told me I should prime the new stucco after a month or
two. I did some research and evidently you use a special primer for
stucco. But people said you should paint after priming. So far, I've
done neither. Rains will start in a few weeks, maybe a month, maybe
longer I'm not ready to paint the whole house exterior (two story,
1925 square foot). Should I just prime and paint the unpainted stucco
anyway (use some innocuous color topcoat, water based) in the mean
time? Thanks for guidance.

Dan

I would say you have already waited too long.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan_Musicant wrote:
I had my roof replaced last November. There was around 40 feet of stucco
they removed and replaced (height of 8 inches) in order to install the
flashing where the roof met stuccoed vertical walls on the second story.
Some companies do a double layer of stucco, but my contractor did one.

The contractor told me I should prime the new stucco after a month or
two. I did some research and evidently you use a special primer for
stucco. But people said you should paint after priming. So far, I've
done neither. Rains will start in a few weeks, maybe a month, maybe
longer I'm not ready to paint the whole house exterior (two story, 1925
square foot). Should I just prime and paint the unpainted stucco anyway
(use some innocuous color topcoat, water based) in the mean time? Thanks
for guidance.

Dan

It strikes me that the prime coat has to do with paint, not stucco.
I would check with stucco manufacturers.
They want their product to work and have tech staff to deal with
questions like this.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Real stucco does not need paint and should not be painted. If your house
is unpainted real stucco a coat of new stucco is best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

:
: The contractor told me I should prime the new stucco after a month or
: two. I did some research and evidently you use a special primer for
: stucco. But people said you should paint after priming. So far, I've
: done neither. Rains will start in a few weeks, maybe a month, maybe
: longer I'm not ready to paint the whole house exterior (two story,
: 1925 square foot). Should I just prime and paint the unpainted stucco
: anyway (use some innocuous color topcoat, water based) in the mean
: time? Thanks for guidance.
:
: Dan
:
: I would say you have already waited too long.
How so? What should I do now?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan_Musicant wrote:
I had my roof replaced last November. There was around 40 feet of stucco
they removed and replaced (height of 8 inches) in order to install the
flashing where the roof met stuccoed vertical walls on the second story.
Some companies do a double layer of stucco, but my contractor did one.

The contractor told me I should prime the new stucco after a month or
two. I did some research and evidently you use a special primer for
stucco. But people said you should paint after priming. So far, I've
done neither. Rains will start in a few weeks, maybe a month, maybe
longer I'm not ready to paint the whole house exterior (two story, 1925
square foot). Should I just prime and paint the unpainted stucco anyway
(use some innocuous color topcoat, water based) in the mean time? Thanks
for guidance.

Dan

Why people paint stucco I just don't get. It can't breathe too well
with paint all over it

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

Well as noted some stucco should not be painted, but if the paint was
for protection of the stucco then it should have been done some time ago.
I would have suggested it being done some time ago even if it was for looks
only as now you have stucco that likely should be cleaned before painting.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

your fine dont worry...i mean we're not supposed to paint stucco
because it makes maintence free turn into maintenance but i doubt you'd
find a new or old house in florida or texas that is not painted. So its
messed up from the start. And they also say you're not supposed to
paint or seal stucco because it breaths but we paint over it anyways.
I'm in florida it rains like hell and sun is like hell and mildew,etc
build like hell...i chose to seal a section of new stucco i had because
moisture like ours generally doesnt go well with bonding.

You're supposed to wait for the stucco to cure, depending on who you
ask some will say 2 months some will say up to a year...same with
concrete! This also gives it time to for efflorence to release which
would make your paint want to peel. I've found with concrete products
the longer the wait to cure the better.

if you dont want to paint now just put some clear masonry sealer ,
thats the special primer, alkyld reistant, koolseal or the like on it.
then prime and paint when you're ready.

** Now my stucco is over block might be different for stucco over
lath,wood,etc. **

thats what i did i a similiar situation, i waited 6+ months for it to
cure, then i sealed it until i got around to painting later in the
year...that way i could hose brush it down instead or
pressurewashing,etc. its been 5 years so far.

thats my story..for what its worth

Dan_Musicant wrote:
I had my roof replaced last November. There was around 40 feet of stucco
they removed and replaced (height of 8 inches) in order to install the
flashing where the roof met stuccoed vertical walls on the second story.
Some companies do a double layer of stucco, but my contractor did one.

The contractor told me I should prime the new stucco after a month or
two. I did some research and evidently you use a special primer for
stucco. But people said you should paint after priming. So far, I've
done neither. Rains will start in a few weeks, maybe a month, maybe
longer I'm not ready to paint the whole house exterior (two story, 1925
square foot). Should I just prime and paint the unpainted stucco anyway
(use some innocuous color topcoat, water based) in the mean time? Thanks
for guidance.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also the stucco breathing is when you have a colored dash coat...you
most definently would'nt want to seal that. That stucco needs to
breath. Dry stucco & moisture cause effloresence naturally if its dash
color coat this will not be a problem. This is chalky white and with
painted stucco efflorencse can cause peeling. If you wait for it to
cure efflorence should be less an issue. To be sure you can seal it.

disclaimer: if my memory of when i did my house years ago on this topic
is correct this is what i seem to remember.