woodyq

Default Anyone want some heart pine roof decking?

I'm remodeling my house in Tampa, FL.. Basically, I'm removing the roof,
adding a second floor, and putting on a new roof. The original roof decking
was made of wood planks, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get
rid of them. If you know some one that might be interested in a bunch of
heart pine planks, read on.

The roof was probably built in the 40s or 50s. It's hard to know for sure
since the building started out as a garage for a house on the adjacent
property. Someone added onto the structure at some point, creating a
guesthouse of sorts, that covers about 1,000 sq. ft.

Sometime in the 60s or 70s the house burned down leaving only the
guesthouse, which is what we've been living in for the past 16 years.

I'm intent on not losing the ceilings and walls on the interior of the first
floor, but I have a plan (which some may call "harebrained") to retain these
structures, but it involves the quick removal of the existing roof, followed
by a quick installation of the second floor, exterior framing, and dry-in on
the new roof.

Let me describe the wood in the roof.

It seems to be mostly pine, but I'm sure a few of the planks are poplar.
All of the rafters are 1.5" x 3.5" S4S squared corner heart pine @ 24" O/C.

The main part of the structure is 20' x 40', covered by a hip roof with
about a 4 pitch. The eaves are 16" (about 18" on angle). For the 20' x 40'
that covers the main, interior part of the house, they used 10" x 3/4"
planks that seem to run the entire length of the structure. Yeah, like 25
to 40 ft.! I don't know where they found the stuff; I wasn't even born.
For the eaves they used 4" x 3/4". There is also a gable roof that "Tees"
out from the long side of the hip that has narrower planks (about 5" to 6")
that are anywhere from 8 to 12 ft. in length as it climbs the roof. All in
all, I'd guess it's about 1300 sq. ft. of 3/4" planking. There are some
knots and checking in a few places, but after 50 years, I don't think it has
too much movement left in it. For obvious reasons, there isn't much termite
damage. I'm sure a few "drywoods" gave it a try here and there, but gave up
after a bite or two. We've tented a couple times, and had the place treated
for "subs" about 15 years ago, but I've removed some of the siding, and even
they weren't interested in the studs.

There are two layers of asphalt shingles, but for whatever reason, there are
almost no roofing nails protruding into the attic.

Anyway, the roof has to go, and here are my options:

1. Have someone pay me some money to allow them to remove my roof in a
timely fashion, and use the wood as they wish.

2. Have someone pay me nothing to remove my roof in a timely fashion, and
use the wood as they wish.

3. Have me pay someone some money to hire them to remove my roof in a timely
fashion, and use the wood as they wish.

or,

4. Have me hire some goons to come over and cut it into manageable sized
pieces to put in a dumpster and send to a landfill.

I work with wood, but I'm no expert on old pine. It's definitely something
you'd probably have to see before you could make any judgment. Any help in
avoid option 4 would be appreciated.

Fraser
www.gofraser.com

Frank Ketchum

"woodyq" wrote in message

I suggest you take some pictures of it and post in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking with a notice here for anyone interested
to check it out.

Frank

FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
finishing new heart pine floors Steve Woodworking 13 July 31st 03 10:20 PM