Posted to alt.home.repair
shawn shawn is offline

Default Unpainted exterior stucco (after roof replacement)

your fine dont worry...i mean we're not supposed to paint stucco
because it makes maintence free turn into maintenance but i doubt you'd
find a new or old house in florida or texas that is not painted. So its
messed up from the start. And they also say you're not supposed to
paint or seal stucco because it breaths but we paint over it anyways.
I'm in florida it rains like hell and sun is like hell and mildew,etc
build like hell...i chose to seal a section of new stucco i had because
moisture like ours generally doesnt go well with bonding.

You're supposed to wait for the stucco to cure, depending on who you
ask some will say 2 months some will say up to a year...same with
concrete! This also gives it time to for efflorence to release which
would make your paint want to peel. I've found with concrete products
the longer the wait to cure the better.

if you dont want to paint now just put some clear masonry sealer ,
thats the special primer, alkyld reistant, koolseal or the like on it.
then prime and paint when you're ready.

** Now my stucco is over block might be different for stucco over
lath,wood,etc. **

thats what i did i a similiar situation, i waited 6+ months for it to
cure, then i sealed it until i got around to painting later in the
year...that way i could hose brush it down instead or
pressurewashing,etc. its been 5 years so far.

thats my story..for what its worth

Dan_Musicant wrote:
I had my roof replaced last November. There was around 40 feet of stucco
they removed and replaced (height of 8 inches) in order to install the
flashing where the roof met stuccoed vertical walls on the second story.
Some companies do a double layer of stucco, but my contractor did one.

The contractor told me I should prime the new stucco after a month or
two. I did some research and evidently you use a special primer for
stucco. But people said you should paint after priming. So far, I've
done neither. Rains will start in a few weeks, maybe a month, maybe
longer I'm not ready to paint the whole house exterior (two story, 1925
square foot). Should I just prime and paint the unpainted stucco anyway
(use some innocuous color topcoat, water based) in the mean time? Thanks
for guidance.

Dan