Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Unpainted exterior stucco (after roof replacement)

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:01:09 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Dan_Musicant wrote:
I had my roof replaced last November. There was around 40 feet of
stucco they removed and replaced (height of 8 inches) in order to
install the flashing where the roof met stuccoed vertical walls on
the second story. Some companies do a double layer of stucco, but my
contractor did one.

The contractor told me I should prime the new stucco after a month
or two. I did some research and evidently you use a special primer
for stucco. But people said you should paint after priming. So far,
I've done neither. Rains will start in a few weeks, maybe a month,
maybe longer I'm not ready to paint the whole house exterior (two
story, 1925 square foot). Should I just prime and paint the
unpainted stucco anyway (use some innocuous color topcoat, water
based) in the mean time? Thanks for guidance.

Dan

I would say you have already waited too long.

How so? What should I do now?

Well as noted some stucco should not be painted, but if the paint was
for protection of the stucco then it should have been done some time ago.
I would have suggested it being done some time ago even if it was for looks
only as now you have stucco that likely should be cleaned before painting.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit