Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof Leak around chimney

My chimney definitely needs some new flashing around it. I have a leak
and water has gotten into the attic area and started to cause the
plywood below the chimney to warp and bend.
The roof has two layers of shingles on the roof. The 2nd layer is less
than 10 years old.

At this time, I would like to stop the leakage with getting the
flashing replaced. I am thinking that the warped plywood can be
replaced when we reshingle again in 10 years or so.

Our chimney "top" above the roofline has a "brick look" asbestos
material. It seems to be in good shape.

I have gotten a couple of suggestions and not sure which is "most
sound". Naturally, my goal is to get the remaining 10 years left out
of the existing roof. Which sounds like the best solution?

1) Tar/seal around the chimney. (Cheap $100 - but will it work and for
how long?)
2) Replace asbestos chimney top with aluminum/stainless chimney through
roof and replace entire section of roof. Roof replacement = $1300
(doesn't include new chimney cost).
3) Reflash around existing chimney (Inexpensive $250 - should work -
new leaks to be concerned about? I asked the roofer about removing
existing shingles and he said he should be able to tuck the flashing
under the existing shingles (keep in mind there are two layers!). I
have a feeling this isn't going to work well - but he didn't think the
chimney top brick stuff was asbestos.

I know option #2 is probably the BEST solution to ultimately fix the
situation, but I dont really want to put up a new roof when the
existing roof still has half its life left.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Dom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

I'd go with the re-flashing, if the roofer is OK with it- probably
wasn't done when the second layer was put down- probable source of your
problem. Have him check other flashing/ penetrations while he's at it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sev wrote:
I'd go with the re-flashing, if the roofer is OK with it- probably
wasn't done when the second layer was put down- probable source of your
problem. Have him check other flashing/ penetrations while he's at it.

No - it wasn't....

Dom

Posted to alt.home.repair

The other thing to note too, the roofer that suggested the flashing
replacement only did not go up on the roof. However, he did go in the
attic and agreed the problem is coming from the chimney flashing.
I guess I am concerned that if I go with him for the job, he will get
up there and discover it cant done because the chimney is in fact
asbestos "brick look" and he can't seal the flashing properly to it.
Is that a reasonable worry?

Thanks -
Dom

wrote:
Sev wrote:
I'd go with the re-flashing, if the roofer is OK with it- probably
wasn't done when the second layer was put down- probable source of your
problem. Have him check other flashing/ penetrations while he's at it.

No - it wasn't....

Dom

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
he will get
up there and discover it cant done because the chimney is in fact
asbestos "brick look" and he can't seal the flashing properly to it.
Is that a reasonable worry?

No.

Just learned that the "fake brick asbestos" around the chimney is
referred to as the chimney surround. Any idea how much a new one of
those cost (installed)? I hate the thought of the metal chimney
showing coming thru the front part of my roof.

Dom

Posted to alt.home.repair

what condition our the existing shingles? we know they are 10 years
old. are they losing granules? corners wearing? or l;ooking spiffy?

in some areas like phoenix shingles age faster than others.

if you are planning on selling anytime soon or if the shingles are
aging you may be better served by a whole new roof.

apparently whoever added the 2nd layer of shingles didnt replace the
chimney flashing, that probably means the vent flashing, drip edge etc
are all at the end of their life too.

thats why i say consider a new roof, once done its a asset to your home