Posted to alt.home.repair
bee man

Default Roof leak Temporary fixes

My asphalt shingle roof (approximately 20 years old) leaks. This is the
roof over the first floor that covers the kitchen, BR closet and
bathroon. I have had leaks into all three rooms. I replaced the black
felt and 27 feet of shingles (linear) from the side of the second floor
wall outward about three feet. I installed new flashing up under the
old flashing and re-nailed it. I've used black roofing caulk as well as
elastomeric caulk and have slowed down the leaks but not stopped them.

Went back out two days ago and noticed the bottom corner of the windows
were rotted. Since it was about to rain, I caulked the corners and the
area under the windows. That almost stopped the bathroom leaks.

My question is, is there a temporary fix I can apply over the shingles
and the exposed flashing (6 inches) to act as a water barrier until next
spring?

I've looked into Koolseal's elastomeric roof coating but they say it
does not work for asphalt shingles.

Any suggestions? Thanks much.
Posted to alt.home.repair
spt97

Here in Florida, we use blue tarps.

They should last until spring.

Asphalt shingles are pretty crummy by the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

"bee man" wrote in message
[...]

Blue tarps will do for awhile.
What is your roof pitch?. With that many leaks, it may be too low a slope
for shingles to work properly. Before you re-shingle next year, you may wish
to check that you pitch is at least 4" per foot laterally, for replacement
asphalt shingles to work properly. You may have to use another type of
permanent roofing system, if you have a low pitch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

From the description, I'd look at the windows and the weather barrier
in the wall above the roof.
It sounds like we are talking about a one story extension to a two
story house.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
wkearney99

My question is, is there a temporary fix I can apply over the shingles
and the exposed flashing (6 inches) to act as a water barrier until next
spring?

Other than putting a big blue tarp over the roof? No, nothing else
temporary.

But look at it a different way, WHY is water collecting there? What about
the situation isn't getting the water away from the house like it should?
Is the roof pitch too shallow? Are there rain gutters dumping water in the
wrong place? Or are there NO gutters that would move the water to the right
place? Caulking is never a solution for stopping what should be handled
through other means.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"bee man" wrote in message
[...]

I have used a product similar to Koolseal and it did stop the leaks. At work
we have 55 gallons drums of the stuff. Use it every time we touch a
penetration through the roof. Seems to work for us.
You may need several coats to stop the leak. Best to let dry between the
coats.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:50:05 -0700, "SQLit" wrote:

"bee man" wrote in message
[...]

Any Idea as to the name of this stuff?
Posted to alt.home.repair
bee man

spt97 wrote:
Here in Florida, we use blue tarps.

They should last until spring.

Asphalt shingles are pretty crummy by the way.

I am in the Florida Panhandle. There are lots of blue tarps here.
As for the shingles, it isn't my house. Landlord is in another state
and I'm just trying to hold off the leaks until I can move.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bee man

Roger Taylor wrote:
"bee man" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, there are lots of blue tarps around here in the Florida Panhandle.
I don't know what the pitch is. Probably not much. I suspect you may
be correct about the too low pitch being part of the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bee man

wkearney99 wrote:
My question is, is there a temporary fix I can apply over the shingles
and the exposed flashing (6 inches) to act as a water barrier until next
spring?

Other than putting a big blue tarp over the roof? No, nothing else
temporary.

But look at it a different way, WHY is water collecting there? What about
the situation isn't getting the water away from the house like it should?
Is the roof pitch too shallow? Are there rain gutters dumping water in the
wrong place? Or are there NO gutters that would move the water to the right
place? Caulking is never a solution for stopping what should be handled
through other means.

Where may I purchase blue tarp? I thought it was only available from
FEMA? All of the blue roofs I've seen are after hurricanes and FEMA has
OK'ed the roof repair.

The roof pitch may well be too shallow. I don't know what the pitch is.
There are no gutters on the second story roof.

I agree with you that caulking is not the true solution. I don't own
the house so I'm just trying to do some stopgap repairs until I can move.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bee man

SQLit wrote:
"bee man" wrote in message

[...]

What is this product you use? Can it be painted over? Thanks for your
replies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you are chasing down several leaks.
Flashing @ chimney, windows, flashing @ wall & roof, pipe
penetrations...
You are probably doing all that can be done without major work.
Leaks are hard to trace, since water moves around within the
assemblies.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
wkearney99

Where may I purchase blue tarp?

Any sort of tarp would do.

The roof pitch may well be too shallow. I don't know what the pitch is.
There are no gutters on the second story roof.

Then there's your most likely culprit. Letting the water sheet off that
roof and down onto the other is a bad idea. Not just from the water but
from the wear the flow would cause.

I agree with you that caulking is not the true solution.

A section of gutter and some downspout can be bought from your typical home
center for not much money. They're easy enough to install, you just need a
ladder that'll reach.

I don't own
the house so I'm just trying to do some stopgap repairs until I can move.

Well then a BIG UGLY TARP might be just the thing to 'encourage' the owner
to wake up to the damage that's being done to the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:52:02 -0500, "wkearney99"
wrote:

: My question is, is there a temporary fix I can apply over the shingles
: and the exposed flashing (6 inches) to act as a water barrier until next
: spring?
I delayed my reroof job by buying and using a 5 gallon can of roof
cement that cost me $20. I used about 3 gallons of it and after a
September storm caused a leak I couldn't figure out how to stop, I set a
date with a roofing company. I just couldn't imagine where I'd put
cement to stop that leak. I wanted to wait for spring. A foundation
contractor told me he thought the cost of materials would go way up by
spring, so I figured stop the leak or not, it was time to have the roof
done ASAP. The job was long overdue, and it's done now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:50:11 -0600, bee man wrote:

:wkearney99 wrote:
:My question is, is there a temporary fix I can apply over the shingles
:and the exposed flashing (6 inches) to act as a water barrier until next
:spring?
:
:
[...]
I've seen blue tarps all over, in particular Home Depot. I ordered a
silver tarp from Harbor Freight online, and it was a better deal than
Home Depot and evidently a better tarp. This was around two years ago,
and it's on my garage right now. The recent hurricanes may have dried up
the supply of big tarps, though. I couldn't find one after the storms of
summer 2004 to save my ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bee man

:wkearney99 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bee man

wkearney99 wrote:
Where may I purchase blue tarp?

Any sort of tarp would do.

The roof pitch may well be too shallow. I don't know what the pitch is.
There are no gutters on the second story roof.

Then there's your most likely culprit. Letting the water sheet off that
roof and down onto the other is a bad idea. Not just from the water but
from the wear the flow would cause.

I agree with you that caulking is not the true solution.

A section of gutter and some downspout can be bought from your typical home
center for not much money. They're easy enough to install, you just need a
ladder that'll reach.

I agree with you and will do this right after Christmas.

I don't own
the house so I'm just trying to do some stopgap repairs until I can move.

Well then a BIG UGLY TARP might be just the thing to 'encourage' the owner
to wake up to the damage that's being done to the house.

LOL, you just might have the ticket here. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

:Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it.
I've seen blue tarps all over, in particular Home Depot. I ordered a
silver tarp from Harbor Freight online, and it was a better deal than
Home Depot and evidently a better tarp. This was around two years ago,
and it's on my garage right now. The recent hurricanes may have dried up
the supply of big tarps, though. I couldn't find one after the storms of
summer 2004 to save my ass.

Substitute black or clear polypropelyne sheet in rolls, and just put
the lathe down closer together. 'Specially if someone else owns the
roof.