Rich

Default New roof, same leak down side of chimney

What kind of siding? The reason I ask is I had a leak and discovered that
it was caused by the brick at the top not being caulked to the trim board. I
found this out by going to the brick inst. and they said that water can
travel up 1" for every 10 miles an hour of wind so it only took a 10 mile an
hour to get water up the inch it took to get up to the top of the brick then
it would saturate and the rest would flow down the wall an onto my sill
plate.

Good luck, Rich
"The Amazing Exploding Arab" wrote in message
I had a new roof put on my rancher in December, but after a heavy rain
I occasionally see a small pool of water in my basement next to the
chimney. It's nothing that a paper towel or two can't sop up, but I'm
still concerned that the leak might cause wood rot on the way
down...if it hasn't done so already. I bought the house last
September and noticed bigger pools of water before I had the roof
done, so at least it appears the new roof helped somewhat in this
area. The roofers came out before to fix it, but it looks like it's
still happening. (it looks like it's trickling down the OTHER side of
the chimney now, so they might have only fixed one side)

Anyone have any suggestions what it might be, or how to fix it? Is
this something I'd be better calling a chimney repair guy on?

HRL

"The Amazing Exploding Arab" wrote in message
I had a new roof put on my rancher in December, but after a heavy rain
I occasionally see a small pool of water in my basement next to the
chimney. It's nothing that a paper towel or two can't sop up, but I'm
still concerned that the leak might cause wood rot on the way
down...if it hasn't done so already. I bought the house last
September and noticed bigger pools of water before I had the roof
done, so at least it appears the new roof helped somewhat in this
area. The roofers came out before to fix it, but it looks like it's
still happening. (it looks like it's trickling down the OTHER side of
the chimney now, so they might have only fixed one side)

Anyone have any suggestions what it might be, or how to fix it? Is
this something I'd be better calling a chimney repair guy on?

I have something similar except it is a fireplace chimney. One side of the
fireplace is plugged at the top yet water comes down from the interior after
rather heavy rain. The roof is a rather new Gerard stone covered steel and
very well sealed along the chimney line. Since it is getting to the inside
of the chimney I think the mortar is porous. I have been considering
spraying the outside of the chimney with a water repellant such as
Thompson's. Concrete care sealer.

John Willis

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:36:41 GMT, "HRL" scribbled
this interesting note:

"The Amazing Exploding Arab" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Check the cap first...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Edwin Pawlowski

"John Willis" wrote in message
Check the cap first...

Check between the liner and the brick second.

HRL

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"John Willis" wrote in message
Check the cap first...

Check between the liner and the brick second.

That section is capped with cement. I put some tar type waterproofing on it
already.
No way to see inside. Inside the house that area is just a place to store
wood or whatever.
The other section is open with a screened hood on the top to keep out birds
and animals (A neighbor had a couple racoons come down that way!! -
wrecked the house). I don't notice any water coming down on that side.

John Willis

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:51:21 GMT, "HRL" scribbled
this interesting note:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"John Willis" wrote in message
Check the cap first...

Check between the liner and the brick second.

That section is capped with cement. I put some tar type waterproofing on it
already.
No way to see inside. Inside the house that area is just a place to store
wood or whatever.
The other section is open with a screened hood on the top to keep out birds
and animals (A neighbor had a couple racoons come down that way!! -
wrecked the house). I don't notice any water coming down on that side.

It doesn't take much of a crack in that mortar cap to cause the kind
of leak you describe.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
HRL

[...]

I agree. I do not see any cracks. But the mortar may be porus enough that
after a few hours of rain it begans to seep through. I live in Colorado
where we do not get many days like that. Shows up less than once a year.
I don't think it can be coming in from the top. I just am thinking if I
sprayed on some of that Thompson's water seal it might do the job.

John Willis

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:57:52 GMT, "HRL" scribbled
this interesting note:

It doesn't take much of a crack in that mortar cap to cause the kind
of leak you describe.

I agree. I do not see any cracks. But the mortar may be porus enough that
after a few hours of rain it begans to seep through. I live in Colorado
where we do not get many days like that. Shows up less than once a year.
I don't think it can be coming in from the top. I just am thinking if I
sprayed on some of that Thompson's water seal it might do the job.

It might, but I doubt it will do any good. You have a small spot
somewhere that water is getting through. I suspect until you find that
one little place you will continue to have this problem...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Doobie

Guys, thanks to all of your replies to my original note. While I'm
waiting for my roofer to call back (wish me luck), I think I might
give a chimney place a call and ask them to seal everything up tight.
I'd do it myself, but I'm not handy, plus I'm a big guy (300 lbs.)...a
combination that has disaster written all over it. LOL