Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Problems with air conditioner

x-no:archive:yes

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a
bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was very
hot. Air was blowing through vents but not cold. The condenser outside
was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning. Eventually finally the
buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades
very easily. Could this be the fan motor? I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself. I have
two kids and money is tight right now. I saw no obvious leaks. I have a
leak checker but it will be the morning before I can. But wouldnt it be
making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess was
the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety
measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I dont
know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars.
Any help is appreciated!

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16 Jul 2006 19:52:44 -0700, "stryped" wrote:

x-no:archive:no

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a
bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was very
hot. Air was blowing through vents but not cold. The condenser outside
was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning. Eventually finally the
buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades
very easily. Could this be the fan motor?

What, the thing with the fan blades ? Yes, that could be the
fan motor.

I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself. I have

No.

two kids and money is tight right now.

Oh well.

I saw no obvious leaks. I have a
leak checker but it will be the morning before I can. But wouldnt it be
making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess was
the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety
measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I dont
know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars.
Any help is appreciated!

Then call a local service company to come fix it, and show
your appreciation by paying them.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Might be the capacitor.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:20:52 -0500, "Ron Moore"
wrote:

Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Seeing as you have no ****ing clue, you need to STFU.

"stryped" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Yea..you got a problem alright....

goodman didnt make, nor do they make, a one ton AC unit.

yea....its out of refrigerant..yea..thats it..thats why the FAN
quit..damn...how ****ing simple is that?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
AL AL is offline

Problem with your fan motor. Some have start and run capacitors. Some only
have a run capacitor (ie. permanent split capacitor motor). I had the same
problem with my home a/c 2 years ago. I ordered my motor from
arnoldservice.com (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Shut up, you stupid clueless ****wit.

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:12:02 -0500, "Mike"
wrote:

Might be the capacitor.

Might be the muffler.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
x-no:archive:yes

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a
bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was very
hot.

Which part was very hot? The outside part, or the indoor part?

Air was blowing through vents but not cold.

That's because it was very hot.

The condenser outside was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning.
Eventually finally the
buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades
very easily. Could this be the fan motor?

Could what be the fan motor? You just said you were turning the fan blades
with a screwdriver. A screwdriver is not a fan motor. It's used for turning
screws, not fan blades. A fan motor is what turns fan blades.

I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself. I have
two kids and money is tight right now. I saw no obvious leaks. I have a
leak checker but it will be the morning before I can.

What kind of leak were you looking for? If you are trying to say that it's
not cooling, then likely, you won't see condensate leaking. If on the other
hand, you were trying to see a refrigerant leak, you won't see that either.
As far as having a multimeter, and a leak checker (and that could mean
anything from this http://www.aps.anl.gov/st_catalog/htmls/D118.html on up
to http://www.bacharach-inc.com/h25ir.htm ) what difference will that make
for you? If there's an electrical issue, someone will need to come fix it
for you. If you think you found a leak, you can't fix that either. If you
didn't need to go in the bonus room for several days, it can probably wait
until you can get someone to come figure out what's up.

But wouldnt it be
making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess was
the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety
measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I dont
know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars.
Any help is appreciated!

A home air conditioner is not the same as a car (or a car air conditioner,
for that matter). A car is not going to electrocute you. In a car, you are
dealing with 12 volts, and maybe 30,000 volts pulsed. Get your fingers in
the wrong place, and it WILL knock you on your ass - the injuries come after
the shock, not from it. Home AC, 240 volts, all in the open. It won't knock
you back. It will grab you, and hold you. As for your theory of shutting off
with no refrigerant, remember, you said Goodman. Cars are required to have
high and low pressure cutoffs because of safety issues. Goodman probably
isn't gonna have that. The consequences of burning up a home AC compressor
are not the same as putting chunks of car AC compressor through the hood at
highway speeds.

Safety lesson over.

Aside from anything else, you have not even begun to provide any information
(and don't bother, just call someone to see if anything is wrong) that would
allow someone to take a guess as to what the problem might be. Well not
quite enough (start and run in one.... never mind) We don't know if this
thing is split or package.

One other thing...... try replacing the thermostat.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself.

Yes, but you need a multimeter and you must also know how to use it.

--

SVL

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
AL AL is offline

Look for bulges in the housing, or visible leaks (mineral oil if new, PCB's
if old). They do sell capacitor testers, but they are very expensive. If
in doubt, replace. Capacitors are cheap.

How can i check to see if my capacitor is bad?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Goodman doesn't make a 1 ton split..... but you can make me a liar by
posting the model and serial numbers
The buzzing went off when something else tripped or burnt up so by not
turning it off immediately, you have compounded your problem(s). Hopefully
you didn't fry the fan motor or the compressor with your screwing around. If
the motor and compressor are ok, it will be a simple, inexpensive repair.
Your problem has *NOTHING* to do with the refrigerant system, and has
everything to do with Goodman being the cheapest made POS around.
There is no comparison between a car a/c and a home comfort system. I have a
couple of customers that still haven't learned that what might work on a car
a/c will destroy a home comfort system.
*Most* competent HVAC techs will immediately know exactly what your problem
is and have the parts on the truck.

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 03:54:29 GMT,
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:37:34 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Problem with your fan motor. Some have start and run capacitors. Some only
have a run capacitor (ie. permanent split capacitor motor). I had the same
problem with my home a/c 2 years ago. I ordered my motor from
arnoldservice.com (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

Shut up, you stupid clueless ****wit.

He's a ****ing genius if you ask me, what with diagnosing it over the
internet and never laying eyes on it.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul pjm wrote:
... "Ron Moore" ... wrote:

Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Seeing as you have no ****ing clue, you need to STFU.

You seem to be having some serious problems with English grammar.
As we all know, STFU stands for "So True, Fellow Usenetter"[*]
which obviously just doesn't parse at the end of your sentence
there.

-jiw
[*] Eg, see acronyms table near the end of
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...2bfcc805644165
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:04:21 -0600, James Waldby
wrote:

Paul pjm wrote:
... "Ron Moore" ... wrote:

Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Seeing as you have no ****ing clue, you need to STFU.

You seem to be having some serious problems with English grammar.
As we all know, STFU stands for "So True, Fellow Usenetter"[*]
which obviously just doesn't parse at the end of your sentence
there.

We have differing understandings of the acronym :-)

-jiw

[*] Eg, see acronyms table near the end of
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...2bfcc805644165

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:42:25 -0500, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

So why did she leave you? She couldnt stand your bad attitude or the
drinking and beatings?

And yet you went and started another family you couldnt afford.

Way to go Ace.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Might be a troll, with two sigs.
Ron
wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:12:02 -0500, "Mike"
wrote:

Might be the capacitor.

Might be the muffler.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Probably a bad fan capacitor. Goodman is noted for bad caps. Just
replace it, and be happy. Replace both of htem to be sure. Compressor
caps go bad, also.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16 Jul 2006 19:52:44 -0700, stryped wrote:
x-no:archive:yes

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a
bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was very
hot. Air was blowing through vents but not cold. The condenser outside
was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning. Eventually finally the
buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades
very easily. Could this be the fan motor? I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself.

Sure, take the cover off and see if there is voltage on the fan motor
terminals.

That buzzing, does it seem like the compressor is running?

Poke around with a multimeter and you will likely have your answer
soon.

If you have a clamp on ammeter, you can try to find out how much
current g goping through the wires, that would also help answer a
question whether the compressor pump is running.

Be careful, but not fearful.

I have
two kids and money is tight right now. I saw no obvious leaks. I have a
leak checker but it will be the morning before I can. But wouldnt it be
making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess was
the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety
measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I dont
know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars.
Any help is appreciated!

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Probably a bad fan capacitor. Goodman is noted for bad caps. Just
replace it, and be happy. Replace both of htem to be sure. Compressor
caps go bad, also.

Replace *BOTH* of them??? ROFLMAO

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Probably a bad fan capacitor. Goodman is noted for bad caps. Just
replace it, and be happy. Replace both of htem to be sure. Compressor
caps go bad, also.

Replace *BOTH* of them??? ROFLMAO

Hey. He's not in a profit situation; he wants a reliable unit. If one cap
has failed, the other is probably drying out, and might need replacement
soon. They are inexpensive, compared to the effort and time of pulling the
unit apart. Why NOT change both while you have it apart?

The only thing I'm confused over concerning this post was the size of the
unit vs its configuration. It's only a one ton unit, but it's a split (not
window unit). I'm not familiar with your locale, so this may be
geographical bias. But the smallest unit we can buy around here (Florida)
in split configuration is a two-ton.

Condenser fans are prone to failure for a number of reasons -- often motor
installers (even the original manufacturers) will forget to take out the
weep plugs, and they corrode from accumulated rain water. But usually if
anything else but the cap goes bad, the shaft will get sticky or seize. The
outside fan relay might also be bad -- or one of the crimps on wiring from
the control board to the motor, or from the motor to the cap(s).

LLoyd

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Withdrawn. The real troll is one of the respondents.
Ron
wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:12:02 -0500, "Mike"
wrote:

Might be the capacitor.

Might be the muffler.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:44:43 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Probably a bad fan capacitor. Goodman is noted for bad caps. Just
replace it, and be happy. Replace both of htem to be sure. Compressor
caps go bad, also.

Replace *BOTH* of them??? ROFLMAO

Hey. He's not in a profit situation; he wants a reliable unit. If one cap
has failed, the other is probably drying out, and might need replacement
soon. They are inexpensive, compared to the effort and time of pulling the
unit apart. Why NOT change both while you have it apart?

BECAUSE THERE'S ONLY ONE, ASSHOLE !!!!!

The only thing I'm confused over concerning this post was the size of the
unit vs its configuration. It's only a one ton unit, but it's a split (not
window unit). I'm not familiar with your locale, so this may be
geographical bias. But the smallest unit we can buy around here (Florida)
in split configuration is a two-ton.

Condenser fans are prone to failure for a number of reasons -- often motor
installers (even the original manufacturers) will forget to take out the
weep plugs, and they corrode from accumulated rain water. But usually if
anything else but the cap goes bad, the shaft will get sticky or seize. The
outside fan relay might also be bad -- or one of the crimps on wiring from
the control board to the motor, or from the motor to the cap(s).

LLoyd

Seeing as you've just PROVED how ignorant you are .....

SHUT THE **** UP !!!!!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
mm mm is offline

wrote:

The only thing I'm confused over concerning this post was the size of the
unit vs its configuration. It's only a one ton unit, but it's a split (not
window unit).

If it's not a window unit, it's a split?? I still don't get what a
split is.

I'm not familiar with your locale, so this may be
geographical bias. But the smallest unit we can buy around here (Florida)
in split configuration is a two-ton.

There's a compressor just like mine in the trash right now. 27 years
old. Should I go to the trouble to take out the condensor, the fan
motor, the "contactor" or anything else? Normally I would just do so,
but it's alreay about 98 degrees and I don't feel like it.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
unit apart. Why NOT change both while you have it apart?

BECAUSE THERE'S ONLY ONE, ASSHOLE !!!!!

Who's the asshole? The compressor doesn't have a cap, too?

You didn't read the posts... someone suggested changing the compressor cap
while he was at it, and I agreed. I know perfectly well how many caps a
PSC motor has.

You must have a serious sense of inadequacy to go calling names instead of
posting constructive answers.

If the shoe fits, I guess. It doesn't take much high-level technical
know-how to get to the point of being able to repair hvac equipment. You
guys had to protect your trade status with all the silly EPA stuff. Now it
costs the serious tinkerer a couple-hundred bucks to go take the EPA
certificate tests so he can accidentally blow Freon into the air just like
you do every day on purpose. (sure, he's GOT a reclaimation station... ask
him if he knows how to turn it onG).

BTW... could YOU scratch-build your own thermistor-based vacuum gauge for
refrigeration work and calibrate it? I did, and I know several HSMs here on
the metalworking group who have the skills. Bet not ONE of you could.
Could you build a diffusion pump? Bet you don't even know what one is.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:48:44 GMT, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
BTW... could YOU scratch-build your own thermistor-based vacuum gauge for
refrigeration work and calibrate it? I did, and I know several HSMs here on
the metalworking group who have the skills. Bet not ONE of you could.
Could you build a diffusion pump? Bet you don't even know what one is.

Lloyd, I am interested in making a "deep vacuum" gauge, for up to
fractions of a micron. My vacuum pump can supposedly go down to one
micron, IIRC. (nothing fancy, it is a small Sargent-Welch DuoSeal
pump, but it would be interesting to measure vacuum accurately)

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:48:44 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
unit apart. Why NOT change both while you have it apart?

BECAUSE THERE'S ONLY ONE, ASSHOLE !!!!!

Who's the asshole? The compressor doesn't have a cap, too?

You didn't read the posts... someone suggested changing the compressor cap
while he was at it, and I agreed. I know perfectly well how many caps a
PSC motor has.

Yeh - and do you know what a DUAL CAP IS ?????

You must have a serious sense of inadequacy to go calling names instead of
posting constructive answers.

**** off, bitch, and shove your little ad-hoc psychoanalysis
up your ass.

[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
BTW... could YOU scratch-build your own thermistor-based vacuum gauge for
refrigeration work and calibrate it? I did, and I know several HSMs here
on
the metalworking group who have the skills. Bet not ONE of you could.
Could you build a diffusion pump? Bet you don't even know what one is.

Lloyd, I am interested in making a "deep vacuum" gauge, for up to
fractions of a micron. My vacuum pump can supposedly go down to one
micron, IIRC. (nothing fancy, it is a small Sargent-Welch DuoSeal
pump, but it would be interesting to measure vacuum accurately)

Large fractions of a micron aren't really "deep vacuum" like you'd obtain
with an oil diffusion pump backed with a cold baffle and a really fresh vane
pump. But that's still pretty high. You're talking better the range of
what a good, new Robinaire refrigeration pump can do (down to ... oh... 20
microns, or so).

For your range, thermistor gauges are well-suited. Here's a good writeup of
one that will measure down to 0.5u:

http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/vacf/thermis.html

However, he doesn't go into calibration very much. Borrow a couple of
commercial gauges, and average their readings to do that. With a small
manifold and carefully assembled, leak-free fittings, you should be able to
pull down and scour your new gauge within an hour or so of pumping.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Yeh - and do you know what a DUAL CAP IS ?????

Yep, and many units have separate condensor and compressor caps, in case
your vast experience hasn't exposed you to that, yet. Many PSC air-over
condensor fans have cap pigtails so short you can't get them back into the
weather enclosure, anyway... you have to hang the cap inside the condensor
area, or scab wiring onto them to get back home.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

By the way, PJ...

"HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/"

That software looks like the data took quite a bit of compilation by someone
who might actually understand the information.

So, intelligent people are supposed to be helpful and courteous. The smart
technician knows he'll never actually lose any business by telling "homies"
how to do the work. Half of them will screw it up, or it'll be over their
heads, and they'll call him back, anyway. The other half wouldn't hire him
at any cost, knowing they can muddle through 98% of the problems themselves.
So he doesn't lose anything, and might gain a good reference, were he
helpful.

It's no big deal to sit for the EPA-608 certificates. It's a big deal to
treat people right - both customers and not - all the time, every time.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:09:19 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

By the way, PJ...

"HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/"

That software looks like the data took quite a bit of compilation by someone
who might actually understand the information.

So, intelligent people are supposed to be helpful and courteous.

Says who ?

The smart
technician knows he'll never actually lose any business by telling "homies"
how to do the work. Half of them will screw it up, or it'll be over their
heads, and they'll call him back, anyway. The other half wouldn't hire him
at any cost, knowing they can muddle through 98% of the problems themselves.
So he doesn't lose anything, and might gain a good reference, were he
helpful.

Or he might be wasting his ****ing time.

It's no big deal to sit for the EPA-608 certificates.

Nor was it that big a deal to sit for my 5 Masters licenses.

It's a big deal to
treat people right - both customers and not - all the time, every time.

How very nice and christian of you. However, I'm an atheist,
and I suffer not fools gladly. Oh well.

LLoyd

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

That's right.

For your range, thermistor gauges are well-suited. Here's a good writeup of
one that will measure down to 0.5u:

http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/vacf/thermis.html

However, he doesn't go into calibration very much. Borrow a couple of
commercial gauges, and average their readings to do that. With a small
manifold and carefully assembled, leak-free fittings, you should be able to
pull down and scour your new gauge within an hour or so of pumping.

Sounds great. I printed that page and will read it. Would be great to
have a gauge for measuring micron range vacuum. (I have a dial gauge
now, would be a big improvement).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:37:45 GMT, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:30:16 GMT, CJT wrote:

It's always easy to spot the replies coming from alt.hvac

Ah, another one who doesn't want to take the advice of 'just
don't read it, just don't answer it', but then you w3ant to ****ing
bitch about it if I do.

Yeah, I see what you mean, CJT...

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
x-no:archive:yes

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner.

Replace it.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Probably a bad fan capacitor. Goodman is noted for bad caps. Just
replace it, and be happy. Replace both of htem to be sure. Compressor
caps go bad, also.

Oh man! I've got tears coming down my eyes.

Damm, the internet (I invented it) is ****ing funny.

This mormun is a hoot!

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message
Yeh - and do you know what a DUAL CAP IS ?????

Yep, and many units have separate condensor and compressor caps, in case
your vast experience hasn't exposed you to that, yet. Many PSC air-over
condensor fans have cap pigtails so short you can't get them back into the
weather enclosure, anyway... you have to hang the cap inside the condensor
area, or scab wiring onto them to get back home.

I have not run across any resi equipment that was manufactured after 1993
that *didn't* have a dual run cap for both the compressor and condenser fan.
FWIW, the only caps I have found that need to be hung upside down(terminals
down) are the blower motor caps on mobile homes.
I am *still* waiting on the model and serial numbers on the 1 ton split
system.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Gooman's don't have 'start caps' on the fan motor..