Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Noon-Air Noon-Air is offline

Default Problems with air conditioner

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
x-no:archive:yes

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a
bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was very
hot. Air was blowing through vents but not cold. The condenser outside
was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning. Eventually finally the
buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades
very easily. Could this be the fan motor? I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself. I have
two kids and money is tight right now. I saw no obvious leaks. I have a
leak checker but it will be the morning before I can. But wouldnt it be
making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess was
the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety
measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I dont
know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars.
Any help is appreciated!

Goodman doesn't make a 1 ton split..... but you can make me a liar by
posting the model and serial numbers
The buzzing went off when something else tripped or burnt up so by not
turning it off immediately, you have compounded your problem(s). Hopefully
you didn't fry the fan motor or the compressor with your screwing around. If
the motor and compressor are ok, it will be a simple, inexpensive repair.
Your problem has *NOTHING* to do with the refrigerant system, and has
everything to do with Goodman being the cheapest made POS around.
There is no comparison between a car a/c and a home comfort system. I have a
couple of customers that still haven't learned that what might work on a car
a/c will destroy a home comfort system.
*Most* competent HVAC techs will immediately know exactly what your problem
is and have the parts on the truck.

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.