Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Problems with air conditioner

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Probably a bad fan capacitor. Goodman is noted for bad caps. Just
replace it, and be happy. Replace both of htem to be sure. Compressor
caps go bad, also.

Gooman doesn't make the capicators!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
x-no:archive:yes

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a
bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was
very
hot. Air was blowing through vents but not cold. The condenser outside
was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning. Eventually finally
the
buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades
very easily. Could this be the fan motor? I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself. I have
two kids and money is tight right now. I saw no obvious leaks. I have
leak checker but it will be the morning before I can. But wouldnt it
be
making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess
was
the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety
measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I
dont
know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars.
Any help is appreciated!

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
x-no:archive:yes

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a
bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was very
hot. Air was blowing through vents but not cold. The condenser outside
was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning. Eventually finally the
buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades
very easily. Could this be the fan motor? I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself. I have
two kids and money is tight right now. I saw no obvious leaks. I have a
leak checker but it will be the morning before I can. But wouldnt it be
making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess was
the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety
measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I dont
know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars.
Any help is appreciated!

"Bonus room" and "money is tight" due to "two kids".

Next time use a rubber. In the meantime, don't go up there until it cools
off.

Get some skills and get a better paying job.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.

Are you Morman too?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
.. .

"Ignoramus18860" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:48:44 GMT, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
wrote:
BTW... could YOU scratch-build your own thermistor-based vacuum gauge
for
refrigeration work and calibrate it? I did, and I know several HSMs
here on
the metalworking group who have the skills. Bet not ONE of you could.
Could you build a diffusion pump? Bet you don't even know what one is.

Lloyd, I am interested in making a "deep vacuum" gauge, for up to
fractions of a micron. My vacuum pump can supposedly go down to one
micron, IIRC. (nothing fancy, it is a small Sargent-Welch DuoSeal
pump, but it would be interesting to measure vacuum accurately)

Large fractions of a micron aren't really "deep vacuum" like you'd obtain
with an oil diffusion pump backed with a cold baffle and a really fresh
vane pump. But that's still pretty high. You're talking better the range
of what a good, new Robinaire refrigeration pump can do (down to ... oh...
20 microns, or so).

LLoyd

Wrong. They go that low if you use Mobil 1 10W40 oil in them.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:37:34 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Problem with your fan motor. Some have start and run capacitors. Some only
have a run capacitor (ie. permanent split capacitor motor). I had the same
problem with my home a/c 2 years ago. I ordered my motor from
arnoldservice.com (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

Shut up, you stupid clueless ****wit.

"stryped" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Needing to swear constantly without ever being smart enough to provide the
slightest bit of intelligence is a good sign of clueless.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 04:21:43 GMT, "Pete C."

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:37:34 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Problem with your fan motor. Some have start and run capacitors. Some only
have a run capacitor (ie. permanent split capacitor motor). I had the same
problem with my home a/c 2 years ago. I ordered my motor from
arnoldservice.com (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

Shut up, you stupid clueless ****wit.

Stop cross-posting there, ****wit.

Who made you a potty mouthed moron in charge? You don't control any group, but it
is hilarious to watch you try! :-) Thanks for the laughs as usual, Mulligan.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.

Are you Morman too?

Nope... I just made the mistake of getting married.........twice

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:49:26 -0400, Owen Hague

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

GO **** yourself.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:30:55 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year.
Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest
I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere
and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of
the *******s when a deminimus release happens?
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:28:22 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe he can sell you a personality?

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:31:33 -0500, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.

Are you Morman too?

Nope... I just made the mistake of getting married.........twice

Based on your posts..Id have to say two women ****ed up, but one
corrected her mistake.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

While that's possibly true (they use GE caps, eh?) it doesn't really
change my advice very much.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"HeatMan" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Probably a bad fan capacitor. Goodman is noted for bad caps. Just
replace it, and be happy. Replace both of htem to be sure.

Compressor
caps go bad, also.

Gooman doesn't make the capicators!

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Default Problems with air conditioner -- wasps

No, but I'd like to.

Wasps are aparently active and nasty this year. I was at a church
social last Saturday. A girl about three or four got stung on the leg
by a wasp. Turns out the bleachers along side the softball field had
several large and active nests.

Folks, lets be careful. Pull the covers slowly. Listen. Have wasp and
hornet spray within reach.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote:

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year.
Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest
I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere
and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of
the *******s when a deminimus release happens?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
While that's possibly true (they use GE caps, eh?) it doesn't really
change my advice very much.

Quality of components is one aspect of a quality unit. Another is a
quality of design. Still another is quality of assembly.

Goodman has to cut corners EVERYWHERE as they lead the industry in
supplying low cost units.

OTOH, I think that they own the Amana AC brand, so to keep that brand's
reputation, they MUST be using higher quality components on those units.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year.
Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest
I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere
and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of
the *******s when a deminimus release happens?

You don't thump the side of the unit to see if theres anybody home??
I buy wasp killer by the case.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.

Are you Morman too?

Nope... I just made the mistake of getting married.........twice

Yeah, me too.

At least no kids (except the cats-- and I got full custody).

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year.
Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest
I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere
and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of
the *******s when a deminimus release happens?

We finnally got some rain last week, and now the friggin' Mud-daubers are
active. There are mud nests all over everything! I finally blew my top
when I found a big one on my smoker. (they can mess with a lot of things,
but don't mess with my smoked ribs!)

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message
Yeh - and do you know what a DUAL CAP IS ?????

Yep, and many units have separate condensor and compressor caps, in case
your vast experience hasn't exposed you to that, yet. Many PSC air-over
condensor fans have cap pigtails so short you can't get them back into the
weather enclosure, anyway... you have to hang the cap inside the condensor
area, or scab wiring onto them to get back home.

LLoyd

Well.......hell......

Looks like Paul got ya here, since Goodman uses a dual cap, meaning, only
one in the unit. On both a heat pump and a straight split, it sits right in
the same place, over on teh left side of the access panel, with one 5/16s
screw holding a band around it to keep it in place. The cap isnt a start cap
for the fan motor, but you knew that, altho a few in here didnt.

Now, for clarification since its obvious that a few wanted to jump in with
both feet and cant seem to comprehend the entire thread...

Stormin Moron made a comment, replace both. What he MEANS is replace both
the fan motor AND the cap. What he was THINKING was that the unit had a sep
5-370 for the fan motor, when it would not. Therefore, his comment about
things being cheap kinda went away real fast, altho some took it the wrong
way and totally ignored the fact that he wasnt talking about replacing BOTH
caps, even though there is only one, but he didnt know that, but had to go
on and speak about it anyway.

OR

He really DID mean to replace both caps. He did state that compressor caps
can go bad too, (gee ****ing willikers buckwheat!! REally??)
In THAT case, he means to replace both caps. Gee..since there is only one in
the unit, and its a dual cap, logic dictates that you would be doing that
anyway. Unless, of course, you were going to run a jumper from the C
terminal over to a new single cap and then simply transfer over the leads
from the FAN term to the new cap, but why would you do that, when thats not
a true repair, but a trashy looking bandaide?

Either way, the bashing going on from both sides in this case looks silly.
Everyone with half a brain can see that Stormy Moron is nothing but a
wannabe that thinks hes got a clue.
Prob got good intentions, but the road to hell is paved with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:50:56 -0400, Owen Hague

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 04:21:43 GMT, "Pete C."

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:37:34 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Problem with your fan motor. Some have start and run capacitors. Some only
have a run capacitor (ie. permanent split capacitor motor). I had the same
problem with my home a/c 2 years ago. I ordered my motor from
arnoldservice.com (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

Shut up, you stupid clueless ****wit.

Stop cross-posting there, ****wit.

Who made you a potty mouthed moron in charge? You don't control any group, but it
is hilarious to watch you try! :-) Thanks for the laughs as usual, Mulligan.

GO **** yourself.

LOL! Keep the laughs coming, kid.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

wrote in article
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:30:16 GMT, CJT wrote:

How can i check to see if my capacitor is bad?

Put your tongue across the terminals, like a 9 volt battery.

If it tingles, it's OK.

snip

It's always easy to spot the replies coming from alt.hvac

Ah, another one who doesn't want to take the advice of 'just
don't read it, just don't answer it', but then you w3ant to ****ing
bitch about it if I do.

Bite me, moron.

I just took a little spin over to the alt.hvac home field to observe this
guy in his natural habitat....his self-professed field of expertise.

He's just a trolling moron.

One poster asked the simple question, "Who do you think makes the best
A/C?"

****head replies, "God"

Apparently his greatest talent lies in using the word "****".

He seems better suited for that than to work in private homes where wives
and children are often present.

I've seen guys fired for not presenting a good image to a homeowner. I
don't understand how this guy continues to work in this field - unless, of
course, he actually IS the phony he is rapidly proving himself to be, and
doesn't really work in the industry.

I suspect that, without a union card this guy would be wiping tables and
swabbing floors at the local fast-food joint.

Maybe that's what he does, anyway.....and he's ****ed off that he didn't
spend more time studying and less time doping.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Don is offline

It's always a hoot when the trailer gnome weighs in. No credible background
in repair but he's always available for comic relief.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Blow me, you ****ing asshole.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd like to know what shop he works for or owns (giggle) so I know whom not
to call when I need AC service.
Tom
"Don" wrote in message
.. .
It's always a hoot when the trailer gnome weighs in. No credible

background
in repair but he's always available for comic relief.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:35:08 GMT, "Tom Wait"
wrote:

I'd like to know what shop he works for or owns (giggle) so I know whom not
to call when I need AC service.
Tom
"Don" wrote in message
. ..
It's always a hoot when the trailer gnome weighs in. No credible

background
in repair but he's always available for comic relief.

You couldn't afford me, asshole.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Tom Wait wrote:
I'd like to know what shop he works for or owns (giggle) so I know whom not
to call when I need AC service.
Tom
"Don" wrote in message
.. .
It's always a hoot when the trailer gnome weighs in. No credible

background
in repair but he's always available for comic relief.

Now, now boys, you shouldn't pick on someone just because they're
different. Paul has some troubling latent homosexual tendencies which
are better not discussed in this forum. Just let him be in peace at
his mom's trailer.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

No, but I'd like to.

Wasps are aparently active and nasty this year. I was at a church
social last Saturday. A girl about three or four got stung on the leg
by a wasp. Turns out the bleachers along side the softball field had
several large and active nests.

Folks, lets be careful. Pull the covers slowly. Listen. Have wasp and
hornet spray within reach.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

I tend to proactively spray into any suspect enclosure and wait a bit
before opening. If I can find a hole to spray into, a wasp could find
it's way in as well.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
news
Stormin Mormon wrote:
While that's possibly true (they use GE caps, eh?) it doesn't really
change my advice very much.

Quality of components is one aspect of a quality unit. Another is a
quality of design. Still another is quality of assembly.

Goodman has to cut corners EVERYWHERE as they lead the industry in
supplying low cost units.

OTOH, I think that they own the Amana AC brand, so to keep that brand's
reputation, they MUST be using higher quality components on those units.

IMO, they bought Amana to attempt to gain some respectability.....

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year.
Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest
I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere
and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of
the *******s when a deminimus release happens?

You don't thump the side of the unit to see if theres anybody home??
I buy wasp killer by the case.

I beat the caps on the big propane tanks, even when it's 40° out.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

wrote in article
wrote:

I'd like to know what shop he works for or owns (giggle) so I know whom

not
to call when I need AC service.
Tom

You couldn't afford me, asshole.

--

No! No! You misunderstood.......

He's talking about your alleged day job in HVAC........

.......NOT when you go out cruising the gay bars at night.

And, don't tell me you're not gay.

Everybody you have solicited for oral sex here has been male..........

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Ah, the Eugene Tackleberry approach. Excellent.
http://www.tinet.ru/~stern/mix/police/pa1_20.jpg

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pete C." wrote in message

I tend to proactively spray into any suspect enclosure and wait a bit
before opening. If I can find a hole to spray into, a wasp could find
it's way in as well.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Problems with wasps

Aren't those propane cylinders a hoot? Near to guarantee to find a
nest under the cap. Amazing, how many places wasps and hornets find to
next.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"HeatMan" wrote in message

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..
You don't thump the side of the unit to see if theres anybody home??
I buy wasp killer by the case.

I beat the caps on the big propane tanks, even when it's 40° out.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:07:35 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Aren't those propane cylinders a hoot? Near to guarantee to find a
nest under the cap. Amazing, how many places wasps and hornets find to
next.

Last time I found a wasp nest where I wanted to be I didn't have any
appropriate chemicals to dispatch them with. I did still have half a dozen
Romeo-y-Julietta Churchill cigars and had given up smoking a couple of years
before. The wasps were thoroughly stoned by the time that the nicotine bonfire
had finished. What a terrible waste...

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

aka-SBM posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Prob got good intentions,

You are giving him way too much credit. If he really wanted to help he would
go to school and shut up until he can defend his his reasoning... I have good
intentions but don't guess about things that can kill people.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

No, but I'd like to.

Wasps are aparently active and nasty this year. I was at a church
social last Saturday. A girl about three or four got stung on the leg
by a wasp. Turns out the bleachers along side the softball field had
several large and active nests.

Folks, lets be careful. Pull the covers slowly. Listen. Have wasp and
hornet spray within reach.
.

I tend to proactively spray into any suspect enclosure and wait a bit
before opening. If I can find a hole to spray into, a wasp could find
it's way in as well.

So, you'd shove a can of bee killer up the mormun's
ass and pull the trigger?

Sounds like a good idea.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16 Jul 2006 19:52:44 -0700, "stryped" wrote:

I have 3 year old Goodman

That's the problem!

--
-john