Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Problems with air conditioner

x-no:archive:yes

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a
bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was very
hot. Air was blowing through vents but not cold. The condenser outside
was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning. Eventually finally the
buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades
very easily. Could this be the fan motor? I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself. I have
two kids and money is tight right now. I saw no obvious leaks. I have a
leak checker but it will be the morning before I can. But wouldnt it be
making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess was
the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety
measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I dont
know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars.
Any help is appreciated!

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16 Jul 2006 19:52:44 -0700, "stryped" wrote:

x-no:archive:no

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a
bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was very
hot. Air was blowing through vents but not cold. The condenser outside
was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning. Eventually finally the
buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades
very easily. Could this be the fan motor?

What, the thing with the fan blades ? Yes, that could be the
fan motor.

I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself. I have

No.

two kids and money is tight right now.

Oh well.

I saw no obvious leaks. I have a
leak checker but it will be the morning before I can. But wouldnt it be
making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess was
the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety
measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I dont
know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars.
Any help is appreciated!

Then call a local service company to come fix it, and show
your appreciation by paying them.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:20:52 -0500, "Ron Moore"
wrote:

Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Seeing as you have no ****ing clue, you need to STFU.

"stryped" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul pjm wrote:
... "Ron Moore" ... wrote:

Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Seeing as you have no ****ing clue, you need to STFU.

You seem to be having some serious problems with English grammar.
As we all know, STFU stands for "So True, Fellow Usenetter"[*]
which obviously just doesn't parse at the end of your sentence
there.

-jiw
[*] Eg, see acronyms table near the end of
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...2bfcc805644165

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:04:21 -0600, James Waldby
wrote:

Paul pjm wrote:
... "Ron Moore" ... wrote:

Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Seeing as you have no ****ing clue, you need to STFU.

You seem to be having some serious problems with English grammar.
As we all know, STFU stands for "So True, Fellow Usenetter"[*]
which obviously just doesn't parse at the end of your sentence
there.

We have differing understandings of the acronym :-)

-jiw

[*] Eg, see acronyms table near the end of
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...2bfcc805644165

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Don is offline

It's always a hoot when the trailer gnome weighs in. No credible background
in repair but he's always available for comic relief.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd like to know what shop he works for or owns (giggle) so I know whom not
to call when I need AC service.
Tom
"Don" wrote in message
.. .
It's always a hoot when the trailer gnome weighs in. No credible

background
in repair but he's always available for comic relief.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Tom Wait wrote:
I'd like to know what shop he works for or owns (giggle) so I know whom not
to call when I need AC service.
Tom
"Don" wrote in message
.. .
It's always a hoot when the trailer gnome weighs in. No credible

background
in repair but he's always available for comic relief.

Now, now boys, you shouldn't pick on someone just because they're
different. Paul has some troubling latent homosexual tendencies which
are better not discussed in this forum. Just let him be in peace at
his mom's trailer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:35:08 GMT, "Tom Wait"
wrote:

I'd like to know what shop he works for or owns (giggle) so I know whom not
to call when I need AC service.
Tom
"Don" wrote in message
. ..
It's always a hoot when the trailer gnome weighs in. No credible

background
in repair but he's always available for comic relief.

You couldn't afford me, asshole.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Blow me, you ****ing asshole.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Gooman's don't have 'start caps' on the fan motor..

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
Sounds like the starting cap on the fan motor gone away. Hopefully, when
the buzzing went away, the motor didn't leave with it. Try the cap.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:30:55 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year.
Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest
I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere
and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of
the *******s when a deminimus release happens?
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Default Problems with air conditioner -- wasps

No, but I'd like to.

Wasps are aparently active and nasty this year. I was at a church
social last Saturday. A girl about three or four got stung on the leg
by a wasp. Turns out the bleachers along side the softball field had
several large and active nests.

Folks, lets be careful. Pull the covers slowly. Listen. Have wasp and
hornet spray within reach.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote:

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year.
Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest
I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere
and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of
the *******s when a deminimus release happens?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

No, but I'd like to.

Wasps are aparently active and nasty this year. I was at a church
social last Saturday. A girl about three or four got stung on the leg
by a wasp. Turns out the bleachers along side the softball field had
several large and active nests.

Folks, lets be careful. Pull the covers slowly. Listen. Have wasp and
hornet spray within reach.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

I tend to proactively spray into any suspect enclosure and wait a bit
before opening. If I can find a hole to spray into, a wasp could find
it's way in as well.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year.
Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest
I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere
and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of
the *******s when a deminimus release happens?

You don't thump the side of the unit to see if theres anybody home??
I buy wasp killer by the case.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year.
Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest
I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere
and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of
the *******s when a deminimus release happens?

You don't thump the side of the unit to see if theres anybody home??
I buy wasp killer by the case.

I beat the caps on the big propane tanks, even when it's 40° out.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My outside unit was buzzing, but it was the BFWN* inside it.

*BFWN = big ****ing wasp nest

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year.
Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest
I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere
and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of
the *******s when a deminimus release happens?

We finnally got some rain last week, and now the friggin' Mud-daubers are
active. There are mud nests all over everything! I finally blew my top
when I found a big one on my smoker. (they can mess with a lot of things,
but don't mess with my smoked ribs!)

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Yea..you got a problem alright....

goodman didnt make, nor do they make, a one ton AC unit.

yea....its out of refrigerant..yea..thats it..thats why the FAN
quit..damn...how ****ing simple is that?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
AL AL is offline

Problem with your fan motor. Some have start and run capacitors. Some only
have a run capacitor (ie. permanent split capacitor motor). I had the same
problem with my home a/c 2 years ago. I ordered my motor from
arnoldservice.com (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Shut up, you stupid clueless ****wit.

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 03:54:29 GMT,
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:37:34 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Problem with your fan motor. Some have start and run capacitors. Some only
have a run capacitor (ie. permanent split capacitor motor). I had the same
problem with my home a/c 2 years ago. I ordered my motor from
arnoldservice.com (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

Shut up, you stupid clueless ****wit.

He's a ****ing genius if you ask me, what with diagnosing it over the
internet and never laying eyes on it.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Needing to swear constantly without ever being smart enough to provide the
slightest bit of intelligence is a good sign of clueless.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Might be the capacitor.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:12:02 -0500, "Mike"
wrote:

Might be the capacitor.

Might be the muffler.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Might be a troll, with two sigs.
Ron
wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:12:02 -0500, "Mike"
wrote:

Might be the capacitor.

Might be the muffler.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Withdrawn. The real troll is one of the respondents.
Ron
wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:12:02 -0500, "Mike"
wrote:

Might be the capacitor.

Might be the muffler.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
x-no:archive:yes

I have 3 year old Goodman air conditioner. One ton. It is used for a
bonus room. Went upstairs for the first time in a few days. It was very
hot.

Which part was very hot? The outside part, or the indoor part?

Air was blowing through vents but not cold.

That's because it was very hot.

The condenser outside was kind of buzzing but the fan was not turning.
Eventually finally the
buzzing went off. With a screwdriver I was able to turn the fan blades
very easily. Could this be the fan motor?

Could what be the fan motor? You just said you were turning the fan blades
with a screwdriver. A screwdriver is not a fan motor. It's used for turning
screws, not fan blades. A fan motor is what turns fan blades.

I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself. I have
two kids and money is tight right now. I saw no obvious leaks. I have a
leak checker but it will be the morning before I can.

What kind of leak were you looking for? If you are trying to say that it's
not cooling, then likely, you won't see condensate leaking. If on the other
hand, you were trying to see a refrigerant leak, you won't see that either.
As far as having a multimeter, and a leak checker (and that could mean
anything from this http://www.aps.anl.gov/st_catalog/htmls/D118.html on up
to http://www.bacharach-inc.com/h25ir.htm ) what difference will that make
for you? If there's an electrical issue, someone will need to come fix it
for you. If you think you found a leak, you can't fix that either. If you
didn't need to go in the bonus room for several days, it can probably wait
until you can get someone to come figure out what's up.

But wouldnt it be
making no noise and shut off if it was out of refrigerent? My guess was
the fan is not working and it caused the unit to kick off as a safety
measure and that the "buzzing" i heard was the bad fan motor but I dont
know. I have not worked with home air conditioners too much just cars.
Any help is appreciated!

A home air conditioner is not the same as a car (or a car air conditioner,
for that matter). A car is not going to electrocute you. In a car, you are
dealing with 12 volts, and maybe 30,000 volts pulsed. Get your fingers in
the wrong place, and it WILL knock you on your ass - the injuries come after
the shock, not from it. Home AC, 240 volts, all in the open. It won't knock
you back. It will grab you, and hold you. As for your theory of shutting off
with no refrigerant, remember, you said Goodman. Cars are required to have
high and low pressure cutoffs because of safety issues. Goodman probably
isn't gonna have that. The consequences of burning up a home AC compressor
are not the same as putting chunks of car AC compressor through the hood at
highway speeds.

Safety lesson over.

Aside from anything else, you have not even begun to provide any information
(and don't bother, just call someone to see if anything is wrong) that would
allow someone to take a guess as to what the problem might be. Well not
quite enough (start and run in one.... never mind) We don't know if this
thing is split or package.

One other thing...... try replacing the thermostat.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a multimeter and know
how to use it. Is there a way to diagnose this problem myself.

Yes, but you need a multimeter and you must also know how to use it.

--

SVL

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Goodman doesn't make a 1 ton split..... but you can make me a liar by
posting the model and serial numbers
The buzzing went off when something else tripped or burnt up so by not
turning it off immediately, you have compounded your problem(s). Hopefully
you didn't fry the fan motor or the compressor with your screwing around. If
the motor and compressor are ok, it will be a simple, inexpensive repair.
Your problem has *NOTHING* to do with the refrigerant system, and has
everything to do with Goodman being the cheapest made POS around.
There is no comparison between a car a/c and a home comfort system. I have a
couple of customers that still haven't learned that what might work on a car
a/c will destroy a home comfort system.
*Most* competent HVAC techs will immediately know exactly what your problem
is and have the parts on the truck.

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:42:25 -0500, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

So why did she leave you? She couldnt stand your bad attitude or the
drinking and beatings?

And yet you went and started another family you couldnt afford.

Way to go Ace.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.

Are you Morman too?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.

Are you Morman too?

Nope... I just made the mistake of getting married.........twice

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:31:33 -0500, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.

Are you Morman too?

Nope... I just made the mistake of getting married.........twice

Based on your posts..Id have to say two women ****ed up, but one
corrected her mistake.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

FWIW, poor mouthing won't work... nobody cut me any slack when I had 2
households (one with child support), and a business to support.

Are you Morman too?

Nope... I just made the mistake of getting married.........twice

Yeah, me too.

At least no kids (except the cats-- and I got full custody).

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Probably a bad fan capacitor. Goodman is noted for bad caps. Just
replace it, and be happy. Replace both of htem to be sure. Compressor
caps go bad, also.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Probably a bad fan capacitor. Goodman is noted for bad caps. Just
replace it, and be happy. Replace both of htem to be sure. Compressor
caps go bad, also.

Replace *BOTH* of them??? ROFLMAO