Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Lloyd E. Sponenburgh is offline

Default Problems with air conditioner

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Probably a bad fan capacitor. Goodman is noted for bad caps. Just
replace it, and be happy. Replace both of htem to be sure. Compressor
caps go bad, also.

Replace *BOTH* of them??? ROFLMAO

Hey. He's not in a profit situation; he wants a reliable unit. If one cap
has failed, the other is probably drying out, and might need replacement
soon. They are inexpensive, compared to the effort and time of pulling the
unit apart. Why NOT change both while you have it apart?

The only thing I'm confused over concerning this post was the size of the
unit vs its configuration. It's only a one ton unit, but it's a split (not
window unit). I'm not familiar with your locale, so this may be
geographical bias. But the smallest unit we can buy around here (Florida)
in split configuration is a two-ton.

Condenser fans are prone to failure for a number of reasons -- often motor
installers (even the original manufacturers) will forget to take out the
weep plugs, and they corrode from accumulated rain water. But usually if
anything else but the cap goes bad, the shaft will get sticky or seize. The
outside fan relay might also be bad -- or one of the crimps on wiring from
the control board to the motor, or from the motor to the cap(s).

LLoyd