Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Default Bibb washer source?

OK, this shouldn't be this hard...

Need stem/bonnet beveled washer for several hose bibbs--can't find
proper size locally even at the plumbing distributor nor after looking
through all the assortments at all the hardware stores--and, no, I'm
not even close to a borg...

Anybody have source to find beveled washers of following two sizes--

5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/16" T
5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/8" T

Could probably make do w/ 1/4" ID and 3/4" OD.

Need half-dozen or so of each...

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

not here either:
100 PIECE BEVELED BIBB WASHER ASSORTMENT
100-Piece Beveled Bibb Washer Assortment
THDS Part #: 509710
$6.72
www.hdsupply.com
http://hdsupply.com/webapp/wcs/store...d=&categoryId=

dpb wrote:
OK, this shouldn't be this hard...

Need stem/bonnet beveled washer for several hose bibbs--can't find
proper size locally even at the plumbing distributor nor after looking
through all the assortments at all the hardware stores--and, no, I'm
not even close to a borg...

Anybody have source to find beveled washers of following two sizes--

5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/16" T
5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/8" T

Could probably make do w/ 1/4" ID and 3/4" OD.

Need half-dozen or so of each...

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Need stem/bonnet beveled washer for several hose bibbs

I have never run into a washer I couldn't find at the local Coast to Coast,
Ace Hardware, or other mom and pop hardware. They usually have a far better
selection than Home Depot or Lowes.

If you don't have any luck locally, you could do some searching online, IF
you're willing to wait for them to be delivered.

By the time you pay shipping and wait 2-3 weeks, it might be faster and
easier to just replace the hose bibs with new ones?

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Yep, that's about all I've found as well. The 3/4" OD all have had
3/8" ID or larger as well...

Doesn't seem to be anywhere I can find online that actually provides
full dimensional data. Can't believe there aren't several sources, but
sure not easy to find.

dpb wrote:
OK, this shouldn't be this hard...

Need stem/bonnet beveled washer for several hose bibbs--can't find
proper size locally even at the plumbing distributor nor after looking
through all the assortments at all the hardware stores--and, no, I'm
not even close to a borg...

Anybody have source to find beveled washers of following two sizes--

5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/16" T
5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/8" T

Could probably make do w/ 1/4" ID and 3/4" OD.

Need half-dozen or so of each...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

HerHusband wrote:
Need stem/bonnet beveled washer for several hose bibbs

I have never run into a washer I couldn't find at the local Coast to Coast,
Ace Hardware, or other mom and pop hardware. They usually have a far better
selection than Home Depot or Lowes.

Well, there's only one Ace in town and their selection didn't have what
was needed...and the Ace online site wasn't much (as in any) help.

There's only one of the "independent" stores left in town and they're
now buying stock from the same suppliers as everybody else so except
for the stuff that's been in the store for 40 years or more, they're
really no different an longer. Unfortunately, in a small-market town,
the Superstore reduces everything to lowest common denominator pretty
effectively. Until then, I have no doubt Miller or Chaffin Hardware
would have had them or been able to get them. I was surprised B&J
Plumbing couldn't find them out of all their boxes of stuff, though. I
suppose that means these particular hose bibbs are so old the design
has been modified enough to no longer have many left.

If your Ace has them, I'll reimburse you cost plus shipping and a
finders' fee for 10 each size...

If you don't have any luck locally, you could do some searching online, IF
you're willing to wait for them to be delivered.

I've been looking online as well--no luck, at least so far. As noted
in another response, finding anybody that provides full dimensional
data has been difficult, at best...

By the time you pay shipping and wait 2-3 weeks, it might be faster and
easier to just replace the hose bibs with new ones?

If I only had one or two it wouldn't be such an issue--there are at
least a half-dozen of each variety overall which adds up. Not to
mention it is completely against my bent to throw away a perfectly good
piece of goods over a 10-cent (figuratively) repair. Time isn't much
of an issue--they've leaked in use for years and it doesn't really hurt
too much except it's annoying. The particular reason just now is I
took some old ones and used them to add some new lines in the garden
patch. When they leak, it tends to make a muddy spot which is a
(relatively minor) problem.

I bought some new packing, I'll see if I can manage to stem the flow
that way (so to speak )...

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Have you tried the McMaster-Carr web site?

www.mcmastercarr.com

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, this shouldn't be this hard...

Need stem/bonnet beveled washer for several hose bibbs--can't find
proper size locally even at the plumbing distributor nor after looking
through all the assortments at all the hardware stores--and, no, I'm
not even close to a borg...

Anybody have source to find beveled washers of following two sizes--

5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/16" T
5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/8" T

Could probably make do w/ 1/4" ID and 3/4" OD.

Need half-dozen or so of each...

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Need stem/bonnet beveled washer for several hose bibbs
Anybody have source to find beveled washers of following two sizes--
5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/16" T
5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/8" T
Could probably make do w/ 1/4" ID and 3/4" OD.

You could try these sites online:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...t-washers.aspx

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/beveledbibbwasher

http://www.plumbingandsupply.com/ind...Path=404_40402

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

HerHusband wrote:
Need stem/bonnet beveled washer for several hose bibbs
Anybody have source to find beveled washers of following two sizes--
5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/16" T
5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/8" T
Could probably make do w/ 1/4" ID and 3/4" OD.

You could try these sites online:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...t-washers.aspx

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/beveledbibbwasher

http://www.plumbingandsupply.com/ind...Path=404_40402

Anthony

There's a couple of these I hadn't located--thanks. The doityourself
location was one H had found earlier. Their selection _seems_ as near
as I can tell to include only faucet washers w/ small diameter ID's for
holding screw as opposed to the stem packing washer.

I'll look at the others more closely and see if I can find anything.
I'm tempted to just order a couple of styles and see if I can manage to
enlarge the ID to fit but it is really difficult in general to make a
clean enough cut in rubber that one would be able to get a good seal...

Anyway, thanks again for the effort...

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

include only faucet washers w/ small diameter ID's for
holding screw as opposed to the stem packing washer.

If you're talking about the washer that fits around the stem of the faucet,
I have seen a "string" type of stem packing at the plumbing and hardware
stores. From what I can tell, you wind it around the stem, insert the stem,
and tighten down the cap nut. I've never used it so I have no idea how well
it works, but it might be an option...

See the "Washers" section on the Ace Hardware page for more info (all one
line, watch the wrapping):

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-learn-...cessories--bg-
1267592.html

There's an example on this page:

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/faucetstempacking

Also, keep in mind the new washer probably won't look anything like the old
one. The old one has been compressed and distorted with time. If you can
find something close to the right size, it should compress and expand to
seal when you tighten the cap nut.

I think you said this was for a garden hose bibb, but if it's a faucet that
uses a "cartridge", you could just replace the entire cartridge. More
expensive, but a lot less work.

I'd still look into replacing the hose bibbs if you can't find the repair
parts. They're fairly inexpensive and not that much work to replace (unless
your piping is really old and rusted).

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

HerHusband wrote:
include only faucet washers w/ small diameter ID's for
holding screw as opposed to the stem packing washer.

If you're talking about the washer that fits around the stem of the faucet,
I have seen a "string" type of stem packing at the plumbing and hardware
stores. From what I can tell, you wind it around the stem, insert the stem,
and tighten down the cap nut. I've never used it so I have no idea how well
it works, but it might be an option...

Yes, packing is an "option"...I noted in the original post I had
purchased a new coil. I have used it and it works reasonably well (but
far better in places which were designed for it than as a replacement
for a washer where the opening wasn't designed for packing).

Also, keep in mind the new washer probably won't look anything like the old
one. The old one has been compressed and distorted with time. If you can
find something close to the right size, it should compress and expand to
seal when you tighten the cap nut.

That is also something I noted originally that there's some slop in the
dimensions. However, a 5/16" stem won't go through a 3/16" screw
opening and a 5/8" OD won't fill a 3/4" stem nut...

I think you said this was for a garden hose bibb, but if it's a faucet that
uses a "cartridge", you could just replace the entire cartridge. ...

Yes, if it were something that it isn't, something different might be a
solution...

I'd still look into replacing the hose bibbs if you can't find the repair
parts. They're fairly inexpensive ...

Again, if there were only one or two, that would be less of an
expense...we went over this at least once before as well...without a
precise count there are something on the order of a dozen of these. At
$5/ea, that adds up as compared to something otoo probably $0.50/ea.

Plus, unless one wants to spend significantly more, it appears all
replacements are now Chinese stuff that I suspect would be far more
likely to freeze-split during cold KS winters. Many of the existing
ones have survived for probably going on 50 years--I don't have that
much faith in new stuff.

Plus, the bottom line is--there seems no reason to replace the whole
bibb for a leaky stem seal and I can't believe that a 3/4" OD, 5/16" ID
bevel washer is completely unobtainable.

At present I have a couple of folks looking -- if that fails I'll talk
to a professional plumber friend here and see what his source of supply
would be...he's as old or older than I am and about as cheap!

If all else fails, I can go the packing route--it just takes some time
futzing w/ them whereas otherwise one simply drops a washer in and goes
on one's way....

Thanks anyway for the input...