Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Default Bibb washer source?

HerHusband wrote:
Need stem/bonnet beveled washer for several hose bibbs

I have never run into a washer I couldn't find at the local Coast to Coast,
Ace Hardware, or other mom and pop hardware. They usually have a far better
selection than Home Depot or Lowes.

Well, there's only one Ace in town and their selection didn't have what
was needed...and the Ace online site wasn't much (as in any) help.

There's only one of the "independent" stores left in town and they're
now buying stock from the same suppliers as everybody else so except
for the stuff that's been in the store for 40 years or more, they're
really no different an longer. Unfortunately, in a small-market town,
the Superstore reduces everything to lowest common denominator pretty
effectively. Until then, I have no doubt Miller or Chaffin Hardware
would have had them or been able to get them. I was surprised B&J
Plumbing couldn't find them out of all their boxes of stuff, though. I
suppose that means these particular hose bibbs are so old the design
has been modified enough to no longer have many left.

If your Ace has them, I'll reimburse you cost plus shipping and a
finders' fee for 10 each size...

If you don't have any luck locally, you could do some searching online, IF
you're willing to wait for them to be delivered.

I've been looking online as well--no luck, at least so far. As noted
in another response, finding anybody that provides full dimensional
data has been difficult, at best...

By the time you pay shipping and wait 2-3 weeks, it might be faster and
easier to just replace the hose bibs with new ones?

If I only had one or two it wouldn't be such an issue--there are at
least a half-dozen of each variety overall which adds up. Not to
mention it is completely against my bent to throw away a perfectly good
piece of goods over a 10-cent (figuratively) repair. Time isn't much
of an issue--they've leaked in use for years and it doesn't really hurt
too much except it's annoying. The particular reason just now is I
took some old ones and used them to add some new lines in the garden
patch. When they leak, it tends to make a muddy spot which is a
(relatively minor) problem.

I bought some new packing, I'll see if I can manage to stem the flow
that way (so to speak )...

Anthony