Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Default Bibb washer source?

HerHusband wrote:
include only faucet washers w/ small diameter ID's for
holding screw as opposed to the stem packing washer.

If you're talking about the washer that fits around the stem of the faucet,
I have seen a "string" type of stem packing at the plumbing and hardware
stores. From what I can tell, you wind it around the stem, insert the stem,
and tighten down the cap nut. I've never used it so I have no idea how well
it works, but it might be an option...

Yes, packing is an "option"...I noted in the original post I had
purchased a new coil. I have used it and it works reasonably well (but
far better in places which were designed for it than as a replacement
for a washer where the opening wasn't designed for packing).

Also, keep in mind the new washer probably won't look anything like the old
one. The old one has been compressed and distorted with time. If you can
find something close to the right size, it should compress and expand to
seal when you tighten the cap nut.

That is also something I noted originally that there's some slop in the
dimensions. However, a 5/16" stem won't go through a 3/16" screw
opening and a 5/8" OD won't fill a 3/4" stem nut...

I think you said this was for a garden hose bibb, but if it's a faucet that
uses a "cartridge", you could just replace the entire cartridge. ...

Yes, if it were something that it isn't, something different might be a
solution...

I'd still look into replacing the hose bibbs if you can't find the repair
parts. They're fairly inexpensive ...

Again, if there were only one or two, that would be less of an
expense...we went over this at least once before as well...without a
precise count there are something on the order of a dozen of these. At
$5/ea, that adds up as compared to something otoo probably $0.50/ea.

Plus, unless one wants to spend significantly more, it appears all
replacements are now Chinese stuff that I suspect would be far more
likely to freeze-split during cold KS winters. Many of the existing
ones have survived for probably going on 50 years--I don't have that
much faith in new stuff.

Plus, the bottom line is--there seems no reason to replace the whole
bibb for a leaky stem seal and I can't believe that a 3/4" OD, 5/16" ID
bevel washer is completely unobtainable.

At present I have a couple of folks looking -- if that fails I'll talk
to a professional plumber friend here and see what his source of supply
would be...he's as old or older than I am and about as cheap!

If all else fails, I can go the packing route--it just takes some time
futzing w/ them whereas otherwise one simply drops a washer in and goes
on one's way....

Thanks anyway for the input...