Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Default Bibb washer source?

include only faucet washers w/ small diameter ID's for
holding screw as opposed to the stem packing washer.

If you're talking about the washer that fits around the stem of the faucet,
I have seen a "string" type of stem packing at the plumbing and hardware
stores. From what I can tell, you wind it around the stem, insert the stem,
and tighten down the cap nut. I've never used it so I have no idea how well
it works, but it might be an option...

See the "Washers" section on the Ace Hardware page for more info (all one
line, watch the wrapping):

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-learn-...cessories--bg-
1267592.html

There's an example on this page:

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/faucetstempacking

Also, keep in mind the new washer probably won't look anything like the old
one. The old one has been compressed and distorted with time. If you can
find something close to the right size, it should compress and expand to
seal when you tighten the cap nut.

I think you said this was for a garden hose bibb, but if it's a faucet that
uses a "cartridge", you could just replace the entire cartridge. More
expensive, but a lot less work.

I'd still look into replacing the hose bibbs if you can't find the repair
parts. They're fairly inexpensive and not that much work to replace (unless
your piping is really old and rusted).

Anthony