Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing OLD HARD walll paper

Ok, i'm now onto the wallpaper removal of a different room. It is all
old and cracking and when I'm taking it off by just picking at it, the
paper comes off in small flakes. I was thinking of spraying and
scraping, but I was also thinking that it might be possible to just
take an orbital hand sander and just go over it with a medium grit
paper. Has anyone done this? - removing wall paper is one of my LEAST
favorite things to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ok, i'm now onto the wallpaper removal of a different room. It is all
old and cracking and when I'm taking it off by just picking at it, the
paper comes off in small flakes. I was thinking of spraying and
scraping, but I was also thinking that it might be possible to just
take an orbital hand sander and just go over it with a medium grit
paper. Has anyone done this? - removing wall paper is one of my LEAST

A steamer is the usual gadget. Steam
dissolves the older types of wallpaper adhesive.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, i'm now onto the wallpaper removal of a different room. It is all
old and cracking and when I'm taking it off by just picking at it, the
paper comes off in small flakes. I was thinking of spraying and
scraping, but I was also thinking that it might be possible to just
take an orbital hand sander and just go over it with a medium grit
paper. Has anyone done this? - removing wall paper is one of my LEAST
favorite things to do.

Start drinking. The wet method's the best, which speaks volumes about the
other methods. Sanding will make you very unhappy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you seen the little device that has small pivoting cutting wheels,
you roll it around the wall and it slits the heck out of the paper.
Then you spray on the dissolving solution.

Sanding sounds way messy, and may put a lot of lead-paint dust in the
air.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, i'm now onto the wallpaper removal of a different room. It is all
old and cracking and when I'm taking it off by just picking at it, the
paper comes off in small flakes. I was thinking of spraying and
scraping, but I was also thinking that it might be possible to just
take an orbital hand sander and just go over it with a medium grit
paper. Has anyone done this? - removing wall paper is one of my LEAST
favorite things to do.

Start drinking. The wet method's the best, which speaks volumes about the
other methods. Sanding will make you very unhappy.

I use a spray bottle get an area wet then wait for saturation. Work awhile
spray a little more and add a small area repeat. If you do not care about
the floors a big spounge works just more water to clean up. Just do not let
the area your working on dry out. Even worked on the fing foil paper in the
bathroom I removed.
No one ever said this was fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

I use the same method. Just keep putting the solution on to keep the
paper wet and don't try doing it without the tiger. Patience is the
key to getting it off easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks All.. i think that's what i'm going to have to do, suck it up
and spray it on! It's on plaster, so the next step will be to smooth
it out a little. Can I just use the same stuff I used on the drywall?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks All.. i think that's what i'm going to have to do, suck it up
and spray it on! It's on plaster, so the next step will be to smooth
it out a little. Can I just use the same stuff I used on the drywall?

Yes. And, if scraping leaves some minor marks, sand them gently with the
mesh-type sanding stuff - looks like window screen, sort of. Dust passes
through it and if it's like most plaster dust, it'll fall straight down to
the floor, pretty much. Doesn't seem to float all over the place, like
sawdust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ok, i'm now onto the wallpaper removal of a different room. It is all
old and cracking and when I'm taking it off by just picking at it, the
paper comes off in small flakes. I was thinking of spraying and
scraping, but I was also thinking that it might be possible to just
take an orbital hand sander and just go over it with a medium grit
paper. Has anyone done this? - removing wall paper is one of my LEAST

A steamer is the usual gadget. Steam
dissolves the older types of wallpaper adhesive.

That's what I've always found works for me too.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Norminn :
wrote:

Thanks All.. i think that's what i'm going to have to do, suck it up
and spray it on! It's on plaster, so the next step will be to smooth
it out a little. Can I just use the same stuff I used on the drywall?

If the paper is as brittle as it sounds, you might get most of it off
just peeling or GENTLE scraping. Spraying with water a couple of times,
allowing for water to soak in a bit, is usually sufficient to soften the
paste and make it loose enough to scrape.

While I've not done a lot of wall paper removal, my experience has
been that the best way ...depends...

My experiences so far:

1) It isn't stuck on well, and gentle peeling/scraping got it all off,
with a few minor touchups with a sander or a bit of water.

2) Won't peel well. Steamer takes it off quickly. (or close the
doors/windows, and vent the clothes dryer into the room ;-)

3) Steamer won't take it off, but outer layer of wall paper will peel
(relatively moisture proof outer layer) easily. Then, a steamer takes
off the rest (coarse paper/glue) quickly.

Black and Decker makes a pretty inexpensive wall paper steamer (under $50).
You can also rent them.

It's certainly saved a lot of time over how long it would take with a spray
bottle of water.

Given how fast the steamer does the job, I won't give ours up.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jedd Haas

In article .com,
" wrote:

Ok, i'm now onto the wallpaper removal of a different room. It is all
old and cracking and when I'm taking it off by just picking at it, the
paper comes off in small flakes. I was thinking of spraying and
scraping, but I was also thinking that it might be possible to just
take an orbital hand sander and just go over it with a medium grit
paper. Has anyone done this? - removing wall paper is one of my LEAST
favorite things to do.

I like the DIF wallpaper remover. Roll it on with a paint roller (use a
bucket and grate). Add more as needed until the paper comes off easily.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
Posted to alt.home.repair
ELL

Use a solution of fabric softener and water in a spray bottle.
Makes it come off really easy!

PSA Sand Paper Leon Woodworking 18 May 29th 05 03:48 PM
Transferring images to metal or wood [email protected] Woodworking 3 December 20th 04 11:47 PM
Lining Paper - no joins visible - stays put. Eric Cartman UK diy 7 June 22nd 04 12:37 AM
Idle thoughts re generators Neil Jones UK diy 143 April 14th 04 02:31 PM
Removing Caulk PC Woodworking 2 August 2nd 03 04:29 PM