Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default Removing OLD HARD walll paper

wrote:

Thanks All.. i think that's what i'm going to have to do, suck it up
and spray it on! It's on plaster, so the next step will be to smooth
it out a little. Can I just use the same stuff I used on the drywall?

If the paper is as brittle as it sounds, you might get most of it off
just peeling or GENTLE scraping. Spraying with water a couple of times,
allowing for water to soak in a bit, is usually sufficient to soften the
paste and make it loose enough to scrape. I've never used steamers or
chemicals. It the paper is coated, either vinyl or painted, a
back-and-forth lateral scoring with coarse sandpaper will cut it enough
to allow water to soak in. Have to be careful not to go deep enough to
score plaster or wallboard surface. When the paper is gone, spray again
to soften remaining paste. I usually let it rest at this point, in case
the wallboard coating has absorbed water. Dry overnight, then wash off
remaining paste (unless you like sanding )