Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

Default Removing OLD HARD walll paper

According to Norminn :
wrote:

Thanks All.. i think that's what i'm going to have to do, suck it up
and spray it on! It's on plaster, so the next step will be to smooth
it out a little. Can I just use the same stuff I used on the drywall?

If the paper is as brittle as it sounds, you might get most of it off
just peeling or GENTLE scraping. Spraying with water a couple of times,
allowing for water to soak in a bit, is usually sufficient to soften the
paste and make it loose enough to scrape.

While I've not done a lot of wall paper removal, my experience has
been that the best way ...depends...

My experiences so far:

1) It isn't stuck on well, and gentle peeling/scraping got it all off,
with a few minor touchups with a sander or a bit of water.

2) Won't peel well. Steamer takes it off quickly. (or close the
doors/windows, and vent the clothes dryer into the room ;-)

3) Steamer won't take it off, but outer layer of wall paper will peel
(relatively moisture proof outer layer) easily. Then, a steamer takes
off the rest (coarse paper/glue) quickly.

Black and Decker makes a pretty inexpensive wall paper steamer (under $50).
You can also rent them.

It's certainly saved a lot of time over how long it would take with a spray
bottle of water.

Given how fast the steamer does the job, I won't give ours up.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est