Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank B.

Default Squirrels in Attic

Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the heavy gauge wire
I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their teeth to get in
anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they won't eat it! I used a
solid piece of wood to close up the gables in the past......but guess what?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Squirrels can't chew through wire, so they must be getting in under it. Take
some sheet metal and screw it on top of the hole.

"Frank B." wrote in message
. ..
Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the heavy gauge

wire
I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their teeth to get in
anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they won't eat it! I used a
solid piece of wood to close up the gables in the past......but guess

what?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"Frank B." wrote in message
. ..
: Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the
heavy gauge wire
: I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their teeth
to get in
: anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they won't eat
it! I used a
: solid piece of wood to close up the gables in the past......but
guess what?
:
:
We keep a moat of moth balls around places like that; seems to
keep them away better. They're ingenious little dudes & dudettes
so the less time they spend around it, the less likely they'll
get in somehow. We refresh them early fall and early winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Figaro

"Frank B." wrote in message
. ..
| Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the heavy gauge
wire
| I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their teeth to get in
| anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they won't eat it! I used a
| solid piece of wood to close up the gables in the past......but guess
what?

For the longest time, we had much difficulty keeping squirrels out of the
attic.
They seem to be able to find a way or another to get in no matter how you
block all apparent entrances.

Finally, we used a Havahart trap. With this trap we easily caught all
squirrel intruders (six of them total, one at a time) and dispatched them
into the far woods. Using this trap is far easier than trying to keep
them out. Fortunately, we have not had new ones infest the
attic - but even if we did, it'll be easy to trap and lose them faraways.

For trap bait, we use those fried dough appetizers they serve at the
Chinese restaurants.

Don't try to poison them because they might die in some pocket in your
walls where you'll have a hell of time locating the awful decaying carcass
that'll stink up your home.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Frank B. wrote:
Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the heavy
gauge wire I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their
teeth to get in anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they
won't eat it! I used a solid piece of wood to close up the gables in
the past......but guess what?

Frankly the best bet is to trap them and remove them far away. Don't
be surprised that if you don't get them out real soon you are going to have
a batch of little tree rats soon. BTW make sure they are all out before you
try to block their only exit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Frank B." wrote in message
. ..
Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the heavy gauge
wire I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their teeth to
get in anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they won't eat it! I
used a solid piece of wood to close up the gables in the past......but
guess what?

Play some Aerosmith tunes at full blast:

In the attic lies
Voices scream
Nothing's seen
Real's a dream

Leaving the things that are real behind
Leaving the things that you love from mind
All of the things you learned from fears
Nothing is left for the years

Voices scream
Nothing's seen
Real's a dream

(chorus)
Squirrels!Squirrels!Squirrels in the attic!
Squirrels!Squirrels!Squirrels in the attic!
Squirrels!Squirrels!Squirrels in the attic!

In the attic lies
Voices scream
Nothing's seen
Real's a dream

Leaving the things that are real behind
Leaving the things that you love from mind
All of the things you learned from fears
Nothing is left for the years

Voices scream
Nothing's seen
Real's a dream

(repeat chorus) (yayayayayayayow!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uhhh, don't know about eating them but definitely trap them vs having
them die in your walls. Also, they (like mice) can get through the
tiniest of spaces, I would bet a 1" gap is big enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed B

Frank B. wrote:
Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the heavy
gauge wire I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their
teeth to get in anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they
won't eat it! I used a solid piece of wood to close up the gables in
the past......but guess what?

Frankly the best bet is to trap them and remove them far away. Don't
be surprised that if you don't get them out real soon you are going to

have
a batch of little tree rats soon. BTW make sure they are all out before

you
try to block their only exit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

In the past I have experienced the same frustrations. When I bought my
home it was vacant for awhile. They are destructive little SOBs. They
made quite a nice nest and a huge mess in the attic. There was at least
two litters in there, maybe more. The traps I used were the
have-a-heart type. I used the catch and release method. But, that got
old after the tenth trapping. I tried all sorts of deterrents like
screen, wire mesh, music, and my paint ball gun. The only thing that
really worked was red fox urine. In nature, foxes are their natural
predators. Application of the urine weekly at and around their entry
point was sufficient. It would also help to find their point of entry
on to your roof and eliminate their access. In my case, first it was a
tree limb. Once that was gone they then used the power wire for access.
These are very clever animals and extremely dexterous.

Hope this helps
Ed B
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I've seen large rats wiggle through 1" chicken wire. I've also known people
who go squirrel hunting and eat them.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Uhhh, don't know about eating them but definitely trap them vs having
them die in your walls. Also, they (like mice) can get through the
tiniest of spaces, I would bet a 1" gap is big enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

If you block them in with babies inside they will eat their way back
in. Blocking a gable vent can lead to mold in the attic. Moth balls in a
sock with string attatched-to retrive later on if needed, and a bucket
of Amonia might help, if a after a few days you dont smell amonia add
bleach, it makes a poison gas that will drive them out. I had squirrels,
bats, flying squirrels , in the attic for awhile.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Frank B. wrote:
Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the heavy gauge wire
I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their teeth to get in
anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they won't eat it! I used a
solid piece of wood to close up the gables in the past......but guess what?

I did not have squirrels enter my attic, but they have in many other
homes around me and have tried in mine. First it is important to seal
off any entrances you might have after you drive the squirrels out.
They tried to enter my gable vents by first chewing up the wooden slat
louvers over them to prevent rain from entering. When I saw that, I
entered the attic to check the wire covering the gable vents. Although
the wire was intact, I decided that while I was replacing the damaged
slats I would also replace the wire with 1/4 inch wire rather than the
wire that was on there. The old wire was more like screen door wire
except that the spaces were probably more like 1/8 inch.

Since I did not want to replace the slats again, I pondered what would
prevent the squirrels from munching on the wood I replaced. What I did
was to buy a box of straight pins used for sewing. They can be had for
about $1.30 for a 1000. Next I used a Dremel tool and a fine drill bit
that would allow the pins to slide in the hole they made, but not pass
the head of the pin. I drilled holes about one inch apart on the front
edge of the slats and pushed the straight pins into the holes so that
the head of the pin was inside the wood slats, and the points were
visible through the front edge of the slats.

After doing this to all the slats, I replaced the old wire with my new
wire. Some weeks passed before any squirrels attempted to chew their
way into the gables again, but when they did they rapidly decided the
wood did not suit their taste. After a few attempts on different slats
and different gables, they gave up.

Now how to drive out any existing squirrels: I have not used this
method because I did not have any in my attic yet, but it sounds like it
would work. Seal up all but one exit for the squirrels, and take a
large flat pan like a baking pan with edges. Place as many of these as
you can find in the attic and pour about 1/4 inch of ammonia into the
pan so that it can evaporate and fill the attic with fumes. The ammonia
will drive out the squirrels, and when it does, seal up the exit they used.

Squirrels are like any other animal in that they will go to where it is
easiest to get food or shelter. If it is too difficult to enter your
house, they will try someone else. You need to repair any potential
openings and make it unpleasant to make new ones. I hope this helped.

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Bob" wrote

I've seen large rats wiggle through 1" chicken wire. I've also known
people
who go squirrel hunting and eat them.

Taste like chicken!!!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Uhhh, don't know about eating them but definitely trap them vs having
them die in your walls. Also, they (like mice) can get through the
tiniest of spaces, I would bet a 1" gap is big enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 10:20:22 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Squirrels can't chew through wire, so they must be getting in under it. Take
some sheet metal and screw it on top of the hole.

On the contrary Bob, squirrels ate through the wiring that controls
the fuel injection on my truck, twice. Through the insulation and
then ate through 16 ga. wiring from the control module.

Frank (not the original poster) B.

"Frank B." wrote in message
Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the heavy gauge

wire
I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their teeth to get in
anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they won't eat it! I used a
solid piece of wood to close up the gables in the past......but guess

what?

Hang a couple of bags of moth balls from the gables. they will avoid
the area.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

I agree with the ammonia, got rid of racoons with it- the perfume will
have extra staying power if you make a sort of Molotov cocktail with
it- container with a rag wick in the opening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the squirrels are eating through the wire that you have over the
gables, then it must not be heavy enough.
I had squirrels coming in through a powered exhaust vent and easily
stopped them with some heavy gauge
wire mesh.

You should also realize that trapping them and relocating in winter
will likely kill them, depending on the
climate, as they won't have an alternate nest to protect them from the
cold. Locking them out may be better
in that regard, as sometimes there is a nearby old unused nest they can
fall back on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Besides Amonia and mothballs, I had a gable with a hole where aparantly
the funes would not reach, so they woul climb in the hole. I shoot
mothball inside the whole with a long piece of Pvc, like a blow gun. But
those dm critters are smart, the picked up ever mothball and dumped them
out the hole. So I took a paper towel wet it and covered it with
habanero hot sauce and Cayene pepper, they never tried to get back in
that hole, I guess they dont like Hot stuff

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Most animals don't like smells. I spray a combination of castor oil and
liquid soap down groundhog holes and they move out within a few days.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Besides Amonia and mothballs, I had a gable with a hole where aparantly
the funes would not reach, so they woul climb in the hole. I shoot
mothball inside the whole with a long piece of Pvc, like a blow gun. But
those dm critters are smart, the picked up ever mothball and dumped them
out the hole. So I took a paper towel wet it and covered it with
habanero hot sauce and Cayene pepper, they never tried to get back in
that hole, I guess they dont like Hot stuff

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have a big tree you could put up a squirrel house. help them
relocate this site explains a lot about the furry creatures

http://www.tricklecreekbooks.com/squ...edhomestoo.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

They're going to have babies, so you'll need several big trees, and sooner
or later you'll run out of trees.

wrote in message
ps.com...
If you have a big tree you could put up a squirrel house. help them
relocate this site explains a lot about the furry creatures

http://www.tricklecreekbooks.com/squ...edhomestoo.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I tried mixing a mix of bleach, soap and amonia in a garden sprayer and
shooting it into the hole the squirrels threw out my mothballs out of,
they just took a months vacation and came back, The pepper around the
hole and 2 gallons amonia inside the attic in a bucket did the trick. I
think I will build them a house of their own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have heard on the radio a book advertisement for a book about getting
rid of pests.

OIL OF PEPERMINT on cotton balls is a deterrant for rodents.
They are supposedly allergic to pepermint.
I have not tried this yet, but I am sure that the aroma of pepermint
leaking into my living space, kicks the crap out of decaying carcasses
of the consumers of rat poison I have left around to get them out.
Cheers

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article .com,
says...
OIL OF PEPERMINT on cotton balls is a deterrant for rodents.
They are supposedly allergic to pepermint.
I have not tried this yet, but I am sure that the aroma of pepermint
leaking into my living space, kicks the crap out of decaying carcasses
of the consumers of rat poison I have left around to get them out.
Cheers

It seems to be as effective as all other repellents out there. There
will be a small percentage that swears by it, the same amount of people
that sees no effect. The times I have seen or used various peppermint
repellents I'll see a few days of quiet then they return. Actually a
container such as an old butter dish with ammonia and a piece of cloth
used as a wick seems to last longer than most. Maybe using PM oil the
same way may last longer.

For rodents, the best I've found are the old fashioned mouse and rat snap
traps. There are 2 tricks to using them, first is finding the bait your
varmits
like eating, and second is setting them so that they are hair-trigger. It
is
annoying to come in the morning and find the bait taken and the trap didn't
snap. Fortunately, mice are dumb and will keep coming back. Rats are
a bit smarter, but if you find bait that they really like, they will go for
it
even though they know the trap can kill them. I think they are inherent
gamblers
and will figure they can get the bait away before the trap comes crashing
down.

For squirrls, they are a bit smarter, the live traps seem to work the best,
and they will go for peanut butter.
Just make sure when you release them that you release them 5-10 miles
away or they will come back.

Ted

Posted to alt.home.repair
rosebud

My favorite squirrel info/trapping site:
http://www.unexco.com/trapsquirrels.html

Message board with tons of advice:
http://unexco.com/squirrel/squirrel.mv