Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed B

Default Squirrels in Attic

Bob wrote:
The best bet is to trap them and give them to someone who eats them.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
Frank B. wrote:
Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the heavy
gauge wire I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their
teeth to get in anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they
won't eat it! I used a solid piece of wood to close up the gables in
the past......but guess what?

Frankly the best bet is to trap them and remove them far away. Don't
be surprised that if you don't get them out real soon you are going to

have
a batch of little tree rats soon. BTW make sure they are all out before

you
try to block their only exit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

In the past I have experienced the same frustrations. When I bought my
home it was vacant for awhile. They are destructive little SOBs. They
made quite a nice nest and a huge mess in the attic. There was at least
two litters in there, maybe more. The traps I used were the
have-a-heart type. I used the catch and release method. But, that got
old after the tenth trapping. I tried all sorts of deterrents like
screen, wire mesh, music, and my paint ball gun. The only thing that
really worked was red fox urine. In nature, foxes are their natural
predators. Application of the urine weekly at and around their entry
point was sufficient. It would also help to find their point of entry
on to your roof and eliminate their access. In my case, first it was a
tree limb. Once that was gone they then used the power wire for access.
These are very clever animals and extremely dexterous.

Hope this helps
Ed B