Posted to alt.home.repair
Ted Mittelstaedt

Default Squirrels in Attic

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article .com,
says...
OIL OF PEPERMINT on cotton balls is a deterrant for rodents.
They are supposedly allergic to pepermint.
I have not tried this yet, but I am sure that the aroma of pepermint
leaking into my living space, kicks the crap out of decaying carcasses
of the consumers of rat poison I have left around to get them out.
Cheers

It seems to be as effective as all other repellents out there. There
will be a small percentage that swears by it, the same amount of people
that sees no effect. The times I have seen or used various peppermint
repellents I'll see a few days of quiet then they return. Actually a
container such as an old butter dish with ammonia and a piece of cloth
used as a wick seems to last longer than most. Maybe using PM oil the
same way may last longer.

For rodents, the best I've found are the old fashioned mouse and rat snap
traps. There are 2 tricks to using them, first is finding the bait your
varmits
like eating, and second is setting them so that they are hair-trigger. It
is
annoying to come in the morning and find the bait taken and the trap didn't
snap. Fortunately, mice are dumb and will keep coming back. Rats are
a bit smarter, but if you find bait that they really like, they will go for
it
even though they know the trap can kill them. I think they are inherent
gamblers
and will figure they can get the bait away before the trap comes crashing
down.

For squirrls, they are a bit smarter, the live traps seem to work the best,
and they will go for peanut butter.
Just make sure when you release them that you release them 5-10 miles
away or they will come back.

Ted