Posted to alt.home.repair
Figaro

Default Squirrels in Attic

"Frank B." wrote in message
. ..
| Is there any way to keep squirrels from getting through the heavy gauge
wire
| I have installed at the gable vents? They just use their teeth to get in
| anyway. I even put rat bait in the attic but they won't eat it! I used a
| solid piece of wood to close up the gables in the past......but guess
what?

For the longest time, we had much difficulty keeping squirrels out of the
attic.
They seem to be able to find a way or another to get in no matter how you
block all apparent entrances.

Finally, we used a Havahart trap. With this trap we easily caught all
squirrel intruders (six of them total, one at a time) and dispatched them
into the far woods. Using this trap is far easier than trying to keep
them out. Fortunately, we have not had new ones infest the
attic - but even if we did, it'll be easy to trap and lose them faraways.

For trap bait, we use those fried dough appetizers they serve at the
Chinese restaurants.

Don't try to poison them because they might die in some pocket in your
walls where you'll have a hell of time locating the awful decaying carcass
that'll stink up your home.