chester

Default subpanel

i posted this in the thread above, GFCI circuit protection

OK OK I have decided to run a subpanel. BUT cripes, while the subpanels
are cheap, man, 8/3 AWG is PRICY. OK so using substantially cheaper 10/3
AWG gives me a 30A subpanel. I would think this would be sufficient:
2000W heater, plus antoher 1000W for outlets and such, gives me ~15A,
assuming full useage? 30A seems like it would be sufficient, and a LOT
cheaper. Comments?
thx
Toller

I just ran 8/3 the length of my house to install a transfer switch; it
wasn't THAT expensive. How long do you have to run it?

chester

Toller wrote:

I just ran 8/3 the length of my house to install a transfer switch; it
wasn't THAT expensive. How long do you have to run it?

'bout 70-80 feet. i mean, compared with even 10/3. $1.73/ft at Lowes for
UF cable (burial needed) = ~$140
Toller

"chester" wrote in message
Toller wrote:

I just ran 8/3 the length of my house to install a transfer switch; it
wasn't THAT expensive. How long do you have to run it?

'bout 70-80 feet. i mean, compared with even 10/3. $1.73/ft at Lowes for
UF cable (burial needed) = ~$140

It would be ashame to do all that work and find out a few years later that
you needed the extra capacity.
I relapse from time to time, but it is almost always best to do things the
right way the first time.

Doug Miller

In article , "Toller" wrote:

"chester" wrote in message
Toller wrote:

I just ran 8/3 the length of my house to install a transfer switch; it
wasn't THAT expensive. How long do you have to run it?

'bout 70-80 feet. i mean, compared with even 10/3. $1.73/ft at Lowes for
UF cable (burial needed) = ~$140

It would be ashame to do all that work and find out a few years later that
you needed the extra capacity.
I relapse from time to time, but it is almost always best to do things the
right way the first time.

Except when fixing broken water lines...

--
Regards,

Edwin Pawlowski

"chester" wrote in message
i posted this in the thread above, GFCI circuit protection

OK OK I have decided to run a subpanel. BUT cripes, while the subpanels
are cheap, man, 8/3 AWG is PRICY. OK so using substantially cheaper 10/3
AWG gives me a 30A subpanel. I would think this would be sufficient: 2000W
heater, plus antoher 1000W for outlets and such, gives me ~15A, assuming
full useage? 30A seems like it would be sufficient, and a LOT cheaper.
Comments?
thx

10/3 may be cutting it close depending on the load. How much will it cost
to do it over when you find that you want more power? Sure pays to do it
right the first time and have it be the only time.

zxcvbob

chester wrote:

i posted this in the thread above, GFCI circuit protection

OK OK I have decided to run a subpanel. BUT cripes, while the subpanels
are cheap, man, 8/3 AWG is PRICY. OK so using substantially cheaper 10/3
AWG gives me a 30A subpanel. I would think this would be sufficient:
2000W heater, plus antoher 1000W for outlets and such, gives me ~15A,
assuming full useage? 30A seems like it would be sufficient, and a LOT
cheaper. Comments?
thx

You might wanna check out #6 aluminum SER cable.

Best regards,
Bob
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Why can't a guy just put a circuit out to his shed without everyone
saying he needs enough power to light up a small city or he will be
sorry..

He can. But if that is all he wanted to do, he'd have done it and not posted
to a newsgroup that offers advice and opinions. What he does in the end is
his business, but often a suggestion by others can save a lot of grief.
I've read some rather simple sounding questions on this group and found
replies that covered a lot of thing I never would have thought of in the
situation. There is much knowledge (and some BS too) posted here that can
make the DIYer a lot smarter.

Goedjn

Why can't a guy just put a circuit out to his shed without everyone
saying he needs enough power to light up a small city or he will be
sorry..

If all you're doing is running lights, you can use an
extension cord. Or batteries, for all anyone cares.
But once you get down to running an actual circut,
and adding heat (which implies "shop" as opposed to "shed")
it's time to get real.

Toller

He can. But if that is all he wanted to do, he'd have done it and not
posted
to a newsgroup that offers advice and opinions. What he does in the end
is his business, but often a suggestion by others can save a lot of grief.
I've read some rather simple sounding questions on this group and found
replies that covered a lot of thing I never would have thought of in the
situation. There is much knowledge (and some BS too) posted here that can
make the DIYer a lot smarter.

For instance... I have run 2 120v and 1 240v circuit to my workshop over a
period of 2 years; and would like a second 240v. I sure which I had just
put in a subpanel.

John Grabowski

"chester" wrote in message
Toller wrote:

I just ran 8/3 the length of my house to install a transfer switch; it
wasn't THAT expensive. How long do you have to run it?

'bout 70-80 feet. i mean, compared with even 10/3. $1.73/ft at Lowes for
UF cable (burial needed) = ~$140

You might want to try pricing the job using 1" (Or 3/4") schedule 40 PVC
conduit and individual conductors instead of cable. I suggest that you use
3-#8's and 1-#10 for ground for a thirty amp feed because of the distance.
You won't get much heat from an electric heater if it is experiencing
voltage drop. Keep in mind that circuit breakers are only rated for 80% of
their marked capacity for a continuous load (3 hours or more). I don't
recommend aluminum wire for underground use.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv