John Grabowski

"chester" wrote in message
Toller wrote:

I just ran 8/3 the length of my house to install a transfer switch; it
wasn't THAT expensive. How long do you have to run it?

'bout 70-80 feet. i mean, compared with even 10/3. $1.73/ft at Lowes for
UF cable (burial needed) = ~$140

You might want to try pricing the job using 1" (Or 3/4") schedule 40 PVC
conduit and individual conductors instead of cable. I suggest that you use
3-#8's and 1-#10 for ground for a thirty amp feed because of the distance.
You won't get much heat from an electric heater if it is experiencing
voltage drop. Keep in mind that circuit breakers are only rated for 80% of
their marked capacity for a continuous load (3 hours or more). I don't
recommend aluminum wire for underground use.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv