"You dont even realize that they type of land that they build on not
to mention the type of home contributes to the cost of the home.
GO CALL A CONRACTOR AND GET LAUGHED AT, just like I am
doing right now at you. "

Heh, you horse's ass, I realize perfectly well, as does everyone else
with a pulse, that the cost of land is a factor in what a house sells
for. But if you can read and comprehend, the question I asked has
nothing to do with the cost of the land. The question was about
CONSTRUCTION cost for a new home on a lot one buys, not the cost of
land. Now you want to go on and defend this nonsense advanced by other
chowder heads about construction costs varying 7 to 8X for the same
house built in different locations in NJ? I don't think so.

Punch

wrote in message
oups.com...
"I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your
question. Be
more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar
with
housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer."

OK, I was nice and gave you the benefit of the doubt by implying that
you must have just gotten up. Since you're wide away (sic) then you
must be a total moron to claim that construction costs in NJ can vary
from $120 to $900 per square foot depending on location. Now just get
lost so someone who knows something may reply.

think about this trader, 2x4 construction? 2x 6?

what type of trim, bungalow, 2 story, backsplit, is the lot level, drainage
problems??

hardwood floors/ carpet/tile/granite??

fireplaces??/ etc...

steel roof, brick, siding???

how the hell do we know what your friend want and what it will cost, like
you said average to 1 person could be oak flooring, while average to another
is homedepot carpet...

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Personally I would guesstimate between 200 - 400 per foot."

I wasn't looking for guesses. I was looking for someone that has
relevant experience. Like a builder, someone in construction, or
someone who recently built a house.

Hey, that would be me. This week I shipped two trailer loads of
construction material to New Jersey. They are for residential single home
construction. NJ is a big market for us. How can I help you?

George Eberhardt

wrote in message
oups.com...
"You dont even realize that they type of land that they build on not
to mention the type of home contributes to the cost of the home.
GO CALL A CONRACTOR AND GET LAUGHED AT, just like I am
doing right now at you. "

Heh, you horse's ass, I realize perfectly well, as does everyone else
with a pulse, that the cost of land is a factor in what a house sells
for. But if you can read and comprehend, the question I asked has
nothing to do with the cost of the land. The question was about
CONSTRUCTION cost for a new home on a lot one buys, not the cost of
land. Now you want to go on and defend this nonsense advanced by other
chowder heads about construction costs varying 7 to 8X for the same
house built in different locations in NJ? I don't think so.

I live in central Jersey, near the shore. Recently my insurance company
valued my house at $150 /sq foot as the cost of rebuilding it. I would rate
the quality of this house as a little better than average. The above price
does not include the cost of constructing a basement.

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

"I live in central Jersey, near the shore. Recently my insurance
company
valued my house at $150 /sq foot as the cost of rebuilding it. I would
rate
the quality of this house as a little better than average. The above
price
does not include the cost of constructing a basement. "

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

Thank you George, that is the type of of answer I was looking for.
Good to see some people understood the question. Have a great day!

Ross Mac

wrote in message
oups.com...
"I think Edwin's reply is fairly accurate. I asked a builder last year
how
much should I figure per square foot if I was to build my own house.
He
told me that I should roughly figure $200.00 per, but there are many
variables such as the quality of the kitchen and baths, multiple HVAC
zones,
choice of fixtures and appliances, etc. "

And if Edwin's reply was similar to what your builder told you, I
wouldn't be ridiculing him. But it wasn't, was it? He said $120 to
$900 because labor costs vary by location. Sure, I know there is going
to be some variation, but nearly 8X is just plain crazy. There is no
way in hell the same house built in two different areas of NJ on land
you already own is going to vary that much.

I can tell you from reading many of Ed's post's that he is NO fool. Your OP
had little to no details and thus your answer. Cost per square foot can go
up dramatically in high cost regions. Especially if all the contractors are
very busy. When you start adding expensive options that will bring the cost
up too. We built a home down here in Florida and the cost per square went up
about 50% after the wife was done adding all the goodies.....well...my 2
cents....

Ross Mac

wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe you will have better luck in news:alt.building.construction ?

Thanks Bill, I'll try there!

It's all about location....example:
I built a garage on my property when I lived in California. It cost about
$48 a square foot. Nothing special. Moved to Central Florida and built a
house for about $100 a square, on the golf course and loaded with extras. I
think the point was LOCATION ! Not what a sink or a window costs.
Good luck with your great attitude getting help anywhere!

An air-soil solar sub-basement heat battery [email protected] Home Repair 10 March 14th 05 11:50 PM
AFUE, HSPF and COP, how do they relate? [email protected] Home Ownership 37 February 23rd 05 04:03 PM
new house cost simon beer UK diy 22 February 3rd 05 05:06 PM
Why buy a house? victor Home Ownership 376 August 19th 04 11:08 PM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Ownership 4 March 4th 04 04:31 AM