DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cost per sq ft for new house in NJ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/117576-cost-per-sq-ft-new-house-nj.html)

[email protected] August 18th 05 09:49 PM

Cost per sq ft for new house in NJ?

I have a friend who is going through the options for obtaining a house
in NJ. One of the possibilities is buying a lot and then building a
house on it. Does anyone have an estimate of how much per square foot
an average house costs to build. I know it will depend on a lot of
things. Not looking for super premium outfitting, nor cheapest either,
just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how
much per sq ft?

Edwin Pawlowski August 19th 05 12:09 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a friend who is going through the options for obtaining a house
in NJ. One of the possibilities is buying a lot and then building a
house on it. Does anyone have an estimate of how much per square foot
an average house costs to build. I know it will depend on a lot of
things. Not looking for super premium outfitting, nor cheapest either,
just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how
much per sq ft?

Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a
square foot.

Big state, lots of variables in labor cost.

In NJ, look at www.reddiform.com

[email protected] August 19th 05 01:18 AM

"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a

square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost. "

Thanks for the useless reply, now go back to sleep, OK?

Edwin Pawlowski August 19th 05 01:30 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a

square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost. "

Thanks for the useless reply, now go back to sleep, OK?

I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your question. Be
more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar with
housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer. 'tis you the
one that must wake up. The difference quoted are realistic between Fortescue
and Fort Lee.

[email protected] August 19th 05 01:55 AM

"I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your
question. Be
more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar
with
housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer."

OK, I was nice and gave you the benefit of the doubt by implying that
you must have just gotten up. Since you're wide away (sic) then you
must be a total moron to claim that construction costs in NJ can vary
from $120 to $900 per square foot depending on location. Now just get
lost so someone who knows something may reply.

John Grabowski August 19th 05 02:21 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
"I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your
question. Be
more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar
with
housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer."

OK, I was nice and gave you the benefit of the doubt by implying that
you must have just gotten up. Since you're wide away (sic) then you
must be a total moron to claim that construction costs in NJ can vary
from $120 to $900 per square foot depending on location. Now just get
lost so someone who knows something may reply.

I think Edwin's reply is fairly accurate. I asked a builder last year how
much should I figure per square foot if I was to build my own house. He
told me that I should roughly figure $200.00 per, but there are many
variables such as the quality of the kitchen and baths, multiple HVAC zones,
choice of fixtures and appliances, etc. I suppose if you wanted to low bid
everything and have minimum standards you might do better.

It's not very nice to ridicule someone who is trying to help you. NJ is a
hot real estate market right now. Condos, townhomes, and single family
houses are selling at premium prices and builders are very busy. Even
handyman specials are getting bought up at inflated prices. I got a call
from an old friend of mine several weeks ago. She lives in Summit. Her
neighbors sold their 2200 square foot ranch (On less than an acre) for one
million dollars a few months ago just because of the location. You do the
math.

Liz August 19th 05 02:22 AM

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a

square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost. "

Thanks for the useless reply, now go back to sleep, OK?

I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your question.
Be more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar
with housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer. 'tis
you the one that must wake up. The difference quoted are realistic between
Fortescue and Fort Lee.

You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills?
Forgetaboutit!

Liz

Vic Dura August 19th 05 02:43 AM

On 18 Aug 2005 13:49:24 -0700, wrote Re Cost per
sq ft for new house in NJ?:

I have a friend who is going through the options for obtaining a house
in NJ. One of the possibilities is buying a lot and then building a
house on it. Does anyone have an estimate of how much per square foot
an average house costs to build. I know it will depend on a lot of
things. Not looking for super premium outfitting, nor cheapest either,
just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how
much per sq ft?

For a simple 4-sided nothing fancy house, about $150 - $180 per sq
ft. That's for the house only. Items such as landscaping, driveway,
the lot itself, grading, utilities, permits would be extra.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

[email protected] August 19th 05 02:44 AM

"I think Edwin's reply is fairly accurate. I asked a builder last year
how
much should I figure per square foot if I was to build my own house.
He
told me that I should roughly figure $200.00 per, but there are many
variables such as the quality of the kitchen and baths, multiple HVAC
zones,
choice of fixtures and appliances, etc. "

And if Edwin's reply was similar to what your builder told you, I
wouldn't be ridiculing him. But it wasn't, was it? He said $120 to
$900 because labor costs vary by location. Sure, I know there is going
to be some variation, but nearly 8X is just plain crazy. There is no
way in hell the same house built in two different areas of NJ on land
you already own is going to vary that much.

[email protected] August 19th 05 02:47 AM

"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills?
Forgetaboutit! "

Then maybe you can explain why the same house built in Short Hills is
going to cost 7 times what it would in Camden? Are materials 7X
expensive? Labor? I know there is going to be some variation, but
this $120 to $900 is just pure nonsense!

Liz August 19th 05 02:57 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills?
Forgetaboutit! "

Then maybe you can explain why the same house built in Short Hills is
going to cost 7 times what it would in Camden? Are materials 7X
expensive? Labor? I know there is going to be some variation, but
this $120 to $900 is just pure nonsense!

You're obviously not familiar with the socio-economics involved in the state
of NJ. It's too late at night for me to explain this to you. Perhaps you
can do a Google search on crime/unemployment/average income of Camden versus
Short Hills. I'm going to bed now. If you're still confused about this
tomorrow I'll try to explain it to you.

Liz

Edwin Pawlowski August 19th 05 03:09 AM

wrote in message

Then maybe you can explain why the same house built in Short Hills is
going to cost 7 times what it would in Camden? Are materials 7X
expensive? Labor? I know there is going to be some variation, but
this $120 to $900 is just pure nonsense!

Have you been to Short Hills? Your question is the part ridiculous. How
big is a box? How much does a truck/car/airplane/boat cost? You've still
not narrowed the area down or given an idea of what YOU think is a middle
line quality of fixture. When you talk about the square footage you speak
of, you are not going to find second rate fixtures, trim, etc. What if
fitting for the town you are in? A friend of mine is building a house that
size right now. It is about $400 a square foot. Meaningless number without
some background.

Ask the RIGHT question if you want an accurate answer.

Ralph Mowery August 19th 05 03:10 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills?
Forgetaboutit! "

Then maybe you can explain why the same house built in Short Hills is
going to cost 7 times what it would in Camden? Are materials 7X
expensive? Labor? I know there is going to be some variation, but
this $120 to $900 is just pure nonsense!

You just don't understand. If you build a house using the least expensive
materials the house will cost less. Take the kitchen counter top. Use the
plywood and laminate and it is only a few dollars a foot. Goto granite and
the cost will go way up. Cheep carpet or lanolium or expensive carpet ?
Bath room , tile , marbel, or other. Standard tub or custom built shower.
I just had a shower installed and it was about $ 3000 for the materials.
This is a small one about 3 feet each way. Mirrows on the wall was $ 100 at
Lowes. Wife wanted some that cost about $ 300 each at a custom shop going
on looks, then the shock hit her as she was going to put in two of them.
Real wood panneling or some of the printed stuff.

Ranieri August 19th 05 03:11 AM

"Liz" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills?
Forgetaboutit! "

Then maybe you can explain why the same house built in Short Hills is
going to cost 7 times what it would in Camden? Are materials 7X
expensive? Labor? I know there is going to be some variation, but
this $120 to $900 is just pure nonsense!

You're obviously not familiar with the socio-economics involved in the

state
of NJ. It's too late at night for me to explain this to you. Perhaps you
can do a Google search on crime/unemployment/average income of Camden

versus
Short Hills. I'm going to bed now. If you're still confused about this
tomorrow I'll try to explain it to you.

He's not talking about land - construction costs for the identical 3000 sf
home are not going to vary by a factor of 7. What, the lumberyards that
serve Short Hills are charging 15 bucks for a 2x4? People are paying 200 per
hour for a framer? Short Bus sounds more like it.

Granted, you can drop 100K or more on a kitchen alone - but the _identical_
upper/ mid home is not going to vary that much in construction costs.

[email protected] August 19th 05 03:12 AM

"You're obviously not familiar with the socio-economics involved in the
state
of NJ. It's too late at night for me to explain this to you. Perhaps
you
can do a Google search on crime/unemployment/average income of Camden
versus
Short Hills. I'm going to bed now. If you're still confused about
this
tomorrow I'll try to explain it to you. "

And socio-economics and crime rate of one location versus another in NJ
has exactly what to do with the cost of the labor and materials to
build the same house? Good idea to go to bed Liz so you stop
embarrassing yourself here. The question I asked was for the
CONSTRUCTION cost of builiding a house in NJ. Everyone knows that a
two bedroom crappy house in a slum sells for a hell of a lot less than
a 4 bedroom house on an acre. No need to explain that. What I'm
waiting for is the explaination of how the construction cost for the
same exact house built in two locations in NJ can vary by 7 to 8 times.
LOL

Edwin Pawlowski August 19th 05 03:12 AM

wrote in message
OK, I was nice and gave you the benefit of the doubt by implying that
you must have just gotten up. Since you're wide away (sic) then you
must be a total moron to claim that construction costs in NJ can vary
from $120 to $900 per square foot depending on location. Now just get
lost so someone who knows something may reply.

Oh my, you found a typo I made Congratulations, your prize is in the mail.
No, I'm not going to get lost.

[email protected] August 19th 05 03:18 AM

"You just don't understand. If you build a house using the least
expensive
materials the house will cost less. Take the kitchen counter top. Use
the
plywood and laminate and it is only a few dollars a foot. Goto granite
and
the cost will go way up. Cheep carpet or lanolium or expensive carpet
? "

I don't understand? I understand perfectly. I made it pretty clear
when I said:

"Not looking for super premium outfitting, nor cheapest either,
just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how
much per sq ft? "

Did I say I want the least expensive? The most expensive? Any
imbecile knows that construction costs can vary depending on what
quality materials one wants. I'm looking for an average, middle of
the road number for construction cost. Or a reasonable range, which
certainly isn't $120 to $900 based on labor cost variations from one
part of NJ to another.

[email protected] August 19th 05 03:21 AM

"He's not talking about land - construction costs for the identical
3000 sf
home are not going to vary by a factor of 7. What, the lumberyards that

serve Short Hills are charging 15 bucks for a 2x4? People are paying
200 per
hour for a framer? Short Bus sounds more like it.

Granted, you can drop 100K or more on a kitchen alone - but the
_identical_
upper/ mid home is not going to vary that much in construction costs. "

Thank you Ranieri! I was beginning to think I was the only sane one
here!

[email protected] August 19th 05 03:27 AM

"Have you been to Short Hills? Your question is the part ridiculous.
How big is a box? How much does a truck/car/airplane/boat cost? "

And how much vodka have you had to drink tonight Ed?

You've still not narrowed the area down or given an idea of what YOU
think is a middle
line quality of fixture. When you talk about the square footage you
speak
of, you are not going to find second rate fixtures, trim, etc. "

And what does that have to do with your assertion that the SAME exact
house will have 7 to 8X construction cost variation depending on where
it is located in NJ?

Edwin Pawlowski August 19th 05 03:45 AM

wrote in message
And how much vodka have you had to drink tonight Ed?

None. Prefer gin or bourbon.

And what does that have to do with your assertion that the SAME exact
house will have 7 to 8X construction cost variation depending on where
it is located in NJ?

Labor cost varies. Material cost varies. Ability to extract more from some
customers over others varies.

The $900 figure was an exaggeration, but not kowing other factors, it is not
possible to give a fair estimate. Ask a dumb question, you get a dumb
answer. When yo ask a smart question well . . . . you figure it out.

"What if fitting for the town you are in? A friend of mine is building
a house that
size right now. It is about $400 a square foot. Meaningless number
without
some background. "

And how much vodka have you had to drink tonight Ed?

Yo just don't get it, probably never will.

Edwin Pawlowski August 19th 05 03:47 AM

wrote in message

And socio-economics and crime rate of one location versus another in NJ
has exactly what to do with the cost of the labor and materials to
build the same house?

Oh my, you don't know much about building do you? There is a loss factor in
the pricing. Guess how that factor is determined?

OK class, our next lesson will be on pay scale and how it varies .

[email protected] August 19th 05 04:09 AM

"Oh my, you don't know much about building do you? There is a loss
factor in
the pricing. Guess how that factor is determined? "

Nice work Ed helping Liz dig herself out of her hole explaining the
cost implications of socio-economics in Camden vs Short Hills. Let me
get this straight. Since the crime rate is way higher in Camden, it
will cost more to build the same house there, than it does in Short
Hills right? Dooh! But that was the exact opposite of what you were
trying to prove!

"OK class, our next lesson will be on pay scale and how it varies ."

No one is denying that pay scale varies or that it's a factor in
construction costs. That's why it's very important to know the house
of interest is in NJ, as opposed to Iowa. Sure there are even labor
cost differences in NJ, but they aren't as wide as the labor cost
differences between NJ and Iowa. And surely labor cost differences
don't explain your assertion that there is a 7 to 8 times construction
cost difference for building the exact same house in two locations in
NJ. And BTW, labor cost differences don't explain construction cost
differences between Camden and Short Hills either. That's because the
unemployed, unskilled workers in Camden aren't the guys that are going
to be doing most of the construction work there anyway.

Edwin Pawlowski August 19th 05 04:36 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Oh my, you don't know much about building do you? There is a loss
factor in
the pricing. Guess how that factor is determined? "

Nice work Ed helping Liz dig herself out of her hole explaining the
cost implications of socio-economics in Camden vs Short Hills. Let me
get this straight. Since the crime rate is way higher in Camden, it
will cost more to build the same house there, than it does in Short
Hills right? Dooh! But that was the exact opposite of what you were
trying to prove!

That is just ONE factor. Labor rates and other factotrs do come into play.

"OK class, our next lesson will be on pay scale and how it varies ."

No one is denying that pay scale varies or that it's a factor in
construction costs. That's why it's very important to know the house
of interest is in NJ, as opposed to Iowa. Sure there are even labor
cost differences in NJ, but they aren't as wide as the labor cost
differences between NJ and Iowa.

That has not been my experience. I've found great differences withing the
state of NJ.

And BTW, labor cost differences don't explain construction cost
differences between Camden and Short Hills either. That's because the
unemployed, unskilled workers in Camden aren't the guys that are going
to be doing most of the construction work there anyway.

Right, they bus them in from Short Hills.

PanHandler August 19th 05 04:40 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...

"builiding" a house in NJ. Everyone knows that a
two bedroom crappy house in a slum sells for a hell of a lot less than
a 4 bedroom house on an acre. No need to explain that. What I'm
waiting for is the "explaination"

Go to bed and get some rest.

[email protected] August 19th 05 04:43 AM

"That has not been my experience. I've found great differences withing
the
state of NJ. "

Yeah, differences of 7-8X for the same construction within NJ. LOL
Why do you persist in embarrassing yourself? At least Liz had sense
enough to go to bed after making an ass of herself.

Edwin Pawlowski August 19th 05 11:13 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
"That has not been my experience. I've found great differences withing
the
state of NJ. "

Yeah, differences of 7-8X for the same construction within NJ. LOL
Why do you persist in embarrassing yourself? At least Liz had sense
enough to go to bed after making an ass of herself.

Because I still love you!

Bonnie Jean August 19th 05 12:16 PM

"Usmiech" wrote in message

You are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And he's rude too. I live in NJ and Ed is right.

dadiOH August 19th 05 12:22 PM

wrote:
"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills?
Forgetaboutit! "

Then maybe you can explain why the same house built in Short Hills is
going to cost 7 times what it would in Camden? Are materials 7X
expensive? Labor? I know there is going to be some variation, but
this $120 to $900 is just pure nonsense!

Material and labor costs establish a minimum but not max...builders
charge as much as they can get, there is no max to profit.

It also depends much on what you want. Do you want Pella windows or
mill finish aluminum? Insert fireplace or masonry? Square footprint
with a simple roof or one that requires a chopped up roof? Wall to wall
carpet or hardwood floor? Simple flat ceiling or all sorts of trays,
etc.? MDF cabinets or hardwood? Et cetera.

Seems to me that $120 - $900 is realistic for those reasons and because
*where* something is being built has a huge effect on price. For
example, my concrete block/stucco house has 5400' under roof, another
3000' open (courtyards, patios); Monier barrel tile roof; tile floors
everywhere except one room which has 3/4" maple; large kitchen with
custom made cabinets, all lowers with pull outs; custom made butternut
interior doors. It sits on 10 acres of lakefront property which also
has 35-40 large oaks and a pond. I was my own general, had subs do the
shell including drywall. Rest I did myself. Cost was a bit less than
$37 sq.ft. including land, $28 without it. Figure at least double that
if I had had a builder do it. That was in Florida and 10 years
ago...today building costs would be maybe 25 - 30% more.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

[email protected] August 19th 05 02:30 PM

"Material and labor costs establish a minimum but not max...builders
charge as much as they can get, there is no max to profit. "

Well duh! That's like saying a supermarket charges as much as they
can for an orange. We all know that, but supply and demand put a limit
on it and there is an average price for an orange in NJ isn't there?
Or how about what's a TYPICAL price for getting middle of the road
carpet installed in a square 300 ft room? Does that vary 7-8X too?
Realtors regularly calculate the median and average price for a home
and come up with a number, don't they?

"It also depends much on what you want. Do you want Pella windows or
mill finish aluminum? Insert fireplace or masonry? Square footprint
with a simple roof or one that requires a chopped up roof? Wall to
wall
carpet or hardwood floor? Simple flat ceiling or all sorts of trays,
etc.? MDF cabinets or hardwood? Et cetera. "

Which is why I stated in the original question:
"I know it will depend on a lot of things. Not looking for super
premium outfitting, nor cheapest either,
just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how
much per sq ft? "

What I'm looking for is a middle of the road, typical house. Sure, we
all know you can spend a lot more on upgrades. Let's say a house
outfitted so that most people would consider it average costs $400K to
build. Suppose I put an extra $100K into it in upgrades, which would
make it well above average in terms of what's in it, at least for most
people. That's an increase of 25%, not 7-8X like Ed asserted.

"Seems to me that $120 - $900 is realistic for those reasons and
because
*where* something is being built has a huge effect on price. For
example, my concrete block/stucco house has 5400' under roof, another
3000' open (courtyards, patios); Monier barrel tile roof; tile floors
everywhere except one room which has 3/4" maple; large kitchen with
custom made cabinets, all lowers with pull outs; custom made butternut
interior doors. It sits on 10 acres of lakefront property which also
has 35-40 large oaks and a pond."

And if I built the same thing 10 miles away on a smaller lot without
oak trees and a pond it could cost 7-8X more or less? Because? Where
talking CONSTRUCTION cost here, not lot prices.

So far, a few people apparently understood the question. And Vic
provided an answer along the lines I was looking for, with his estimate
of $150-180 per square foot.

[email protected] August 19th 05 03:01 PM

Nice Bonnie. Then maybe you'd care to explain to me how a 2X4 or a
sink can cost 7 to 8 times as much in one location in NJ than in
another? Ever see that? Do wages vary 7 to 8X for carpenters and
plumbers? Hmmm, now who's stupid?

dadiOH August 19th 05 03:40 PM

wrote:
Or how about what's a TYPICAL price for getting middle of the
road carpet installed in a square 300 ft room? Does that vary 7-8X
too?

Sure could. Carpet or anything else.
____________

Realtors regularly calculate the median and average price for a
home and come up with a number, don't they?

For a particular house, no. For houses in general, yeah...based on
previous sales which are based on what people were willing to pay.
_________________

"It also depends much on what you want. Do you want Pella windows or
mill finish aluminum? Insert fireplace or masonry? Square footprint
with a simple roof or one that requires a chopped up roof? Wall to
wall
carpet or hardwood floor? Simple flat ceiling or all sorts of trays,
etc.? MDF cabinets or hardwood? Et cetera. "

Which is why I stated in the original question:
"I know it will depend on a lot of things. Not looking for super
premium outfitting, nor cheapest either,
just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how
much per sq ft? "

The point is that what is premium for one person may well be cheapo for
another. And vice versa.
_________________

And if I built the same thing 10 miles away on a smaller lot without
oak trees and a pond it could cost 7-8X more or less? Because? Where
talking CONSTRUCTION cost here, not lot prices.

So was I. I've seen lots of places where a house built in an upscale
neighborhood was priced way more - several times - than a similar house
in a less desirable neighborhood. *After* factoring in the difference
in cost of the lot.

The point was that *where* makes a huge differenced in "average cost".
I built a house here in Florida for $27 sq.ft. Doubt I could in New
Jersey. By the same token, I'm reasonably sure there are areas in NJ
between which the "costs" vary widely too. Note the quotes around
"costs".
_______________

So far, a few people apparently understood the question. And Vic
provided an answer along the lines I was looking for, with his
estimate of $150-180 per square foot.

So plan on that and be surprised...either pleasantly or unpleasantly.

Your question was easily understood but the fact is that until you have
a set of plans and talk to some contractors it isn't easily answerable.
You could probably build a comparable place yourself for 2/3 - 1/2...if
you are willing to pull your own permits and hire your own subs.

If you want to get a truer idea of *actual* costs, look up the asking
prices of some new houses, then check the valuation on the building
permits for same.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

[email protected] August 19th 05 04:41 PM

Listen, many MANY contractors charge for what the market can bear. you
go into an expensive neighborhood and the charge you more.
Contractors do this all the time. Especially now a days when good
contractors (let alone ethical ones) are in demand.

Material wise depending on the distance from the vendor can cost you
a bit more here and there. But the statement that others were saying
that
a house in a crappy area is cheaper then a home is a good neighborhood
is
true. (this is exluding land costs)

The northeast isnt the same other parts in the nation.

Personally I would guesstimate between 200 - 400 per foot. This is
really dependent on what options (as others have stated) that you are
going to have. (have you even considered that styles of houses like
ranches vs. capes. vs ????? may cost more or less???)
Want a basement too????

Finding a contractor local to the area might really be the
best start. People on here can give opinions, but a rough estimate
from
one will really put things into perspective. If the land is already
purchased
then a good architect (hell thats about 2000.00) will draw up the home
and
get the permits you need for the local area. From there you can get
estimates.

If you have the time and desire, you can play general contractor and
sub it all
out. That'll save a ton of money.

Tom

[email protected] August 19th 05 04:42 PM

My, my, don't we become testy about what is an acceptable answer?

If you've such rigid bounds, why not say something like:
"If you tell me less than x or more than y except for specific
counties/architects/builders, I'll call you an idiot."?

You'd do well to listen more. Or let someone else be your friend's
hero.

TTFN,

[email protected] August 19th 05 05:45 PM

"Personally I would guesstimate between 200 - 400 per foot."

I wasn't looking for guesses. I was looking for someone that has
relevant experience. Like a builder, someone in construction, or
someone who recently built a house.

"If the land is already purchased then a good architect (hell thats
about 2000.00) will draw up the home
and get the permits you need for the local area."

Yeah and that shows that you really don't know what you're talking
about. $2K for a good architect? LOL, you couldn't even find a bad
one to plans for a house for that amount. If you don't know anything,
then why respond at all?

willshak August 19th 05 05:51 PM

On 8/19/2005 12:45 PM US(ET), took fingers to
keys, and typed the following:

"Personally I would guesstimate between 200 - 400 per foot."

I wasn't looking for guesses. I was looking for someone that has
relevant experience. Like a builder, someone in construction, or
someone who recently built a house.

"If the land is already purchased then a good architect (hell thats
about 2000.00) will draw up the home
and get the permits you need for the local area."

Yeah and that shows that you really don't know what you're talking
about. $2K for a good architect? LOL, you couldn't even find a bad
one to plans for a house for that amount. If you don't know anything,
then why respond at all?

Maybe you will have better luck in news:alt.building.construction ?

--
Bill

[email protected] August 19th 05 05:55 PM

Maybe you will have better luck in news:alt.building.construction ?

Thanks Bill, I'll try there!

[email protected] August 19th 05 06:01 PM

"If you tell me less than x or more than y except for specific
counties/architects/builders, I'll call you an idiot."?
You'd do well to listen more."

Sorry I have no time for morons that give answers when they have no
clue. The question I asked is straightforward. At least one person
gave a response that seems realistic. So, yeah I'm gonna get testy
when idiots give reply's like:

"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a

square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost."

Sure, I know there is a range and that it will cost somewhat more to
build the same exact house in one part of NJ as compared to another.
But sorry, 7 to 8X is just plain stupid

Or these gems from another poster saying a 7 to 8X cost differential
for construction cost is reasonable.

"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills?
Forgetaboutit!

You're obviously not familiar with the socio-economics involved in the
state
of NJ. It's too late at night for me to explain this to you. Perhaps
you
can do a Google search on crime/unemployment/average income of Camden
versus
Short Hills. I'm going to bed now. If you're still confused about
this
tomorrow I'll try to explain it to you. "

I suppose I should just thank her for her valuable insight and helping
me out. LOL

What I'm looking for, someone who really knows, could tell me easily.
A builder for example could give this info in a flash. So, sorry, but
I'm not gonna sit here and listen to rubbish.

[email protected] August 19th 05 06:03 PM

Not to get involved in the ****ing match, but I agree this is vague and
the resulting answers would be a guess (at best). Google past posts,
most inquiries asking for cost per sqr foot building/renovating, and
most end up this way.

A better post would be to ask if anyone has build in these areas, what
was the cost per sqr foot, and type of building did you get.

kubie

[email protected] August 19th 05 08:13 PM

Wow, what an asshole. First you question how much something costs
in that area and you dont know....

Then you question what a house will cost to draw up and
dispute that. WTF.

I can only tell you numbers based on what I have gone through.
So if you dont like it, tough ****.

You want to get a custom designer to draw up a victorian with
10 peaks and all other amenties then guess what **** goes higher.

I have a basic ranch. I guess for a tradesman an easy job.

Now as for the attitude, people who are local to the area gave
you info you dont like. People in the region like myself you dont like
that info either. Oh well stop being a baby and dont ask for help.

All you probably want to hear it going to cost 25.00 a foot and
will cost 20000 for the plans. Have a crappy day.

[email protected] August 19th 05 08:16 PM

And PS....

No constractor will ever just give you a number (if they do its going
to be outragiously high to cover themselves)

You dont even realize that they type of land that they build on not
to mention the type of home contributes to the cost of the home.

GO CALL A CONRACTOR AND GET LAUGHED AT, just like I am
doing right now at you.