Default Cost per sq ft for new house in NJ?

I have a friend who is going through the options for obtaining a house
in NJ. One of the possibilities is buying a lot and then building a
house on it. Does anyone have an estimate of how much per square foot
an average house costs to build. I know it will depend on a lot of
things. Not looking for super premium outfitting, nor cheapest either,
just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how
much per sq ft?

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a friend who is going through the options for obtaining a house
in NJ. One of the possibilities is buying a lot and then building a
house on it. Does anyone have an estimate of how much per square foot
an average house costs to build. I know it will depend on a lot of
things. Not looking for super premium outfitting, nor cheapest either,
just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how
much per sq ft?

Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a
square foot.

Big state, lots of variables in labor cost.

In NJ, look at www.reddiform.com

"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a

square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost. "

Thanks for the useless reply, now go back to sleep, OK?

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a

square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost. "

Thanks for the useless reply, now go back to sleep, OK?

I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your question. Be
more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar with
housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer. 'tis you the
one that must wake up. The difference quoted are realistic between Fortescue
and Fort Lee.

"I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your
question. Be
more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar
with
housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer."

OK, I was nice and gave you the benefit of the doubt by implying that
you must have just gotten up. Since you're wide away (sic) then you
must be a total moron to claim that construction costs in NJ can vary
from $120 to $900 per square foot depending on location. Now just get
lost so someone who knows something may reply.

John Grabowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
"I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your
question. Be
more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar
with
housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer."

OK, I was nice and gave you the benefit of the doubt by implying that
you must have just gotten up. Since you're wide away (sic) then you
must be a total moron to claim that construction costs in NJ can vary
from $120 to $900 per square foot depending on location. Now just get
lost so someone who knows something may reply.

I think Edwin's reply is fairly accurate. I asked a builder last year how
much should I figure per square foot if I was to build my own house. He
told me that I should roughly figure $200.00 per, but there are many
variables such as the quality of the kitchen and baths, multiple HVAC zones,
choice of fixtures and appliances, etc. I suppose if you wanted to low bid
everything and have minimum standards you might do better.

It's not very nice to ridicule someone who is trying to help you. NJ is a
hot real estate market right now. Condos, townhomes, and single family
houses are selling at premium prices and builders are very busy. Even
handyman specials are getting bought up at inflated prices. I got a call
from an old friend of mine several weeks ago. She lives in Summit. Her
neighbors sold their 2200 square foot ranch (On less than an acre) for one
million dollars a few months ago just because of the location. You do the
math.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
OK, I was nice and gave you the benefit of the doubt by implying that
you must have just gotten up. Since you're wide away (sic) then you
must be a total moron to claim that construction costs in NJ can vary
from $120 to $900 per square foot depending on location. Now just get
lost so someone who knows something may reply.

Oh my, you found a typo I made Congratulations, your prize is in the mail.
No, I'm not going to get lost.

Punch

wrote in message
oups.com...
"I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your
question. Be
more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar
with
housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer."

OK, I was nice and gave you the benefit of the doubt by implying that
you must have just gotten up. Since you're wide away (sic) then you
must be a total moron to claim that construction costs in NJ can vary
from $120 to $900 per square foot depending on location. Now just get
lost so someone who knows something may reply.

think about this trader, 2x4 construction? 2x 6?

what type of trim, bungalow, 2 story, backsplit, is the lot level, drainage
problems??

hardwood floors/ carpet/tile/granite??

fireplaces??/ etc...

steel roof, brick, siding???

how the hell do we know what your friend want and what it will cost, like
you said average to 1 person could be oak flooring, while average to another
is homedepot carpet...

Liz

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a

square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost. "

Thanks for the useless reply, now go back to sleep, OK?

I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your question.
Be more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar
with housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer. 'tis
you the one that must wake up. The difference quoted are realistic between
Fortescue and Fort Lee.

You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills?
Forgetaboutit!

Liz

"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills?
Forgetaboutit! "

Then maybe you can explain why the same house built in Short Hills is
going to cost 7 times what it would in Camden? Are materials 7X
expensive? Labor? I know there is going to be some variation, but
this $120 to $900 is just pure nonsense!

My, my, don't we become testy about what is an acceptable answer?

If you've such rigid bounds, why not say something like:
"If you tell me less than x or more than y except for specific
counties/architects/builders, I'll call you an idiot."?

You'd do well to listen more. Or let someone else be your friend's
hero.

TTFN,

"If you tell me less than x or more than y except for specific
counties/architects/builders, I'll call you an idiot."?
You'd do well to listen more."

Sorry I have no time for morons that give answers when they have no
clue. The question I asked is straightforward. At least one person
gave a response that seems realistic. So, yeah I'm gonna get testy
when idiots give reply's like:

"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a

square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost."

Sure, I know there is a range and that it will cost somewhat more to
build the same exact house in one part of NJ as compared to another.
But sorry, 7 to 8X is just plain stupid

Or these gems from another poster saying a 7 to 8X cost differential
for construction cost is reasonable.

"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills?
Forgetaboutit!

You're obviously not familiar with the socio-economics involved in the
state
of NJ. It's too late at night for me to explain this to you. Perhaps
you
can do a Google search on crime/unemployment/average income of Camden
versus
Short Hills. I'm going to bed now. If you're still confused about
this
tomorrow I'll try to explain it to you. "

I suppose I should just thank her for her valuable insight and helping
me out. LOL

What I'm looking for, someone who really knows, could tell me easily.
A builder for example could give this info in a flash. So, sorry, but
I'm not gonna sit here and listen to rubbish.

Not to get involved in the ****ing match, but I agree this is vague and
the resulting answers would be a guess (at best). Google past posts,
most inquiries asking for cost per sqr foot building/renovating, and
most end up this way.

A better post would be to ask if anyone has build in these areas, what
was the cost per sqr foot, and type of building did you get.

kubie

An air-soil solar sub-basement heat battery [email protected] Home Repair 10 March 14th 05 11:50 PM
AFUE, HSPF and COP, how do they relate? [email protected] Home Ownership 37 February 23rd 05 04:03 PM
new house cost simon beer UK diy 22 February 3rd 05 05:06 PM
Why buy a house? victor Home Ownership 376 August 19th 04 11:08 PM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Ownership 4 March 4th 04 04:31 AM