Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default AFUE, HSPF and COP, how do they relate?

http://www.energyexperts.org/fuelcalc/default.asp
wants me to calculate heat pump heating efficiencies based on the AFUE of
the heat pump, but I see them measured in HSPF (Heating System Performance
Factor) at the state website which discusses rebates
http://egov.oregon.gov/ENERGY/CONS/RES/tax/HVAC.shtml

Other USENET discussions (here and elsewhere) discuss a third measure, the
COP (Coefficiency of Perfomance).

Are there conversion factors from one to the other? Given one, how can I
calculate the others?

If there is none, is there an alternate web site I can use to estimate the
result if I replace a gas furnace with a heat pump?

Thank you kindly.

--
K7AAY John Bartley Portland OR USA views are mine, all mine.
http://kiloseven.blogspot.com
Zyp

John;

This may be a bit lengthy but I'll try to explain as breifly as possible.

The only way you can compare one unit to another [efficiency] is work in the
same language. In other words, heat [btu/h]. Capacity vs. energy consumed.

To relate, a heat pump is measured in HSPF [Heating
Seasonal Performance Factor] and COP [Coefficient of Performance.] Both
have relationship [ratio] between the energy consumed vs. heat energy
delivered.

A furnace on the other hand consumes natural gas or propane gas and delivers
heat energy vs. energy consumed and has a specifiec amount of waster AFUE
[American Fuel Utilization Efficienty]

The easiest way to make a comparison is to convert the energy the 'heat
pump' uses [kWh] to btu/h. (3413 btu/h per kWh). Then compare the amount
of btu/h energy delivered to the occupied space. This is representative of
the COP. [A heat pump with a COP of say 2.0 has a 'coefficent' of 200% as
compared to a electric strip heater of the same capacity.] Keep in mind
though, that when the conditions change [outdoor temp's] the COP decreases
as well as the capacity delivered.

On the other hand, a natural gas furnace delivers the same btu/h no matter
what the outdoor temperature is. But, is either 80% efficient or 90% - 93%
depending on the model. The remainder of the which goes up the flu stack.

When you compare $ for $ [which if you ask, I will be happy to send you a
power point presentation based on the costs associated with different energy
sources and different uses] you would find a heat pump actually is just as
effient as a gas fired heater, provided it doesn't reach a low COP [low
outdoor temp's]. This 'higher efficency' state only occurrs around 70º F
ambient. When the temp. outside drops to 50º F the COP really starts to
take a dive and the gas fired furnace becomes the winner. [More efficent.]

The time to consider a heat pump is when other fuels are either expensive,
or unavailable.

I hope this is helpful.

Zyp

p j m@see _my _sig _for_address.com

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:34:25 -0800, "Zyp" wrote:

[...]

Nonsequitor. That's like saying the moon is as low as water -
it simply doesn't make any sense at all, it's gibberish.

What you meant to say was 'cost effective'. This can only be
computed when fuel costs are known and stated ( gas v oil v
electricity ).

provided it doesn't reach a low COP [low
outdoor temp's]. This 'higher efficency' state only occurrs around 70º F
ambient.

Oh, ****ing bull****. WTF are you talking about ? You're
supposing someone runs their heat pump in heat mode when it's 70
outside ??? And that's the 'only' time heat pumps make economic sense
??? Bull****. Nonsense.

When the temp. outside drops to 50º F the COP really starts to
take a dive and the gas fired furnace becomes the winner. [More efficent.]

Bzzt. Wrong.

At ANY temp above the economic balance point, a heat pump will
continue to provide cheaper heat, IE, 'more heat energy out of it than
you put electrical ( source ) energy into it '.

IOW - even at 30 F or less, a heat pump continues to provide
economical heat. Now, it may very well not provide *ALL* the heat you
need at that point, but what heat it DOES provide is less expensive
than anything else, such as fuel-fired, etc, *IF* the fuel costs made
sense to begin with.

The economic balance point is derived from the cost of fuels
and electricity at the time. In areas with high gas/oil costs and low
KW costs, it makes sense. In areas with high KW costs and low oil/gas
costs, it does not.

The time to consider a heat pump is when other fuels are either expensive,
or unavailable.

I hope this is helpful.

Misleading in it's bulk. You started of with a few simple
facts that you got right, but then you ****ed up completely.

If you're going to give advice on a subject, you should study
it and understand it first.

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
Zyp

Paul;

Then give the advice. If you are so bent on being the perfectionist.... I
tried to answer it as simply as possible. And your correct [symantics.] But
that's fine.

Like I said you are obviously bent on putting other's down. All of your
posts are either telling someone to get the **** out or someone's wrong in
their posting. I haven't truly seen anything positive from your end.

I don't have to put up with your bull either. I can just troll ....

Zyp

p j m@see _my _sig _for_address.com wrote in message
news
[...]

Found the aforementionsed site, plus others, but they are either opaque
(don't reveal how they calculate... which, after the flap over the bad
'hockey stick' model that was used to justify Kyoto
http://www.jerrypournelle.com/view/view349.html#hockeystick makes me
mistrust them, as they are probably assuming we run our house hotter
than we do, our house is less well sealed than it is, or it's larger
than it is) or ask for data in arcane formats (i.e., AFUE for heat
pumps).

Also, a search for the conversion factors themselves was not
productive.

I did my homework first.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:29:58 -0800, "Zyp" wrote:

Paul;

Then give the advice. If you are so bent on being the perfectionist.... I
tried to answer it as simply as possible. And your correct [symantics.] But
that's fine.

**** semantics, I was correct on FACTS and INFORMATION. You
were WRONG.

You post was FACTUALLY INCORRECT and misleading in the
extreme.

You suggested that heat pumps are only effective and efficient
at 70 + ambient, and that is purest bull****. You suggested that they
are practically worthless under 50 F, and that also is purrest
bull****.

I'm not playing word games here, I'm telling anyone reading
this thread that you stated the facts incorrectly, and that they were
mislead by your post, if they believed it.

Like I said you are obviously bent on putting other's down.

I'm 'bent' on assholes not giving bad advice and incorrect
information. If you fit in that category, that's your problem, not
mine.

If you can't stand being corrected, then you have 'issues'.

All of your
posts are either telling someone to get the **** out or someone's wrong in
their posting. I haven't truly seen anything positive from your end.

You clueless ****wit.

If I don't tell you you're wrong, then how do you learn ?
What is your suggestion, that when you post wrong ****, everyone else
should just go along with it ?

Well, I would suggest that Britney Spears show up at my door
tonight drunk and horny, but I don't think either event is likely.

Here I try to teach you something about heatpumps, I try to
correct your WRONG statements so you can LEARN something, and all you
can do is take it as a personal attack.

You display not only your ignorance, but also how you acheived
it.

I don't have to put up with your bull either. I can just troll ....

And blow me.

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

Thank you for the useful basic information... much better than raving
'experts' who take the time for flame, but don't themselves provide
useful information.

A continues search found:
http://www.energyoutlet.com/res/heat...fficiency.html
which states:
snip
"A heat pump with an HSPF of 6.8 has an "average COP" of 2 for the
heating season. To estimate the average COP, divide the HSPF by 3.4.
"Don't assume the HSPF will be an accurate predictor of your actual
installed performance. HSPF assumes specific conditions that, are
unlikely to coincide with your climate. "
snip

I assume the COP is equal to the AFUE (except the AFUE is normally
expressed in terms of %). Is that fairly accurate?

On 20 Feb 2005 15:32:53 -0800, wrote:

Thank you for the useful basic information... much better than raving
'experts' who take the time for flame, but don't themselves provide
useful information.

Yes, thank him for WRONG 'information'. Thank him for helping
you NOT UNDERSTAND the answer to your questions.

A continues search found:
http://www.energyoutlet.com/res/heat...fficiency.html
which states:
snip
"A heat pump with an HSPF of 6.8 has an "average COP" of 2 for the
heating season. To estimate the average COP, divide the HSPF by 3.4.
"Don't assume the HSPF will be an accurate predictor of your actual
installed performance. HSPF assumes specific conditions that, are
unlikely to coincide with your climate. "
snip

I assume the COP is equal to the AFUE (except the AFUE is normally
expressed in terms of %). Is that fairly accurate?

Hell no.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 , p j m@see _my _sig _for_address.com replied:

Nonsequitor. That's like saying the moon is as low as water -
it simply doesn't make any sense at all, it's gibberish.

What you meant to say was 'cost effective'. This can only be
computed when fuel costs are known and stated ( gas v oil v
electricity ).

OK: Here they a

Assume 8.27 cents per KwH (current cost is 6.89 cents for a marginal KwH,
but the Administration's FY2006 budget proposal assumes BPA will raise
their rates 20% to 'market', therefore I will assume that will occur)

Assume 1.18 cents per marginal Therm.

The existing energy use is 671 Therms/year for heating with the old and
failing furnace, and 1,059 KwH for cooling (A/C only heat pump).

snip

IOW - even at 30 F or less, a heat pump continues to provide
economical heat. Now, it may very well not provide *ALL* the heat you
need at that point, but what heat it DOES provide is less expensive
than anything else, such as fuel-fired, etc, *IF* the fuel costs made
sense to begin with.

Please don't assume there's any logic to fuel pricing. It's market driven,
and the marketeers in this case include Enron's Portland General Electric.

The economic balance point is derived from the cost of fuels
and electricity at the time. In areas with high gas/oil costs and low
KW costs, it makes sense. In areas with high KW costs and low oil/gas
costs, it does not.

Given the data above, what's your take on the matter at hand?

It may be helpful to visit
tinyurl.com/64pq6
which is an EPA site with an estimator program, with my data already
entered. However, I am uncertain of several of their assumptions.

The optimum solution, so far, seems to be a 90% furmace, as over ten years
it looks less expensive than the 80% also proposed. Here is the data,
transposed from an Excel spreadsheet:

Dealer estimate
Gross price
state rebate
net up front cost
finance cost
total furnace cost
est yearly fuel cost (based on projected fuel cost * old furnace efficiency
/ new furnace efficiency)
5 year cost
10 year cost
15 year cost
(All figures in current dollars)

I'd be happy to send the spreadsheet by e-mail if desired.

Projected gas cost is 1.03 * current fuel cost, based on EPA demand
projections of a 3% increase. Very rough, not at all accurate, but best
available in a short period of time.

Dealer estimate for REPAIR
Gross price = $1,560
state rebate = $0
net up front cost = $1,560
finance cost = $0
total furnace cost = $1,560
est yearly fuel cost = $812
5 year cost = $7,181 (assumes re-repair every 5 yr., same cost)
10 year cost = $14,363
15 year cost = $21,544

Dealer estimate for REPLACE W/ 80% EFFICIENT FURNACE
Gross price = $ 2,600
state rebate = $0
net up front cost = $2,600
finance cost = $7 on balance we can't pay for immediately
total furnace cost = $2,607
est yearly fuel cost = $711
5 year cost = $6,161
10 year cost = $9,714
15 year cost = $13,268

Dealer estimate for REPLACE W/ 90% EFFICIENT FURNACE
Gross price = $3,400
state rebate = $200
net up front cost = $3,200
finance cost = $49
total furnace cost = $3,249
est yearly fuel cost = $632
5 year cost = $6,408
10 year cost = $9,567
15 year cost = $12,725

Dealer estimate for REPLACE W/ 94% EFFICIENT FURNACE
Gross price = $4,700
state rebate = $550
net up front cost = $4,150
finance cost = $116
total furnace cost = $4,266
est yearly fuel cost = $605
5 year cost = $7,290
10 year cost = $10,314
15 year cost = $13,339

A very rough estimate of an air-air heat pump to replace both the exisiting
A/C only heat pump and the gas furnace follows. It deducts our current
estimated A/C energy cost from the total energy cost for the 5, 10 and 15
year projections, and uses that 20% hike in electrical cost I mentioned
above.

It uses the EPA's website (op cit.) ballpark price for an air-air heat pump
with HSFP 8.5 & SEER 13 of $4,800, and adds $500 for each step up in
effiiciency. It also assumes the existing duct work, which serves us well
for summer A/C needs, would be servicable for winter heating. None of
these assumptions are sacred, and any improvements in accuracy you suggest
would be eagerly listened to, as we have two more estimators from diferent
HVAC companies coming tomorrow, and we'd like to make a decision soon after
the last departs.

Ballpark estimate for REPLACE W/ HEAT PUMP, HSFP 8.5 SEER 13
Gross price = $ 4,800
state rebate = $500
net up front cost = $4,300
finance cost = $126 on balance we can't pay for immediately
total replacement cost = $4,426
est yearly energy cost = $811
5 year cost = $8,043 (adjusting for greater cooling efficiency)
10 year cost = $11,660
15 year cost = $15,227

Ballpark estimate for REPLACE W/ HEAT PUMP, HSFP 9 SEER 13.5
Gross price = $ 5,300
state rebate = $600
net up front cost = $4,700
finance cost = $154 on balance we can't pay for immediately
total replacement cost = $4,854
est yearly energy cost = $768
5 year cost = $8,256 (adjusting for greater cooling efficiency)
10 year cost = $11,658
15 year cost = $15,060

Ballpark estimate for REPLACE W/ HEAT PUMP, HSFP 9.5 SEER 14
Gross price = $ 5,800
state rebate = $700
net up front cost = $5,100
finance cost = $182 on balance we can't pay for immediately
total replacement cost = $5,282
est yearly energy cost = $730
5 year cost = $8,494 (adjusting for greater cooling efficiency)
10 year cost = $11,706
15 year cost = $14,918

BTW, I made several hours of attempts to find anyone in the Portland (OR)
metro area who was competent to discuss ground source heat pumps. The one
designer I found, who did the People's Food Co-Op system, said the
underlying basalt where our home is (said homesite having been selected to
avoid soil liquification when the Big One hits) makes vertical well
drilling very chancy. That was confirmed by a local well driller, who did
some well work about a quarter mile from here. The largest open space we
have for a slinky layout is 30' x 60', which makes me think I don't have
the room for a ground source heat sink.

And, BTW, Paul, have you considered offering your expertise to other Palm
Users? PalmSource offers their Expert Guides, and I see there is no HVAC
guide. The compensation is modest, but you may find it worthwhile.

http://www.palmsource.com/expertguides/

Thank you kindly.

--
K7AAY John Bartley Portland OR USA views are mine, all mine.
http://kiloseven.blogspot.com
"The Temporal Office says you have to do this. No, no explanation.
Here's your stuffed tuna and an airhorn." - James Nicoll

PrecisionMachinisT

"Zyp" wrote in message

ambient. When the temp. outside drops to 50º F the COP really starts to
take a dive and the gas fired furnace becomes the winner. [More

efficent.]

Suggest take a *good* look at some typical heat pump performance charts that
show outdoor temperatures v/s btu output, and charted along with compressor
draw before attempting to give advice.

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message

BTW, I made several hours of attempts to find anyone in the Portland (OR)
metro area who was competent to discuss ground source heat pumps. The one
designer I found, who did the People's Food Co-Op system, said the
underlying basalt where our home is (said homesite having been selected to
avoid soil liquification when the Big One hits) makes vertical well
drilling very chancy. That was confirmed by a local well driller, who did
some well work about a quarter mile from here.

You do realize that you don't have drill until you "hit water" in order to
use geothermal......

--

SVL

Here's another rule of thumb:

"Around 37 F many heat pumps reach what is called the balance point. At
or near this temperature the heat pump needs to run constantly to
produce enough heat to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature."
http://www.askthebuilder.com/294_Hea...ey_Work_.shtml

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message

BTW, I made several hours of attempts to find anyone in the Portland (OR)
metro area who was competent to discuss ground source heat pumps. The one
designer I found, who did the People's Food Co-Op system, said the
underlying basalt where our home is (said homesite having been selected to
avoid soil liquification when the Big One hits) makes vertical well
drilling very chancy.

Which kinda begs the question....

Didja happen to ask him about horizontal well drilling ???

SVL

Yes. However, he said he was likely to hit basalt within 50', which
makes even the design here impractical:

http://www.copper.org/applications/p...s_stdy_pa1.htm
http://www.copper.org/applications/p...s_stdy_pa2.htm

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes. However, he said he was likely to hit basalt within 50', which
makes even the design here impractical:

http://www.copper.org/applications/p...al/cs_stdy_pa1.
htm

http://www.copper.org/applications/p...al/cs_stdy_pa2.
htm

Direct exchange system....

Im guessing you near the west hills else maybe down towards Oregon
City........... some hard rock in both those areas for sure....

The Troutdale aquifer is all sand, and is a perfect area for geo....oh
well.......( pun not intended )

I use all heat pumps, an easy choice since nat gas isnt readily for me and i
dont feel like bothering with propane........

My brother is up north of here, nearer to Seattle, and he uses a heat pump
with gas backup...his having gone through this process just a few years
ago...and so so if I was to advise, I would suggest you should consider
doing the same--that way you can always change over your primary heat source
depending upon what the fossil fuel v/s electricity prices do in the
future......and since you are looking 15 years out and all.....that's just
too long a time span, IMO--and so it becomes more like gazing at a chrystal
ball than it is making accurate economical decisions...anybody's guess.....

--

SVL

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:32:31 -0800, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

Direct exchange system....

Im guessing you near the west hills else maybe down towards Oregon
City........... some hard rock in both those areas for sure....

Got it in 2... S. side of Oatfield Hill, between Milwaukie & Gladstone.

snip
I use all heat pumps, an easy choice since nat gas isnt readily for me and i
dont feel like bothering with propane........

snip

So, how do things work when KGW is predicting the end of the world in the
next ice storm, and it gets below 30F?

On 20 Feb 2005 18:18:40 -0800, wrote:

Here's another rule of thumb:

"Around 37 F many heat pumps reach what is called the balance point. At
or near this temperature the heat pump needs to run constantly to
produce enough heat to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature."
http://www.askthebuilder.com/294_Hea...ey_Work_.shtml

That is also bull****.

It is called the 'thermal balance point' ( as opposed to the
*economic* balance point I referred to earlier ), and it ENTIRELY
depends on the size of the equipment, in relation to the load.

Given 2 identical houses, side by side, one with a 3 ton heat
pump and one with a 10 ton heat pump, the outdoor temperature where
the 3 ton can 'barely keep up' will be very different ( higher ) than
the temperature whre the 10 ton system can barely keep up.

In either event, below the 'thermal balance point', the heat
pump is STILL putting out economical heat into the house, it simply
needs another source to add MORE heat.

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message

So, how do things work when KGW is predicting the end of the world in the
next ice storm, and it gets below 30F?

30 F usually aint bad at all...sized properly, heat pumps generally work
fine in that temp.

But, this doesnt really belong on alt hvac, so best would be to take it
offline as I dont follow the other groups you are crossposting posting
to.....feel free to email me for more info if you like--my email address is
good.

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

p j m@see _my _sig _for_address.com wrote in message

Given 2 identical houses, side by side, one with a 3 ton heat
pump and one with a 10 ton heat pump, the outdoor temperature where
the 3 ton can 'barely keep up' will be very different ( higher ) than
the temperature whre the 10 ton system can barely keep up.

In either event, below the 'thermal balance point', the heat
pump is STILL putting out economical heat into the house, it simply
needs another source to add MORE heat.

IOW, on heating...for the most part, the steep drop-off is in *capacity*,
not *efficiency* when the outdoor ambient temp swings low.....

Why is this difficult for so many folks ???

--

SVL

p j m@see _my _sig _for_address.com

OK, maybe 'symantics' is 'pretend shenanigans' :-)

Work on it, folks, work on it :-)

Zyp wrote:

[...]

Oscar_Lives

That's how they spelt it in the "old ways".

Here's how the college edjikated people spell it:

3 entries found for semantics.
To select an entry, click on it.
semanticsgeneral semanticsgenerative semantics

Main Entry: se·man·tics
Pronunciation: si-'man-tiks
Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction
1 : the study of meanings: a : the historical and psychological study
and the classification of changes in the signification of words or forms
viewed as factors in linguistic development b (1) : SEMIOTIC (2) : a branch
of semiotic dealing with the relations between signs and what they refer to
and including theories of denotation, extension, naming, and truth
2 : GENERAL SEMANTICS
3 a : the meaning or relationship of meanings of a sign or set of
signs; especially : connotative meaning b : the language used (as in
advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an
audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings

Zyp wrote:
[...]

Attached Images

"A heat pump with an HSPF of 6.8 has an "average COP" of 2 for the
heating season. To estimate the average COP, divide the HSPF by 3.4.

That is because in the US, heat output rate is measured in BTU/hr and
electrical input is measured in watts. HSPF is the ratio of output
BTU/hr to watts consumed, using some industry standard test conditions.
COP is simply heatout/heatin, using consistent energy units in both
numerator and denominator, at whatever specified conditions. 1 watt =
3.414 BTU/hr, which rounds to 3.4, so "average COP" = HSPF/3.4.

So if you had a heatpump with an HSPF of 7.5 and an electrical draw of
10 kW, the heat output would be 75000 BTU/hr (under the conditions that
match the test conditions). 75000 BTU/hr is 75000/3.414 = 21980 watts,
which means the COP under those same conditions is 22kW/10kW = 2.2;
that's the same as 7.5/3.4.

As outdoor temperature drops, the system output can drop below 75000
BTU/hr for 10 kW input*, meaning the COP drops below 2.2. Therefore
HSPF is a "seasonal" average, or a time-weighted average that is
supposed to take into account how COP varies with typical weather
cycles where there are several days of extreme temperatures and several
weeks of milder temperature.

"Don't assume the HSPF will be an accurate predictor of your actual
installed performance. HSPF assumes specific conditions that, are
unlikely to coincide with your climate. "

Meaning your performance may be better or worse than the test
conditions which simulate the "average climate." However the HSPF
rating is still a means for comparing one machine to another, in terms
of which one will cost more to operate, before you buy.

I assume the COP is equal to the AFUE (except the AFUE is normally
expressed in terms of %). Is that fairly accurate?

Same basic ratio (power out/power in) but applied to different
equipment. AFUE applies to heating equipment that does not use the heat
pump cycle. COP of a heatpump is greater than 1 measured at the
condenser** because compressor heat adds to the heat pumped, AFUE is
usually less than 1 because not all the energy consumed goes to where
you are trying to use it.

%mod%

*electrical consumption may decrease with increased indoor-outdoor
temperature differential, but heat output is decreasing faster thus COP
is decreasing.

**in heatpump mode, the condenser is the indoor coil. COP can also be
measured using heat absorbed by the evaporator, most often the case for
refrigeration.

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
p j m@see _my _sig _for_address.com wrote in message

Given 2 identical houses, side by side, one with a 3 ton heat
pump and one with a 10 ton heat pump, the outdoor temperature where
the 3 ton can 'barely keep up' will be very different ( higher )

than
the temperature whre the 10 ton system can barely keep up.

In either event, below the 'thermal balance point', the heat
pump is STILL putting out economical heat into the house, it simply
needs another source to add MORE heat.

IOW, on heating...for the most part, the steep drop-off is in

*capacity*,
not *efficiency* when the outdoor ambient temp swings low.....

Why is this difficult for so many folks ???

Would you guys say that if a HP system is oversized, the COP can fall
enough that the economic balance point is reached, even though the
reduction in capacity isn't enough to hit the thermal balance point?

%mod%

p j m@see _my _sig _for_address.com wrote:

Oh, yes, absolutely.

The TBP is the point where the output of the heat pump is
sufficient to maintain target temps inside ( regardless of cost ).

The ECB is the point where the cost of getting a BTU out of
the HP exceeds the cost of getting it from some other source ( gas /
oil ).

In theory, the ECB of a HP CAN NOT fall below unity ** as
compared to electric strip heat **, IE, it will ALWAYS return at

least
1 KW worth of heat for 1 KW of power to run it ( COP of 1 ).

Well agreed on the last point. However if the alternative source is
gas/oil, the EBP will be reached well before the COP falls close to 1.
Right?

And if the HP is sized so that it can maintain design temp even below
the EBP, then it seems clear that as outdoor temperature drops, further
increase in heat loss simultaneous with reduction in capacity to reach
the TBP, could only result in the cost of electric HP heat exceeding
gas/oil at the TBP.

So I'd say that the statement "below the 'thermal balance point', the
heat pump is STILL putting out economical heat into the house" depends
on

1) alternate heat is resistive strips, such that the EBP cannot ever
realistically be reached - OR -

2) the TBP is above the EBP, and the presence of an EBP implies fossil
fuel alternate heat source; in this case, the HP would never be run
below the EBP because the fossil source would have taken over.

I could see how either 1 or 2 could apply to almost all real world
scenarios, except for gross oversizing.

When I was at my neighbor's diagnosing an (unrelated) electrical
problem, I discovered his HP can maintain 67F indoors with 17F outdoors
with the outdoor unit fan not running (burnt out). His COP can't be
that great in that situation, certainly not as high as 2. It was
installed in 1978, oil backup. He's on his 2nd tank of oil since
installation.

His HP is on a separate meter. This underscores the point that the EBP
is tied to the rates of both electricity and the alternate fuel. That
can change day-to-day, even hour-to-hour because of demand metering.

%mod%

On 21 Feb 2005 14:28:33 -0800, wrote:

p j m@see _my _sig _for_address.com wrote:

Oh, yes, absolutely.

The TBP is the point where the output of the heat pump is
sufficient to maintain target temps inside ( regardless of cost ).

The ECB is the point where the cost of getting a BTU out of
the HP exceeds the cost of getting it from some other source ( gas /
oil ).

In theory, the ECB of a HP CAN NOT fall below unity ** as
compared to electric strip heat **, IE, it will ALWAYS return at

least
1 KW worth of heat for 1 KW of power to run it ( COP of 1 ).

Well agreed on the last point. However if the alternative source is
gas/oil, the EBP will be reached well before the COP falls close to 1.
Right?

Very likely, but of course depending on the cost of each fuel
source, and the efficiency of the furnace in question. At a practical
'real world' level - 'yes'.

And if the HP is sized so that it can maintain design temp even below
the EBP, then it seems clear that as outdoor temperature drops, further
increase in heat loss simultaneous with reduction in capacity to reach
the TBP, could only result in the cost of electric HP heat exceeding
gas/oil at the TBP.

Yes, exactly. More importantly, proper heat pump sizing is
mainly oriented towards COOLING needs, where SHR ( sensible heat ratio
), IE, latent heat removal, is so important.

By general concept, heat pumps are most effective where it is
warmer. Thus, in context, cooling season is going to be a dominant
concern. Thus, moisture removal is critical to proper system design.
Thus, oversizing ( such as to provide more heat during the lesser
heating season, at the expense of proper moisture removal in summer )
is not advised.

In an area that is so dominantly cold rather than hot, heat
pumps make a lot less sense, if any. In areas where it is dominantly
hot, heat pumps should be sized as AC units, with AC needs in mind.

So I'd say that the statement "below the 'thermal balance point', the
heat pump is STILL putting out economical heat into the house" depends
on

1) alternate heat is resistive strips, such that the EBP cannot ever
realistically be reached - OR -

2) the TBP is above the EBP, and the presence of an EBP implies fossil
fuel alternate heat source; in this case, the HP would never be run
below the EBP because the fossil source would have taken over.

Close, not quite cigar material.

The HP can still be contributing economically effective heat
below it's TBP, even if the TBP is below the EBP. Then again, this is
likely to be splitting hairs - if it's *****ing* cold out, you need
some *real* heat ! :-)

My own system as case in point - when it gets ~ 35 outside,
the HP can't keep up, and the strips kick in as stage 2. But I let
the HP continue to run, because THOSE BTU's are still costing me less
than the ones coming from the strip heat. IE, below TBP, above EBP.
At much less than ~ 25, I get tired of hearing the fan run all the
time and the cost difference is so minor, so I just go to plain strip
heat. Below ~ 17, I need BOTH to maintain temps - neither one by
itself is enough. The HP is STILL adding BTU's, very very noticabley
and measurably, but not at as much savings if any below the strip
heat. But the strip heat by itself won't keep up.

When I was at my neighbor's diagnosing an (unrelated) electrical
problem, I discovered his HP can maintain 67F indoors with 17F outdoors
with the outdoor unit fan not running (burnt out).

That's rough :-) The outdoor fan is how the HP accumualtes
heat to be moved inside ...... without it - you got squat.

His COP can't be
that great in that situation, certainly not as high as 2. It was
installed in 1978, oil backup. He's on his 2nd tank of oil since
installation.

Tell him to invest in a fixed fan :-)

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online
http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
Jake

When I was at my neighbor's diagnosing an (unrelated) electrical
problem, I discovered his HP can maintain 67F indoors with 17F outdoors
with the outdoor unit fan not running (burnt out).

That's rough :-) The outdoor fan is how the HP accumualtes
heat to be moved inside ...... without it - you got squat.

His COP can't be
that great in that situation, certainly not as high as 2. It was
installed in 1978, oil backup. He's on his 2nd tank of oil since
installation.

Tell him to invest in a fixed fan :-)

Ok, Paul, you got me here. I thought I understood heat pumps but what's this
about 'accumulates' heat. I guess I always thought when the RV kicked in,
the evap was being used as a condenser and the vice versa. If this not
true?... except that the metering device is still on the ID coil.

FWIW, here in Indiana I see very few people with commercial HP's who are
happy with them. Our office has them and I'm not happy with them there.
Seems like they run far too hard, and the service life is about 10 years
tops (Carrier) and the strips run a lot of the time anyhow.

Might have just been a bad application for me... overhead doors opening and
closing, pedestrian doors opening and closing, etc. I'm convinced in a good,
tight home it may be a good idea here, but in commercial, I'm skeptical. We
have Carrier here at home NG with straight AC, and it works well.

Jake

Oscar_Lives

"Jake" wrote in message
[...]

You know, I'll bet your commercial application would work better if your
building had more "thermal mass" to store the heat so that the temps would
be less affected by doors opening, etc. More mass might help keep the
strips from coming on as often (or as long).

By general concept, heat pumps are most effective where it is
warmer. Thus, in context, cooling season is going to be a dominant
concern. Thus, moisture removal is critical to proper system design.
Thus, oversizing ( such as to provide more heat during the lesser
heating season, at the expense of proper moisture removal in summer )
is not advised.

In an area that is so dominantly cold rather than hot, heat
pumps make a lot less sense, if any. In areas where it is dominantly
hot, heat pumps should be sized as AC units, with AC needs in mind.

I agree fully.

My neighbor provides a counterpoint. Our climate would dictate fossil
fuel for a significant part of the heating season, but he wants no gas
in the house and even hates to use the oil backup heat. He'd be
all-electric except for fear of freezing during a blackout. Thus his
emergency heat is oil while for some reason he apparently has no
strips. So to him, his setup "makes sense" and inasmuch as he places a
dollar value on avoiding natural gas, it may even be "economical" for
him.

[...]

Maybe it comes down to what we mean by "economically effective." To me,
it means the most economical (least costly) choice of heat source,
given the physical design of the system. Therefore, operating the HP
anywhere below EBP is not economically effective, by the very
definition of the EBP.

My own system as case in point - when it gets ~ 35 outside,
the HP can't keep up, and the strips kick in as stage 2. But I let
the HP continue to run, because THOSE BTU's are still costing me less
than the ones coming from the strip heat. IE, below TBP, above EBP.
At much less than ~ 25, I get tired of hearing the fan run all the
time and the cost difference is so minor, so I just go to plain strip
heat.

You have electric resistance strip heaters as backup, so you fall into
category (1) above. By your own words, you're also in category (2)
where TBP is above EBP (except you don't have fossil). So you don't
have a case of operating below both TBP and EBP while still trying to
call it "economical." Thus I think I do get that cigar!

To clarify, I posit that an EBP doesn't really apply for an
all-electric system, because at the worst the choice is between HP with
COP of 1 or strips with COP of 1. But either of these choices would
generally be more costly than fossil fuel at today's electric and fuel
prices, in $ per BTU of just the fuel or watts-hours. So the EBP
applies most directly to HP/fossil systems. In some sense, there is an
EBP with HP/strip systems, in that the COP falls close enough to 1 that
the extra wear of running the compressor and fan can't be justified
simply to avoid using the strips.

As a side note, even in climates where fossil would seem to make sense,
the expense of getting gas or oil service installed in certain
locations, coupled to the additional expense of purchasing and
maintaining the furnace relative to just an air handler, could make
all-electric more "economical" in a total cost of ownership sense.

Below ~ 17, I need BOTH to maintain temps - neither one by
itself is enough. The HP is STILL adding BTU's, very very noticabley
and measurably, but not at as much savings if any below the strip
heat. But the strip heat by itself won't keep up.

Right, you're using the compressor work as additional electric heat,
even though you might not be pulling much additional heat from the
outdoor coil.

When I was at my neighbor's diagnosing an (unrelated) electrical
problem, I discovered his HP can maintain 67F indoors with 17F

outdoors
with the outdoor unit fan not running (burnt out).

That's rough :-) The outdoor fan is how the HP accumualtes
heat to be moved inside ...... without it - you got squat.

Without the od fan running, you get at least the heat from the
compressor. And that was apparently enough to keep his house 50F warmer
than the outdoor temperature. I was surprised to say the least. It must
be *grossly* oversized for the cooling load, where a 20 degree td would
be more typical in these parts.

His COP can't be
that great in that situation, certainly not as high as 2. It was
installed in 1978, oil backup. He's on his 2nd tank of oil since
installation.

Tell him to invest in a fixed fan :-)

I did and he did. Big old York "coffeetable" outdoor unit.

%mod%

Tekkie

posted for all of us....

He'd be
all-electric except for fear of freezing during a blackout. Thus his

I'm not arguing with you but what does he think his system is going to do
during a power outage?
--
Tekkie

Tekkie wrote:
posted for all of us....

He'd be
all-electric except for fear of freezing during a blackout. Thus

his

I'm not arguing with you but what does he think his system is going

to do
during a power outage?
--
Tekkie

It's a good point. The oil burner and air circulator do require
electricity, after all. So there may be more to having the oil backup
than fear of blackout. Fear of heatpump breakdown, maybe? Maybe the
idea of economic balance point was explained to him when he bought the
system, but he sees no need to switch to oil when it gets really cold
outside, because his HP is so oversized it keeps his house warm enough
anyway, cost of oil vs. electric be damned?

The only straight story I can get from him is how old the system is and
how he seems to like to save the oil for emergencies. My guess is if
the power did go out for an extended time, I'd run a wire over to his
house from my generator to run his system on oil to keep his pipes from
freezing. Running the HP from a generator would require a much bigger
generator.

%mod%