Ross Mac

wrote in message
oups.com...
"I think Edwin's reply is fairly accurate. I asked a builder last year
how
much should I figure per square foot if I was to build my own house.
He
told me that I should roughly figure $200.00 per, but there are many
variables such as the quality of the kitchen and baths, multiple HVAC
zones,
choice of fixtures and appliances, etc. "

And if Edwin's reply was similar to what your builder told you, I
wouldn't be ridiculing him. But it wasn't, was it? He said $120 to
$900 because labor costs vary by location. Sure, I know there is going
to be some variation, but nearly 8X is just plain crazy. There is no
way in hell the same house built in two different areas of NJ on land
you already own is going to vary that much.

I can tell you from reading many of Ed's post's that he is NO fool. Your OP
had little to no details and thus your answer. Cost per square foot can go
up dramatically in high cost regions. Especially if all the contractors are
very busy. When you start adding expensive options that will bring the cost
up too. We built a home down here in Florida and the cost per square went up
about 50% after the wife was done adding all the goodies.....well...my 2
cents....