lbbss

Default Lawn mower poor start. Spark plug new, old one works good.

I have a 6hp lawn mower (2 year old) that is very difficult to start in
spring and fall, even in the summer it takes 6 tries to start (and 2
times priming it). If I switch spark plugs with my old lawn mower it
works great. I checked the gap is the same. The plug looks clean,
but I sand it down just to make sure no carbon left on it. Any ideas?
Thanks

Bill 2

"lbbss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 6hp lawn mower (2 year old) that is very difficult to start in
spring and fall, even in the summer it takes 6 tries to start (and 2
times priming it). If I switch spark plugs with my old lawn mower it
works great. I checked the gap is the same. The plug looks clean,
but I sand it down just to make sure no carbon left on it. Any ideas?
Thanks

Continue using the plug that works better.

"lbbss" wrote:

I have a 6hp lawn mower (2 year old) that is very difficult to start in
spring and fall, even in the summer it takes 6 tries to start (and 2
times priming it). If I switch spark plugs with my old lawn mower it
works great. I checked the gap is the same. The plug looks clean,
but I sand it down just to make sure no carbon left on it. Any ideas?
Thanks

Replace the mower. Most sparkplugs are now lifetime sparkplugs, and
if the sparkplug doesn't work, your mower has reached the limit of its
lifetime...

I might be frugal, but I'm not going to dick around with a $2.00
sparkplug that has no user serviceable parts inside. I'd sport for a
new one.

Pagan

"lbbss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 6hp lawn mower (2 year old) that is very difficult to start in
spring and fall, even in the summer it takes 6 tries to start (and 2
times priming it). If I switch spark plugs with my old lawn mower it
works great. I checked the gap is the same. The plug looks clean,
but I sand it down just to make sure no carbon left on it. Any ideas?

Bad plug? Sometimes they do go. The insulator might be cracked, there
might be a bad conductor somewhere inside, who knows?

Buy a new plug, making sure you get the right one for that motor.

Pagan

Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

"lbbss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 6hp lawn mower (2 year old) that is very difficult to start in
spring and fall, even in the summer it takes 6 tries to start (and 2
times priming it). If I switch spark plugs with my old lawn mower it
works great. I checked the gap is the same. The plug looks clean,
but I sand it down just to make sure no carbon left on it. Any ideas?
Thanks

Buy a BIG can of "Engine Starting Fluid"....
Nothing smells like Ether in the morning

Mark

is one plug a "resistor type" ?

why don't you hook up the plug without screwing it into the cylinder
but do ground it ot the engine and see how each on sparks when you
pull the rope.

Make SURE there is no gas around when you try this.

Mark

Stormin Mormon

Champion h ad a run of bad spark plugs for awhile. Try NGC, or AC Delco.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"lbbss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 6hp lawn mower (2 year old) that is very difficult to start in
spring and fall, even in the summer it takes 6 tries to start (and 2
times priming it). If I switch spark plugs with my old lawn mower it
works great. I checked the gap is the same. The plug looks clean,
but I sand it down just to make sure no carbon left on it. Any ideas?
Thanks

Pop

wrote in message
"lbbss" wrote:

I have a 6hp lawn mower (2 year old) that is very
difficult to start in
spring and fall, even in the summer it takes 6 tries
to start (and 2
times priming it). If I switch spark plugs with my
old lawn mower it
works great. I checked the gap is the same. The
plug looks clean,
but I sand it down just to make sure no carbon left
on it. Any ideas?
Thanks

Replace the mower. Most sparkplugs are now lifetime
sparkplugs, and
if the sparkplug doesn't work, your mower has reached
the limit of its
lifetime...

=== That's not right; especially considering he has
demonstrated that a different plug works differently in
the machine. The other plug is pretyt likely even the
same plug number considering where it came from, but
the OP didn't say. First a new plug is in order.

I might be frugal, but I'm not going to dick around
with a $2.00
sparkplug that has no user serviceable parts inside.
I'd sport for a
new one.

=== I don't consider that frugal; I consider it
wasteful to buy a new mower when a spark plug is likely
all that's needed.
You sound like the cattle dealer I worked for as a
kid; he bought a brand new Cadillac every year, paid
the diff each time in cash. He did that because he
wouldn't bother with maintenance on a car in any way.
The second owner got a great deal but they also got a
car with 50,000 miles on the original showroom oil.
His handy man kept the tires inflated and hosed the mud
off periodically.

pop

Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

=== I don't consider that frugal; I consider it
wasteful to buy a new mower when a spark plug is likely
all that's needed.
You sound like the cattle dealer I worked for as a
kid; he bought a brand new Cadillac every year, paid
the diff each time in cash. He did that because he
wouldn't bother with maintenance on a car in any way.
The second owner got a great deal but they also got a
car with 50,000 miles on the original showroom oil.
His handy man kept the tires inflated and hosed the mud
off periodically.

pop

Hey POP!!.....it was a joke....he made a funny....jeez.....

Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Champion h ad a run of bad spark plugs for awhile. Try NGC,(THATS NGK YOU

BIBLE THUMPER) or AC Delco.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus, GOD IS GOOD BUSINESS

entire life to a group of people.
www.lsd.org (these people are on drugs)
www.morons.com (the name says it all! wax your car with their temple

garments (or wipe your ass with them)

"lbbss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 6hp lawn mower (2 year old) that is very difficult to start in
spring and fall, even in the summer it takes 6 tries to start (and 2
times priming it). If I switch spark plugs with my old lawn mower it
works great. I checked the gap is the same. The plug looks clean,
but I sand it down just to make sure no carbon left on it. Any ideas?
Thanks

Logic316

=== I don't consider that frugal; I consider it
wasteful to buy a new mower when a spark plug is likely
all that's needed.
You sound like the cattle dealer I worked for as a
kid; he bought a brand new Cadillac every year, paid
the diff each time in cash. He did that because he
wouldn't bother with maintenance on a car in any way.
The second owner got a great deal but they also got a
car with 50,000 miles on the original showroom oil.
His handy man kept the tires inflated and hosed the mud
off periodically.

pop

Gee, that guy drove 50,000 miles per year? Yeah, uh huh.....

Pop

"Logic316" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure why you'd doubt that; it's pretty easy to do,
especially for a cattle dealer. He drove everywhere
and drove fast and hard. I only personally the
speedometer on one of his traded cars once, and it was
at 52,xxx miles. I asked to see it because the dealer
said it was the highest mileage he'd evern seen on a 14
month old (I think that was it) car. I just happened
to be buying a car at the time. Obviously, 50k has a
+/-, but his cars were srot of a legend around here.
He'd drive from here to Chicago and then down to Texas
and back without even thinking about it. This is far
upstate NY, on the St. Lawrence River.
Guess I do have to admit that the mileage is only
that of the drive wheels; they're often a different
mileage than the other two g. I swear, he must have
put ten miles on it once, just driving me the mile it
took out across a freshly combined oat field to get to
his workmen. It's amazing how smooth a caddy is in an
oat field at 60 mph when it gets less hilly, know that?
g. Oh! And you should have seen it anytime he buried
it in the mud or snow! He was an expert at rocking an
automatic transmission in the mud at what sounded like
almost full throttle!
The dealer brought HIM the cars; he never went to the
dealer's to look at them. He claimed the only thing he
insisted on was the "best tires in town" once. I was
just a kid at the time (he was an old man, now passed
away) and he's still the most interesting (weirdest and
most fun) person I ever worked for!

Sorry if you wanna be a ball buster; I thought it was
interesting. Flame away - if you wish - no skin off my
nose. Personally I enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

Pop

Logic316

Pop wrote:
"Logic316" wrote in message
[...]

Me a ball buster? Neeeeever. But 50K/year sounded a tad unlikely and
I wanted to hear a bit more. Myself, I only put 3500 miles per year on
my car and any more than that seems like a lot (to me, anyway). Cool
story!

- Logic316

"Members of society must obey the law because they personally believe
that its commands are justified."
-- Judge David Bazelon - Questioning Authority: Justice and Criminal
Law

Pop

"Logic316" wrote in message
oups.com...
Pop wrote:
"Logic316" wrote in
message
[...]

Yeah, experience counts heavily in our lives, doesn't
it? We lived in Ca when we bought our first car, a
1968 Mustang/Shelby package Grand Touring California
Special for a whopping $3,200! As you may know, you
don't walk anywhere out there; you drive. In the first
three months we put 21,000 mies on it and the dealer
just loved us! And the cost of gas in those days was
negligible of course.
Then, the 4th month I was discharged from the Navy,
and we drove another 11,000 miles in getting from San
Diego up to LA and meandered across the states to our
home in far upstate NY. AFter vacationing awhile at
"home" we moved to Chgo where we'd then drive back home
four or five times a year, abt 750 miles on 90 and 8xx
if we took the Canadian way on the 401, which was
faster, but longer. It reached a hundred grand pretty
quick and being an apartment dweller we had no place
and no money to store it, so we traded it in on a
station wagon since we were starting our family. I've
kicked myself ever since for not bringing that car home
and just "parking" it somewhere in a field or barn or
something; never even thought of doing that back then!
Now we hit a lot less than 9,000 on the two cars we
have combined!!

Ain't life strange? I want my GTCS back! Never even
laid eyes on another one in this part of the country
and only once in Chgo. Memories ...

Pop

Craftsman Lawn Mower Problems dejablues Home Repair 1 July 8th 05 01:56 AM
Spark Plug Replacement: How Often For A Mower ? Robert11 Home Repair 8 June 21st 05 06:08 AM
18MM sparkplug for lawn mower? meirman Home Repair 21 December 11th 04 08:21 PM
spark plug life Peter Home Repair 14 January 9th 04 01:42 AM
Advantage: Lawn Vac vs. Mower? Steve Home Repair 5 November 9th 03 05:30 PM