Logic316

Pop wrote:
"Logic316" wrote in message
=== I don't consider that frugal; I consider it
wasteful to buy a new mower when a spark plug is
likely
all that's needed.
You sound like the cattle dealer I worked for
as a
kid; he bought a brand new Cadillac every year,
paid
the diff each time in cash. He did that because
he
wouldn't bother with maintenance on a car in any
way.
The second owner got a great deal but they also
got a
car with 50,000 miles on the original showroom
oil.
His handy man kept the tires inflated and hosed
the mud
off periodically.

pop

Gee, that guy drove 50,000 miles per year? Yeah, uh
huh.....

Not sure why you'd doubt that; it's pretty easy to do,
especially for a cattle dealer. He drove everywhere
and drove fast and hard. I only personally the
speedometer on one of his traded cars once, and it was
at 52,xxx miles. I asked to see it because the dealer
said it was the highest mileage he'd evern seen on a 14
month old (I think that was it) car. I just happened
to be buying a car at the time. Obviously, 50k has a
+/-, but his cars were srot of a legend around here.
He'd drive from here to Chicago and then down to Texas
and back without even thinking about it. This is far
upstate NY, on the St. Lawrence River.
Guess I do have to admit that the mileage is only
that of the drive wheels; they're often a different
mileage than the other two g. I swear, he must have
put ten miles on it once, just driving me the mile it
took out across a freshly combined oat field to get to
his workmen. It's amazing how smooth a caddy is in an
oat field at 60 mph when it gets less hilly, know that?
g. Oh! And you should have seen it anytime he buried
it in the mud or snow! He was an expert at rocking an
automatic transmission in the mud at what sounded like
almost full throttle!
The dealer brought HIM the cars; he never went to the
dealer's to look at them. He claimed the only thing he
insisted on was the "best tires in town" once. I was
just a kid at the time (he was an old man, now passed
away) and he's still the most interesting (weirdest and
most fun) person I ever worked for!

Sorry if you wanna be a ball buster; I thought it was
interesting. Flame away - if you wish - no skin off my
nose. Personally I enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

Pop

Me a ball buster? Neeeeever. But 50K/year sounded a tad unlikely and
I wanted to hear a bit more. Myself, I only put 3500 miles per year on
my car and any more than that seems like a lot (to me, anyway). Cool
story!

- Logic316

"Members of society must obey the law because they personally believe
that its commands are justified."
-- Judge David Bazelon - Questioning Authority: Justice and Criminal
Law