Pop

"Logic316" wrote in message
oups.com...
Pop wrote:
"Logic316" wrote in
message
=== I don't consider that frugal; I consider it
wasteful to buy a new mower when a spark plug
is
likely
all that's needed.
You sound like the cattle dealer I worked
for
as a
kid; he bought a brand new Cadillac every year,
paid
the diff each time in cash. He did that
because
he
wouldn't bother with maintenance on a car in
any
way.
The second owner got a great deal but they also
got a
car with 50,000 miles on the original showroom
oil.
His handy man kept the tires inflated and hosed
the mud
off periodically.

pop

Gee, that guy drove 50,000 miles per year? Yeah,
uh
huh.....

Not sure why you'd doubt that; it's pretty easy to
do,
especially for a cattle dealer. He drove everywhere
and drove fast and hard. I only personally the
speedometer on one of his traded cars once, and it
was
at 52,xxx miles. I asked to see it because the
dealer
said it was the highest mileage he'd evern seen on a
14
month old (I think that was it) car. I just
happened
to be buying a car at the time. Obviously, 50k has
+/-, but his cars were srot of a legend around here.
He'd drive from here to Chicago and then down to
Texas
and back without even thinking about it. This is
far
upstate NY, on the St. Lawrence River.
Guess I do have to admit that the mileage is only
that of the drive wheels; they're often a different
mileage than the other two g. I swear, he must
have
put ten miles on it once, just driving me the mile
it
took out across a freshly combined oat field to get
his workmen. It's amazing how smooth a caddy is in
an
oat field at 60 mph when it gets less hilly, know
that?
g. Oh! And you should have seen it anytime he
buried
it in the mud or snow! He was an expert at rocking
an
automatic transmission in the mud at what sounded
like
almost full throttle!
The dealer brought HIM the cars; he never went to
the
dealer's to look at them. He claimed the only thing
he
insisted on was the "best tires in town" once. I
was
just a kid at the time (he was an old man, now
passed
away) and he's still the most interesting (weirdest
and
most fun) person I ever worked for!

Sorry if you wanna be a ball buster; I thought it
was
interesting. Flame away - if you wish - no skin off
my
nose. Personally I enjoyed the trip down memory
lane.

Pop

Me a ball buster? Neeeeever. But 50K/year sounded a
tad unlikely and
I wanted to hear a bit more. Myself, I only put 3500
miles per year on
my car and any more than that seems like a lot (to
me, anyway). Cool
story!

- Logic316

"Members of society must obey the law because they
personally believe
that its commands are justified."
-- Judge David Bazelon - Questioning Authority:
Justice and Criminal
Law

Yeah, experience counts heavily in our lives, doesn't
it? We lived in Ca when we bought our first car, a
1968 Mustang/Shelby package Grand Touring California
Special for a whopping $3,200! As you may know, you
don't walk anywhere out there; you drive. In the first
three months we put 21,000 mies on it and the dealer
just loved us! And the cost of gas in those days was
negligible of course.
Then, the 4th month I was discharged from the Navy,
and we drove another 11,000 miles in getting from San
Diego up to LA and meandered across the states to our
home in far upstate NY. AFter vacationing awhile at
"home" we moved to Chgo where we'd then drive back home
four or five times a year, abt 750 miles on 90 and 8xx
if we took the Canadian way on the 401, which was
faster, but longer. It reached a hundred grand pretty
quick and being an apartment dweller we had no place
and no money to store it, so we traded it in on a
station wagon since we were starting our family. I've
kicked myself ever since for not bringing that car home
and just "parking" it somewhere in a field or barn or
something; never even thought of doing that back then!
Now we hit a lot less than 9,000 on the two cars we
have combined!!

Ain't life strange? I want my GTCS back! Never even
laid eyes on another one in this part of the country
and only once in Chgo. Memories ...

Pop