meirman

Default 18MM sparkplug for lawn mower?

Is it possible to get an 18MM spark plug for a lawn mower?

And does anyone have a brand/number for one?

The original plug was 14MM (a Champion RJ19LM) but it seems the
previous owner drilled out the hole and it is now about 18MM. (I hope
it is exactly 18mm, but I won't be able to tell until I buy a plug.)

The recommended 14MM plug has what I think is a short reach. The
threaded part of the plug is 3/8" long, and if one includes the
electrodes, the distance from underneath** the washer, past the
threaded part, to the end of the ground electrode is 1/2".

**Maybe the "reach" is measured from above the washer. If so, both
lengths should be 1/16 inch less.

I bought this Craftsman lawnmower second hand, and when I got home,
the mower looked even nicer than I thought, but had no spark plug. I
took plugs out of my two old mowers (which don't work or don't work
well) and the hole was too big for them. I went to Sears and all the
plugs they had for sale had the same size threads as the ones I had
tried, 1/2 inch in diameter, which I guess is 14MM.

I think the hole is 18MM now.

Thanks

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Jeff Wisnia

meirman wrote:
[...]

Similar thing happened to me when I purchased a used snowblower. Someone
had stripped the plug threads in the head, as I discovered when I tried
to start it up.

The most economical fix for me was to buy a new head, gasket and plug.
IIRC it cost me less than $15 for all. A helicoil kit or getting a
helicoil installed by a shop would have cost me more. G

Just my .02,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Jack Hunt

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:07:57 -0500, meirman
wrote:

I think the hole is 18MM now.

Someone has either drilled and tapped the hole for an old style Ford
18mm plug, or they have drilled and tapped the hole for a heli-coil
insert and the insert has somehow come out.

The best option is to remove the head and have it repaired or
replaced, using the correct spark plug.

--
Road Dog
IBA#12795
bumtracks

sounds like someone's already drilled and tapped for a HeliCoil and the
insert came out.
if you're friendly lawn mower mechanic won't loan you his tool kit and
sell you a $2 insert, you can probably rent the HeliCoil spark plug tool
kit. Hardware store sells a kit for $40 with a few different height
inserts.

My mower shop guy loaned me his full HeliCoil kit with a healthy cash
deposit and a promise to be right back. Free tips and tricks too.

"meirman" wrote in message
[...]

XS11E

meirman wrote in
:

Is it possible to get an 18MM spark plug for a lawn mower?

Of course it is. http://www.championsparkplugs.com/

Select "Search by Plug Construction" toward the bottom of the page.
The owner's manual or listing for the original plug will give you the
reach and heat range, look up the same or similar in an 18mm.

Note: Lawnmowers aren't real picky about heat range, just stay close to
the original.

Robert Barr

meirman wrote:

Is it possible to get an 18MM spark plug for a lawn mower?

And does anyone have a brand/number for one?

The original plug was 14MM (a Champion RJ19LM) but it seems the
previous owner drilled out the hole and it is now about 18MM. (I hope
it is exactly 18mm, but I won't be able to tell until I buy a plug.)

Just find a similar mower / engine on the curb on trash day, and
scavenge the head.
willshak

On 11/30/2004 6:20 PM US(ET), James Nipper took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

For the rest of us, what is a HeliCoil, and how does it work?

Thanks !!

--James--

http://www.roadstarmagazine.com/modu...rticle&sid=233
James Nipper

For the rest of us, what is a HeliCoil, and how does it work?

Thanks !!

--James--
James Nipper

Thanks for the link on the HeliCoil !!

Well, I learn something new every day !! Are these ususally available
in places like Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc ??

Thanks !!

--James--

Srgnt Billko

"meirman" wrote in message
Is it possible to get an 18MM spark plug for a lawn mower?

Sure - just go to your local NAPA store and ask them for an 18MM Champion.
Just make sure the length of the thread isn't longer than the thread on the
original plug so it doesn't hit the top of the piston. I use them in
tractors and I used to use them in my old snowmobiles.
Should be about $1.75.

And does anyone have a brand/number for one?

The original plug was 14MM (a Champion RJ19LM) but it seems the

Meirman

willshak

On 11/30/2004 8:59 PM US(ET), James Nipper took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

Thanks for the link on the HeliCoil !!

Well, I learn something new every day !! Are these ususally available
in places like Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc ??

Don't know. Haven't used one, or looked for one, in 40 some years.
Probably an automotive store, like 'Advance' or 'Autozone' would be better.

Thanks !!

--James--

Sportster4Eva

meirman wrote:

snippage
took plugs out of my two old mowers (which don't work or don't work
well) and the hole was too big for them. I went to Sears and all the
plugs they had for sale had the same size threads as the ones I had
tried, 1/2 inch in diameter, which I guess is 14MM.

Use the head from one of the other mowers if it the same brand of
engine. (and same or close horsepower rating.)
Just compare them while they're off to make sure they are not different.
You can probably even re-use the head gasket if you are careful taking
it apart..

--
Paul
'91 XL1200

Oscar_Lives

"meirman" wrote in message
[...]

Just weld it shut, then drill and re-tap the threads.

High Plains Thumper

"Oscar_Lives" wrote:
"meirman" wrote ...

I bought this Craftsman lawnmower second hand, and when I
got home, the mower looked even nicer than I thought, but
had no spark plug. I took plugs out of my two old mowers
(which don't work or don't work well) and the hole was too
big for them. I went to Sears and all the plugs they had
for sale had the same size threads as the ones I had
tried, 1/2 inch in diameter, which I guess is 14MM.

I think the hole is 18MM now.

Just weld it shut, then drill and re-tap the threads.

Um, he was looking for practical advice. Meirman, forget
Sears, go to an automotive parts place like Autozone or small
engine repairman. They should be able to help you.

- HPT
Oscar_Lives

"High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
"Oscar_Lives" wrote:
"meirman" wrote ...

I bought this Craftsman lawnmower second hand, and when I
got home, the mower looked even nicer than I thought, but
had no spark plug. I took plugs out of my two old mowers
(which don't work or don't work well) and the hole was too
big for them. I went to Sears and all the plugs they had
for sale had the same size threads as the ones I had
tried, 1/2 inch in diameter, which I guess is 14MM.

I think the hole is 18MM now.

Just weld it shut, then drill and re-tap the threads.

Um, he was looking for practical advice. Meirman, forget
Sears, go to an automotive parts place like Autozone or small
engine repairman. They should be able to help you.

- HPT

What's ****ing impractical about that? I do it all the time. Just weld it
shut and redrill. Use MIG or TIG, take your time to avoid voids (pun not
intended), then drill it and thread it. Use an end-mill to spotface the
seat for good seal.

piece of cake.

Ari Rankum

meirman wrote:
Is it possible to get an 18MM spark plug for a lawn mower?

And does anyone have a brand/number for one?

Here are some Autolite and Champion numbers and some specifications:

http://www.ramaircraft.com/Catalog/U...olightpg11.htm
High Plains Thumper

"Oscar_Lives" wrote:
"High Plains Thumper" wrote ...
"Oscar_Lives" wrote:
"meirman" wrote ...

[...]

Well, if you think about it, if you have access to a machine
shop with a MIG/TIG welder and milling machine or someone who
is competent and does, yes, could be a solution. However if
it is finding a small engine spark plug that will do the exact
same thing in a larger diameter, I'd think that would be the
easier way out.

- HPT
XS11E

High Plains Thumper wrote in
:

Well, if you think about it, if you have access to a machine
shop with a MIG/TIG welder and milling machine or someone who
is competent and does, yes, could be a solution. However if
it is finding a small engine spark plug that will do the exact
same thing in a larger diameter, I'd think that would be the
easier way out.

AFAIK, 18mm spark plugs are not particularly scarce, any other solution
seems to me to be more trouble than it's worth.

Ace Hardware carries them for small engines:

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-small-...fi-1305598_cp-
1254884.1255120.html
Joe Bobst

The small engine repairman would .... wait for it....

Weld it shut and then drill and re-tap the threads.

Any machine shop would simply install a Helicoil. Takes 10 minutes, the part is
$1.20. Done hundreds of them in everything from VW's to Mercedes. Simple.

Joe

High Plains Thumper

"Oscar_Lives" wrote:

Or just repair the old head!

Hey, while you got it off, that would be a great time to
mill it down and increase the compression for more power!

I've never seen a pimped lawn mower, may be a first!

- HPT

op4_camper

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
"Oscar_Lives" wrote:
"meirman" wrote ...

[...]

If hes asking for help on a newsgroup then theres no way he has the knowlege
or equipement to that.
So you think he has a Tig or mig wir with argon gas.
A bridgeport/cnc/knee mill.
A four flute center cutting mill.
A spot drill
A drill for the tap.
Let alone clamping it and indicting off of something to set zero.
All that for some crap old mower.

I work at a machine shop and I still wouldnt waste my time with what your
suggested.
I would use a 18mm plug. Actually I wouldnt waste my time on a
sears/craftsmen mower.
I would work a few hours ot and buy a new mower.

High Plains Thumper

"op4_camper" wrote:
"Oscar_Lives" wrote ...
HPT wrote:

Um, he was looking for practical advice. Meirman, forget
Sears, go to an automotive parts place like Autozone or
small engine repairman. They should be able to help you.

What's ****ing impractical about that? I do it all the
time. Just weld it shut and redrill. Use MIG or TIG,
take your time to avoid voids (pun not intended), then
drill it and thread it. Use an end-mill to spotface the
seat for good seal.

piece of cake.

If hes asking for help on a newsgroup then theres no way he
has the knowlege or equipement to that.
So you think he has a Tig or mig wir with argon gas.
A bridgeport/cnc/knee mill.
A four flute center cutting mill.
A spot drill
A drill for the tap.
Let alone clamping it and indicting off of something to set
zero. All that for some crap old mower.

I know what you are saying, I've worked in a machine shop and
operated a bridgeport milling machine. The cost alone for the
end mills were sufficiently high enough (and I am talking in a
1978 time frame) that he could buy a new mower.

I work at a machine shop and I still wouldnt waste my time
with what your suggested. I would use a 18mm plug. Actually
I wouldnt waste my time on a sears/craftsmen mower. I would
work a few hours ot and buy a new mower.

If someone can make a freebie mower work with a $2.50 plug,
then its a bargain. We bought Craftsman mower, but it was on
sale, self propelled with a Honda engine. It's done us good.
It's done so well and my wife enjoys using it, I let her mow
the grass. AFAIK, most mowers are made by Electrolux anyway.

- HPT