DeepDiver

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"Ignoramus23410" wrote in message
On 6 Jun 2005 12:44:34 -0700, Stretch wrote:

Your pump sounds`awful big at 1 HP.

it looks about right for a 1 HP motor, of the modern compact hot
running 3450 rpm variety.

It is described he

http://www.waynepumps.com/prodlist.asp?pcode=PLS100

I moved lots more water than that with a 1/2 HP shallow well pump.
A smaller pump with a bigger hose or more hoses is the way to go.
But since you already have the pump, I would use it till it croaks.
But I WOULD add a couple of hoses, within limits, the more water the
better. Put a manifold on the pump, connect all the hoses to the
manifold. Do the same on the suction so you don't starve the pump.

Yes, I will get a big hose. Maybe even 1.5" (reduced to 1" at inlet)
for incoming flow, and 1" for outflow. Will report my results tonight.

Here's an idea if you find that a larger (or multiple) hose(s) is/are
flowing too much water to the slide: add a T-valve or T-fitting and dump
some of the excess flow back to the pool (perhaps make it swirl the pool
water). That way, you aren't overworking the pump (by trying to force
water through a restricted hose) and you can control how much water goes
down the slide.

Well throw that idea in the trash. From the many well-informed posts on
centrifugal pumps, it seems that dumping excess flow back into the pool will
simply burn extra electricity (and perhaps your pump). So instead, you
should use a valve to regulate the amount of water to the slide.

- Michael

DeepDiver

"Ron" wrote in message

All swimming pools these days have multiple inlet openings in the pool so
that nobody can get any body orifices sealed directly to the suction of
the recirculation pump. Years ago there was a horrendous case where a
child sat on the single inlet opening in an improperly installed pool and
was disemboweled when the suction of the pump sucked her intestines from
her body.

PLEASE either put in a tee and use two suction hoses in the pool or drill
multiple holes in the first six inches or so of the suction hose. Kids are
likely to like the feel of the water flowing into that hose and accidents
can happen.

Now that Ron mentioned it, I too recall hearing the story about suction
disemboweling. Makes me shudder to think about it.

Even with two (or more) hoses, I'd still drill extra holes in the tubing to
prevent a water-tight seal from ever occurring. Otherwise, you'll just end
up with two (or more) injured/dead children, instead of one.

- Michael

G Henslee

Ignoramus10824 wrote:
BI want to thank everyone for your very helpful suggestions.
Yesterday's kids' pool party went rather well. Here are the pictures:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Water-Slide/

wow. That hurts my ass just lookin' at it. ;o)

--
Learn the Truth about Mormonism
http://www.eaec.org/cults/mormons.htm
DeepDiver

"Ignoramus10824" wrote in message
BI want to thank everyone for your very helpful suggestions.
Yesterday's kids' pool party went rather well. Here are the
pictures:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Water-Slide/

kids' faces have been edited out for privacy.

Kids loved the slide, even though it may look ridiculous for
adults.

Cool looking pool. I've seen round ones like that, but not a rectangular
one. Is it the kind that comes with it's own pump and filter? Would you mind
sharing where you bought it and approximately how much it cost? That plastic
slide is neat also. Was that designed for a playground set?

I hate to keep harping on safety issues but, even with the GFCI outlet,
seeing those electrical cords lying in a big puddle under the slide gives me
the willies! It would make much more sense to move the pump to a dry
location far from the pool and run longer hoses to and from it.

- Michael

DeepDiver

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:56:10 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:

I hate to keep harping on safety issues but, even with the GFCI outlet,
seeing those electrical cords lying in a big puddle under the slide gives
me
the willies! It would make much more sense to move the pump to a dry
location far from the pool and run longer hoses to and from it.

Thanks. I think that having those water hoses lying around and going
to the remote pump is also a hazard. What I will do is make sure that
cords are attached to the wooden structure and do not lie on the
ground. Thanks for a good safety reminder.

Which is more dangerous: tripping on a hose or getting electrocuted? The
GFCI is an emergency back-up: it should never be relied upon as a primary
defense against electrical shock. If you're really worried about the hoses,
make a small wood platform at the base of your slide's ladder and run the
hoses under them.

Besides, the children can trip on extension cords too.

- Michael

Stormin Mormon

Do you have any idea what a straight line that is?

"you shoulda blacked out your own face, you ugly...." but I'm way too polite
to write that.

What kind of body parts get sucked into the intake? I'm not sure I want to
know.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus10824" wrote in message
BI want to thank everyone for your very helpful suggestions.
Yesterday's kids' pool party went rather well. Here are the pictures:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Water-Slide/

kids' faces have been edited out for privacy.

Kids loved the slide, even though it may look ridiculous for
adults. They spent a couple of hours playing in water. It was about 95
degrees, and the water was about as warm as well due to constant
recirculation.

One thing I will do is add a tee or a cross on the intake side to
avoid injuries related to body parts sucked in. That was a big mistake
on my part not to do it, although I did cut some notches around the
intake opening.

There were no injuries around the pool, but one child bumped into
another on the swing, resulting in a blackeye.

Stormin Mormon

With what you wrote on your web site, it would be easy to tease you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus10824" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 01:53:50 GMT, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
Do you have any idea what a straight line that is?

"you shoulda blacked out your own face, you ugly...." but I'm way too

polite
to write that.

What kind of body parts get sucked into the intake? I'm not sure I want to
know.

I am sorry, what are you trying to say?

G Henslee

Stormin Mormon wrote:
With what you wrote on your web site, it would be easy to tease you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

You catch on quick.

--
"The Book of Mormon is chloroform in print" - Mark Twain
Bob

This brings to mind another question. Sump pumps are probably not designed
for use in water occupied by humans. There could be potential electrocution
risk. If this is what you have, at least make sure you have a GFI on the
power to the pump.

Bob

Bob

"Ignoramus30369" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:18:29 -0700, Bob wrote:
This brings to mind another question. Sump pumps are probably not

designed
for use in water occupied by humans. There could be potential

electrocution
risk. If this is what you have, at least make sure you have a GFI on the
power to the pump.

Thanks. What I have is a grounded 1 HP lawn sprinkler pump, which is
plugged into a GFCI protected receptacle:

http://waynepumps.com/prodlist.asp?pcode=PLS100

Pictures of my setup are at:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Water-Slide/

The sprinkler pump should have no problem with a garden hose on the output -
it's designed for that. A larger hose on the input might help avoid
cavitation damage but it is probably not a real problem.

Bob