Robert11

Default Flexible Gas Line Hose Question

Hello:

This is a question I asked more as an afterthought to another one I posted a
while
ago regarding the desireability of gas shut off valves in a residence.

But, I have started really thinking about it a bit, and would like to pose
it as it's own
question, as I feel I would like to know about it before doing any work on
the gas line valve installations
I am planning.

Regarding gas appliances like clothes dryers and gas stoves: is it
customary these days that they
be connected with a short length of flexible gas hose (not sure what the
right term is), or are they
still normally connected rigidly to the gas pipe like the house we are
moving into (about 25 yrs old) ?

Should I have them changed ?

Anything rigid like this tends to scare me; I cannot help but feel a
flexible hose
is a really good idea, but I really don't know how necessary, or desireable,
it is ?

BTW: what's a flexible gas line hose called ?
Is it safe ?

What certifications should it have ?

Thanks,
Bob

TURTLE

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

First check with your city inspector on gas flex hoses or you must have rigit
pipe hook ups. Check them out first.

Check you appliance hook ups and if they do have flex gas hose hook ups. If the
hoses are brass colored you must change them out to a grey plastic covered brass
or Stainless
steel. I use only Stainless Steal to hook up furnaces and heaters but the grey
brass cover ones are ok. Now I have never heard of any inspector turning down a
hard pipe hook up but one time on a moble home propane hook up on a propane
bottle but none on homes.

TURTLE

m Ransley

If they are old and possibly brass colored there have been quite a few
fires caused by them rotting out. Look into it, it is a real saftey
issue.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message
Regarding gas appliances like clothes dryers and gas stoves: is it
customary these days that they
be connected with a short length of flexible gas hose (not sure what the
right term is), or are they
still normally connected rigidly to the gas pipe like the house we are
moving into (about 25 yrs old) ?

Should I have them changed ?

Anything rigid like this tends to scare me; I cannot help but feel a
flexible hose
is a really good idea, but I really don't know how necessary, or
desireable, it is ?

Check your local codes.

At one time where I lived flex was not allowed (except for stoves) as over
time it would flex a lot from vibration and could leak. Tubing has improved
over the years and codes may have changed. OTOH, is some earthquake prone
regions I understand it is required to have flex. .

As for being scared, millions of homes and industries are hard piped with
gas. Explosions do happen, but are very rare.

Jerry Schwartz

I believe the copper flex tubing was specifically marked as not re-usable by
the manufacturer. The newer stuff might be re-usable, but for what it costs
I'd replace it when replacing the appliances.

--
Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
http://www.writebynight.com
e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/

George

"m Ransley" wrote in message
If they are old and possibly brass colored there have been quite a few
fires caused by them rotting out. Look into it, it is a real saftey
issue.

Yes, our local gas utility issued a mandatory replacement notice for those
maybe 3 or 4 years ago. They could also be enameled (some were grey) too.
They had to be replaced with SS flex lines and only SS is allowed to be
installed on new installations.

Computer power supply capacitors - generic question Sal Holland Electronics Repair 8 June 28th 04 10:08 PM
phone line noise hank Home Ownership 8 December 7th 03 09:02 PM
Slightly tricky plumbing question Andrew Koenig Home Ownership 3 November 6th 03 09:45 PM
sewer line replacement jeff Home Repair 11 September 2nd 03 02:17 AM