Bob

Default 1" flexible hose with threaded ends?

"Ignoramus6998" wrote in message
I made a water slide for my 4 year old today. I used a Wayne 1 HP pump
from Farm and Fleet, and their garden hose adapter.

The pump has openings for 1" pipe (1" NPT), and adapters for garden
hose, which is what I used.

I suspect that if I could use a 1" hose instead, I would greatly
improve water throughput and reduce load on the pump. The lift is only
about 2 feet. It may increase to maybe 4 feet if/when my son would
want a more exciting ride.

The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool. The kid, is, in
fact, absolutely thrilled and could be barely dragged away from the
water slide, crying.

So, my question is, where can I find garden hose-like flexible hose
threaded for 1" NPT? I only need one threaded end, preferably male but
could be female.

Any hardware store should have the hose and everything else. They sell the
hose by the foot. Then you just need a fitting with the 1" thread on on end
and a hose insert on the other end. Add a hose clamp and you're done.

Bob

Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus6998 wrote:
I made a water slide for my 4 year old today. I used a Wayne 1 HP pump
from Farm and Fleet, and their garden hose adapter.

The pump has openings for 1" pipe (1" NPT), and adapters for garden
hose, which is what I used.

I suspect that if I could use a 1" hose instead, I would greatly
improve water throughput and reduce load on the pump. The lift is only
about 2 feet. It may increase to maybe 4 feet if/when my son would
want a more exciting ride.

The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool. The kid, is, in
fact, absolutely thrilled and could be barely dragged away from the
water slide, crying.

So, my question is, where can I find garden hose-like flexible hose
threaded for 1" NPT? I only need one threaded end, preferably male but
could be female.

Thanks

Just a thought, but how about trying one of those "Y" adaptors that lets
you feed two garden hoses from one sillcock and running two pieces of
5/8" or 3/4" garden hose. Might be easier to move around than a 1" hose,
and you could easily make up the correct minimum hose lengths with some
female "repair couplers".

It'd also tell you if your theory about more lift with less flow
restriction will get you what you're looking for.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

G Henslee

Ignoramus6998 wrote:
I made a water slide for my 4 year old today.

The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool.

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.
Lane

[...]

Just get the adaptor that goes from garden hose thread to 1" NPT. I've
bought from Lowes/HomeDepot and used them before.

Lane

G Henslee

Ignoramus6998 wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 13:18:19 -0700, G Henslee wrote:

Ignoramus6998 wrote:

I made a water slide for my 4 year old today.

The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool.

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.

It is all installed on a concrete covered area.

Well concrete underneath should be real 'forgiving' on human bones,
skulls, etc.

May I ask, how you came about that identity?

Errol Groff

So what. The grass can always be replanted but a kid is only little
once and years from now might well remember how his Dad made him a
water slide when he was little.

I am occassionally amazed at things my kids (now 38 and 37) remember
from their childhood. Things that I either don't remember or did not
make a great impression on me at the time. But they remember.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

wrote:

Ignoramus6998 wrote:
I made a water slide for my 4 year old today.

The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool.

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.

Greg O

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Ignoramus6998 wrote:
I made a water slide for my 4 year old today. The setup recirculates
water in an inflatable pool.

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.

So what? Grass seed is cheap!
In 15 years the kid will be gone and then you can watch the grass grow all
you want!
Greg

ATP*

[...]

Do you have GFI protection on the pump and some type of impact absorbing
material in the fall zone? AFA the hose, Home Despot has adapters you could
use with a combination of poly and vinyl tubing.

DeepDiver

wrote:

Ignoramus6998 wrote:

I made a water slide for my 4 year old today.

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.

So what. The grass can always be replanted but a kid is only little
once and years from now might well remember how his Dad made him a
water slide when he was little.

Not to mention that most amusement parks are now overrun by gangs, thugs,
and punks. (And with the water parks, you have to be concerned with either
communicable diseases, or sickeningly-high levels of disinfecting
chemicals.)

As a child in the sixties, I remember visiting Disneyland and how polite and
well-mannered everyone was -- both staff and visitors. I still have photos
from those days to remind me of a time when people were courteous and
dressed appropriately, and when public spaces were dominated (and
behaviorally-regulated) by families and responsible adults.

These days, visiting an amusement park is like venturing into an urban
ghetto: gangs roam in packs and do what they want, cutting in lines, pushing
people around, etc. The language one hears is x-rated, as is much of the
attire. Very few adults are to be seen and even fewer whole families. Little
kids, who've never been told "No!" by their typically-absent parent, run
wild and completely disregard the staff and adults. Of course, the staff are
mostly teens who couldn't give a damn anyway.

It's sad, but I'll probably never be able to take my young children to an
amusement park.

- Michael

Warren Weber

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:50:43 -0400, ATP* wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is installed on GF protected outlet.

and some type of impact absorbing material in the fall zone? AFA the
hose, Home Despot has adapters you could use with a combination of
poly and vinyl tubing.

Thanks for the concern, the "slide" only falls about 2-3 feet. It is
not steep. I initially made it about 5" tall, but had to change to
about 2-3 feet as my son was afraid of such height and quick entry
into water. Whatever, it is for him anyway.

I hope that child remembers how good of Dad he has when he becomes a
teenager. W W

ATP*

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message
.. .
G Henslee wrote:
Ignoramus6998 wrote:
I made a water slide for my 4 year old today.

The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool.

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.

Jeez, you sound like my (childless) Aunt. Does anybody with little
kids actually have time for a nice lawn?

I'm childless, too - my lawn is imperfect because I'm laz^H^H^H
attuned to nature. Yeah, that's the ticket, I'm attuned to nature.

I guess I had a warped childhood. We thought that "lawns" were for
old people. We thought that "the grass" was for walking on and
playing on, not for admiring. Good place to pick nightcrawlers on
rainy nights, too. Actually, even "the grass" was a misnomer, unless
your definition of grass includes dandelions, crabgrass, plantain,
violets, clover and lord knows what else.

I don't worry about damage to small areas of the lawn. But I find if I keep
it healthy, well fed, aerated and cut it frequently it makes a nicer
playing/practice field for my six year olds. When they graduate from Power
Wheels and T-ball it's going to be a much bigger challenge to keep the grass
alive.

Brian Lawson

Hey Iggy,

Great idea for the kids. Anyway, why not buy a "hose barb" with 1"
NPT thread, the correct size of clamp and as many feet of that black
PVC water pipe tube to fit the barb. They come in both galvanized and
nylon(??) and available at most hardware, and all lawn
sprinkler-system places at fairly reasonable prices.

Whudja make the "slide" out of?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On 5 Jun 2005 19:37:32 GMT, Ignoramus6998
wrote:

I made a water slide for my 4 year old today. I used a Wayne 1 HP pump
from Farm and Fleet, and their garden hose adapter.

The pump has openings for 1" pipe (1" NPT), and adapters for garden
hose, which is what I used.

I suspect that if I could use a 1" hose instead, I would greatly
improve water throughput and reduce load on the pump. The lift is only
about 2 feet. It may increase to maybe 4 feet if/when my son would
want a more exciting ride.

The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool. The kid, is, in
fact, absolutely thrilled and could be barely dragged away from the
water slide, crying.

So, my question is, where can I find garden hose-like flexible hose
threaded for 1" NPT? I only need one threaded end, preferably male but
could be female.

Thanks

DeepDiver

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 21:12:12 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:

These days, visiting an amusement park is like venturing into an urban
ghetto: gangs roam in packs and do what they want, cutting in lines,
pushing
people around, etc. The language one hears is x-rated, as is much of the
attire. Very few adults are to be seen and even fewer whole families.
Little
kids, who've never been told "No!" by their typically-absent parent, run
wild and completely disregard the staff and adults. Of course, the staff
are
mostly teens who couldn't give a damn anyway.

We live in a pretty nice town, so your description may not apply, but
other considerations make home water slide quite worthwhile.

I am describing the major amusement parks, all of which are located near
large cities (because that's where the customer base--and revenue--is
located): Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Great America, Marine World, etc.

Small town parks may have better clientele, but probably don't have the
big-budget rides.

- Michael

DeepDiver

"Ignoramus6998" wrote in message

Thanks for the concern, the "slide" only falls about 2-3 feet.

I don't want to "nanny" you, but you do know that a 2-3 foot fall onto
concrete is nothing to ignore, especially for a little one, right?

Btw, I'm sure many of us would like to see photos of your project. Did you
make the ramp out of wood?

- Michael

DeepDiver

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 23:05:57 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:
"Ignoramus6998" wrote in message

Thanks for the concern, the "slide" only falls about 2-3 feet.

I don't want to "nanny" you, but you do know that a 2-3 foot fall onto
concrete is nothing to ignore, especially for a little one, right?

Yes, but, I think, it is relatively safe. The ramp is sensibly (I
think) made, I did not paint or varnish the wood.

So how did you make it waterproof (and -- perhaps more importantly for
hands, feet, and tender "bums" -- splinter-free)? Do you have a plastic
overlay?

DeepDiver

"Ignoramus6998" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 18:47:04 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Whudja make the "slide" out of?

I just bought the slide at Home Depot. It is a plastic slide for
playgrounds.

Ahh... that explains the slide part. I'd still want to put a coat of spar
urethane on the wood parts to control splinters. Steps should also have some
form of non-skid (but not the sand-paper kind that might skin knees). Hand
rails should also be essential.

- Michael

HorneTD

Ignoramus6998 wrote:
I made a water slide for my 4 year old today. I used a Wayne 1 HP pump
from Farm and Fleet, and their garden hose adapter.

The pump has openings for 1" pipe (1" NPT), and adapters for garden
hose, which is what I used.

I suspect that if I could use a 1" hose instead, I would greatly
improve water throughput and reduce load on the pump. The lift is only
about 2 feet. It may increase to maybe 4 feet if/when my son would
want a more exciting ride.

The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool. The kid, is, in
fact, absolutely thrilled and could be barely dragged away from the
water slide, crying.

So, my question is, where can I find garden hose-like flexible hose
threaded for 1" NPT? I only need one threaded end, preferably male but
could be female.

Thanks

Buy a section of old one inch forestry fire hose on Ebay they even come
with one inch national pipe straight hose thread couplings. If you have
to have non collapsible hose then you can buy one inch hose at
industrial cleaning supply houses. Grainger sells it but the price is
$147.50 for a fifty foot length.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.
Rick

[...]

As others have mentioned, Home Depot or Lowes should have the plastic
barb and vinyl hose. I would imagine a swimming pool supply house
would have something similar...

Sylvan Butler

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 18:23:42 -0400, ATP* wrote:
it healthy, well fed, aerated and cut it frequently it makes a nicer
playing/practice field for my six year olds. When they graduate from Power
Wheels and T-ball it's going to be a much bigger challenge to keep the grass

You have no idea...

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
lionslair at consolidated dot net

wrote:

Ignoramus6998 wrote:

I made a water slide for my 4 year old today.

The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool.

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.

Errol has it again.

I fully remember many many things when I was 2 and 3 years old. By the time I was 4,
my mind and fun was full of it. Remember neighbors and their lives/stories, remember
the workshop and the machines of our boarders - machinists working for the Air force living
off base with us. We had a 12 car 'shop'. It was a city home for off season of a remote
farmer/rancher. The large shop allowed 'him' to work on his machines, the attic of the shop
was the boarding house for some of his workmen while the lady of the house got to visit with
others in town and shop. We bought the house when I was 2 and remember so much there.

So early memories are often kept. Some are most precious. Enjoy what you have when you can.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

DeepDiver

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 00:25:37 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:

Ahh... that explains the slide part. I'd still want to put a coat of
spar urethane on the wood parts to control splinters.

I do have urethane, I was concerned that it would become slippery.
I do not have a non-skid powder.

You don't need to buy non-skid powder. Ordinary beach or playground sand,
sprinkled on the surface of the tacky final coat of urathane would work just
as well.

But the problem with any rough, non-skid traction surface, whether it be
sand or commerical non-skid granuals, is that it can abrade the skin if
rubbed against.

Perhaps a better solution would be to buy some ribbed rubber sheet (like the
kind used for hallway runners) and stretch it over the steps with the ribs
running perpendicular to the direction of travel (along the long axis of the
step). I think the black rubber style is softer and will provide more
traction than the clear vinyl style. My local Orchard Supply Hardware sells
both by the foot off of bulk rolls.

Hand rails should also be essential.

There is a total of 2 steps, and then the platform.

Still, handrails will provide something to hold on to when the feet are
slippery. Plus they prevent falling off the side onto the cement. Plus they
teach children good safety habits (holding onto rails while climbing steps).
Finally, they will be absolutely necessary once your child is brave enough
for you to raise the platform to four feet or higher.

Just my thoughts.

- Michael

Shawn

"Ignoramus6998" wrote in message
I made a water slide for my 4 year old today. I used a Wayne 1 HP pump
from Farm and Fleet, and their garden hose adapter.

The pump has openings for 1" pipe (1" NPT), and adapters for garden
hose, which is what I used.

I suspect that if I could use a 1" hose instead, I would greatly
improve water throughput and reduce load on the pump. The lift is only
about 2 feet. It may increase to maybe 4 feet if/when my son would
want a more exciting ride.

Increasing water throughput will actually cause the pump to work harder.

Shawn

Stormin Mormon

I've seen that kind of thing in Northern Tools. It's called sump discharge
hose. They make an assortment of sizes. Can also be irrigation hose.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

JohnM

Ignoramus6998 wrote:

I made a water slide for my 4 year old today.
The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool.

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.

It is all installed on a concrete covered area.

Well concrete underneath should be real 'forgiving' on human bones,
skulls, etc.

May I ask, how you came about that identity?

Heh.. that's pretty funny. A little cold, but funny anyway.

John
Duane Bozarth

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've seen that kind of thing in Northern Tools. It's called sump discharge
hose. They make an assortment of sizes. Can also be irrigation hose.

Also almost any farm supply will have a multitude of assorted types for
water, fuel, fertilizer/spray applications and a "veritable plethora" of
fittings if you don't find what you're looking for elsewhere...

woodworker88

You don't want actual 1" hose with threaded ends. Buy a kit sold for
installing sump pumps. It has the 1" hose and the barbed nipples and
hose clamps. This is definately the way to go for any sump pump. I
have three in different areas of my yard and all have this upgrade. On
volume, I used a 1/4 HP sump pump with 30' of 1" hose to empty a 60,000
gallon swimming pool in 12 hours. That's with 18 feet of head (the
pump is 18 feet below the output of the hose)!

Duane Bozarth

Ignoramus23410 wrote:

On 6 Jun 2005 08:47:27 -0700, woodworker88 wrote:
You don't want actual 1" hose with threaded ends. Buy a kit sold for
installing sump pumps. It has the 1" hose and the barbed nipples and
hose clamps. This is definately the way to go for any sump pump. I
have three in different areas of my yard and all have this upgrade. On
volume, I used a 1/4 HP sump pump with 30' of 1" hose to empty a 60,000
gallon swimming pool in 12 hours. That's with 18 feet of head (the
pump is 18 feet below the output of the hose)!

Thanks to you and everyone else for good ideas.

I called Wayne pumps. The lady on the phone was very helpful.

She said that definitely I should switch to 1" hose instead of my 5/8"
garden hose. It would make the pump pump much more water and it would
work less hard.

She also said that as far as life expectancy goes, if I used it for a
few hours every day, it would last a couple of years. I expect it to
be used perhaps 30 minutes per day for a small part of the year, so it
will, hopefully, last enough. Heck, even one year will make it
worthwhile.

We are inviting several other children tomorrow to have some water
fun.

Reducing inlet restriction will help although you may not get the extra
flow you're hoping for if your actual feed supply is limiting...what
size spigot/supply line do you have?
DeepDiver

"Ignoramus23410" wrote in message

We are inviting several other children tomorrow to have some
water fun.

I hate to have to say this, but such are the times we live in....

I hope your homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance has healthy
liability coverage. You might want to call them and confirm the limits and
restrictions on your policy.

- Michael

G Henslee

JohnM wrote:

Ignoramus6998 wrote:

I made a water slide for my 4 year old today.
The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool.

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.

It is all installed on a concrete covered area.

Well concrete underneath should be real 'forgiving' on human bones,
skulls, etc.

May I ask, how you came about that identity?

Heh.. that's pretty funny. A little cold, but funny anyway.

John

Ahh, just yanking his chain a little. I hope nuthin happens to the
little guy and he has a ball with that water slide.
Stretch

Your pump sounds`awful big at 1 HP. I moved lots more water than that
with a 1/2 HP shallow well pump. A smaller pump with a bigger hose or
more hoses is the way to go. But since you already have the pump, I
would use it till it croaks. But I WOULD add a couple of hoses, within
limits, the more water the better. Put a manifold on the pump, connect
all the hoses to the manifold. Do the same on the suction so you don't
starve the pump.

Stretch

DeepDiver

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:16:25 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:
"Ignoramus23410" wrote in message

We are inviting several other children tomorrow to have some
water fun.

I hate to have to say this, but such are the times we live in....

I hope your homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance has healthy
liability coverage. You might want to call them and confirm the limits
and
restrictions on your policy.

I checked with my insurance agent. They do not have any exclusions for
pools. If something unexpectedly happens, we'll be covered. They will
fax me a summary of my insurance and will mail me the brochure with
the full policy.

I do not expect big trouble tomorrow, because the kids are big enough
not to drown in that very shallow pool, the pool is soft and the slide
is low. But you are right, it pays to be careful.

In these days of greedy tort lawyers (and their plaintiffs) looking for
"jackpot" lawsuits, one must be very, very careful.

My concern is not just the pool but also the slide. A kid could fall or slip
or twist a joint, etc. You might want to call back your insurance agent and
tell them about your homemade slide (since it's not a commercially-produced
item). Just to be sure that it isn't excluded.

I hate having to even think about this stuff. What happened to the good ole'
days when, through the power of common sense, people knew that life wasn't
perfect?

- Michael

DeepDiver

On 6 Jun 2005 12:44:34 -0700, Stretch wrote:

Your pump sounds`awful big at 1 HP.

it looks about right for a 1 HP motor, of the modern compact hot
running 3450 rpm variety.

It is described he

http://www.waynepumps.com/prodlist.asp?pcode=PLS100

I moved lots more water than that with a 1/2 HP shallow well pump.
A smaller pump with a bigger hose or more hoses is the way to go.
But since you already have the pump, I would use it till it croaks.
But I WOULD add a couple of hoses, within limits, the more water the
better. Put a manifold on the pump, connect all the hoses to the
manifold. Do the same on the suction so you don't starve the pump.

Yes, I will get a big hose. Maybe even 1.5" (reduced to 1" at inlet)
for incoming flow, and 1" for outflow. Will report my results tonight.

Here's an idea if you find that a larger (or multiple) hose(s) is/are
flowing too much water to the slide: add a T-valve or T-fitting and dump
some of the excess flow back to the pool (perhaps make it swirl the pool
water). That way, you aren't overworking the pump (by trying to force water
through a restricted hose) and you can control how much water goes down the
slide.

- Michael

BillP

SNIP

If the pump is flowing more water then it is doing more work, therefore it
will be drawing more current leading to a hotter running motor. Use a clamp
on ammeter to see what it draws now and also what it draws with the 1" hose
installed. I don't gamble much, but I would bet on this one.

Shawn

Shawn, if the pump is working against a restriction in the line (5/8"
hose in this case,) and is designed for 1" output, then it's sure
working hard against that restriction. Opening up the orfice (to what
it was more or less designed to do) might well drop the amperage use as
it won't have to work as hard to move more water through a less
restrictive aperture.....

Bill in Phx.Az.
Shawn

"Ignoramus23410" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:50:40 -0500, Duane Bozarth

wrote:
Ignoramus23410 wrote:

My main interest here is not even the increased flow -- the current
throughput is adequate -- but mainly reducing the load on the
motor. It gets quite warm during operation. The extra flow will be
merely a bonus.

If the pump is flowing more water then it is doing more work, therefore it
will be drawing more current leading to a hotter running motor. Use a clamp
on ammeter to see what it draws now and also what it draws with the 1" hose
installed. I don't gamble much, but I would bet on this one.

Shawn

JohnM

G Henslee wrote:
JohnM wrote:

wrote:

Ignoramus6998 wrote:

I made a water slide for my 4 year old today.
The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool.

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.

It is all installed on a concrete covered area.

Well concrete underneath should be real 'forgiving' on human bones,
skulls, etc.

May I ask, how you came about that identity?

Heh.. that's pretty funny. A little cold, but funny anyway.

John

Ahh, just yanking his chain a little. I hope nuthin happens to the
little guy and he has a ball with that water slide.

Yeah, it was still pretty funny, just the thing for that moment.

Dale Scroggins

wrote:

Ignoramus23410 wrote:

My main interest here is not even the increased flow -- the current
throughput is adequate -- but mainly reducing the load on the
motor. It gets quite warm during operation. The extra flow will be
merely a bonus.

If the pump is flowing more water then it is doing more work, therefore it
will be drawing more current leading to a hotter running motor. Use a clamp
on ammeter to see what it draws now and also what it draws with the 1" hose
installed. I don't gamble much, but I would bet on this one.

Try this exercise. Take a drinking straw and try to breathe through
it. You will find it difficult and you will spend much energy getting
a little bit of air through.

Then take a 1" ID pipe and try breathing through that.

Your throughput will be much greater but you will work LESS.

Same applies to a pump. Working against restriction wastes energy and
reduces flow.

In fact, I installed new hoses, reinforced plastic type, tonight. The
flow increased at least twice.

Apples and oranges. Your lungs operate as a positive displacement pump.
Your water pump is (I will bet) a centrifugal pump. Like a vacuum
cleaner.

Try this exercise. Turn on your shop-vac. Listen to the motor pitch.
Block the suction. Listen to the motor pitch.

If you measured the current, you would also notice that your vacuum
draws less current with the intake blocked. So does your centrifugal
water pump. Block the suction side of the pump and listen.

To lots of folks, this characteristic of centrifugal pumps is
counterintuitive. But it still is fact, counterintuitive or not.

Dale Scroggins
Rick

"Ignoramus23410" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 00:25:11 -0400, Shawn shawn_75ATcomcastDOTnet

wrote:

"Ignoramus23410" wrote in

message

wrote:
Ignoramus23410 wrote:

[...]

Of course it did-but if it's a centrifugal pump, increasing the outlet
restriction (reducing the flow) decreases the horsepower
requirement....

Pete Keillor

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:02:15 -0700, BillP wrote:

SNIP

If the pump is flowing more water then it is doing more work, therefore it
will be drawing more current leading to a hotter running motor. Use a clamp
on ammeter to see what it draws now and also what it draws with the 1" hose
installed. I don't gamble much, but I would bet on this one.

Shawn

Shawn, if the pump is working against a restriction in the line (5/8"
hose in this case,) and is designed for 1" output, then it's sure
working hard against that restriction. Opening up the orfice (to what
it was more or less designed to do) might well drop the amperage use as
it won't have to work as hard to move more water through a less
restrictive aperture.....

Bill in Phx.Az.

Shawn's right on this one, as long as it's a centrifugal or constant
head pump. The pressure put up is nearly constant. Work and amps are
related to throughput. Look at a pump curve.

This doesn't hold for "positive" displacement pumps. Throughput will
be fairly constant, restricting the output will increase the pressure
in the pump, and draw more amps. Restrict it enough and you may open
a relief, either designed or otherwise.

Pete Keillor
Robert Nichols

In article ,
Dale Scroggins wrote:
:
:Apples and oranges. Your lungs operate as a positive displacement pump.
: Your water pump is (I will bet) a centrifugal pump. Like a vacuum
:cleaner.
:
:Try this exercise. Turn on your shop-vac. Listen to the motor pitch.
:Block the suction. Listen to the motor pitch.
:
:If you measured the current, you would also notice that your vacuum
:draws less current with the intake blocked. So does your centrifugal
:water pump. Block the suction side of the pump and listen.
:
:To lots of folks, this characteristic of centrifugal pumps is
:counterintuitive. But it still is fact, counterintuitive or not.

Absolutely! A centrifugal pump is, approximately, a constant pressure
device, that pressure being determined by the density of the fluid and
the RPM and geometry of the pump. It does minimum work at zero flow
(total restriction) and maximum work when the flow is unrestricted and
the pump is accelerating large volumes of fluid to the speed of the
outer rim of the rotor.

I've burned out the starting relay on a sump pump by operating the pump
without sufficient restriction on its output. Reducing the diameter of
the discharge line from 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" solved the problem and brought
the current draw of the motor down within spec. I also have an old 1/4
HP belt-driven blower taken out of an old home heating furnace. It ran
for many years pushing air against the restriction of the ductwork.
When run without that restriction as an exhaust blower, the motor
couldn't get off the starting winding until I changed the pulleys to
reduce the blower RPM.

For a centrifugal pump, more restriction results in less work for the
pump.

--
Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"
ATP*

"Dale Scroggins" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

Ignoramus23410 wrote:

[...]

Dale is right. Same principle applies to most air handlers.