Default Cedar Shingle roof question

I have an unheated porch area and I would like to cover the roof with
cedar shingle. I am told that for a roof the shingles should be exposed
7" only, and that they should be installed over slats so that air can
flow underneath the shingle.

What's on the roof now is tarpaper over 1x12 wood roof boards.
Can I install the cedar shingle directly over 1x12 boards? I would
remove the tarpaper, nail the shingles directly to the board with
7" exposure, and afterwards cover the shingles with Thompson's wood
sealer.

I have build a shed roof like this 5 years ago and the shingles seem
to be holding out fine, so I'm not sure if it is absolutely necessary
to have the air space under the roof shingle. The shingles are
expensive
and I would not want them to fail after 5 years. Thanks,

--
Jeff

tom

Jeff wrote: I have an unheated porch area and I would like to cover the
roof with
cedar shingle. I am told that for a roof the shingles should be exposed

7" only, and that they should be installed over slats so that air can
flow underneath the shingle.

What's on the roof now is tarpaper over 1x12 wood roof boards.
Can I install the cedar shingle directly over 1x12 boards? I would
remove the tarpaper, nail the shingles directly to the board with
7" exposure, and afterwards cover the shingles with Thompson's wood
sealer.

I have build a shed roof like this 5 years ago and the shingles seem
to be holding out fine, so I'm not sure if it is absolutely necessary
to have the air space under the roof shingle. The shingles are
expensive
and I would not want them to fail after 5 years. Thanks,

You could leave the tarpaper. Matter of fact, I'd install new paper,
and I'm not sure about your exposure to the weather of 7 inches. I've
always gone with 5 inches to the weather with cedar shingles. The
smooth, machine cut type. Tom

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message
oups.com...

I have an unheated porch area and I would like to cover the roof with
cedar shingle. I am told that for a roof the shingles should be exposed
7" only, and that they should be installed over slats so that air can
flow underneath the shingle.

What's on the roof now is tarpaper over 1x12 wood roof boards.
Can I install the cedar shingle directly over 1x12 boards? I would
remove the tarpaper, nail the shingles directly to the board with
7" exposure, and afterwards cover the shingles with Thompson's wood
sealer.

I have build a shed roof like this 5 years ago and the shingles seem
to be holding out fine, so I'm not sure if it is absolutely necessary
to have the air space under the roof shingle. The shingles are
expensive
and I would not want them to fail after 5 years. Thanks,

Cedar shakes are installed over plywood with tar paper in between all the
time up here in the Pacific Northwest--there's 40 squares of em on our house
that so far as I know were installed in 1962 and they're still holding up
just fine.

Now, these aren't shingles.....mind you they're shakes--and there is a
definite difference...and nobody in his right mind would even consider
installing cedar shingles on a roof, at least not around here.

--

SVL

Duane Bozarth

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
Now, these aren't shingles.....mind you they're shakes--and there is a
definite difference...and nobody in his right mind would even consider
installing cedar shingles on a roof, at least not around here.

Don't see why not...the 3/8" "juniors" that I just replaced on the barn
had been there over fifty years. The roof was essentially leak-tight
until only about the last 10 or so when Dad had decided he was old
enough he wasn't going to repair it any longer...

That's for the old system of open decking roof w/ no paper--I used 1/2"
shakes and wish had the shingles but they made me a deal on the price
and I bit off on it. The shingles lay flatter for this type
application. It's rain-tight, but more dry snow blow-in than w/ the
shingles.

Anyhow, don't see a reason for blanket negation of roofing
shingles--they were probably the most common choice for hundred years or
more...
PrecisionMachinisT

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the answer lies simply in the availability of cedar in my area
then--if I really wanted to, I could easily knock over a couple trees and
split shakes myself onsite.

--

SVL

Harry Everhart

My house in PA had cedar shakes on it for 30 years. I put each one on
myself when I was a kid. When we took them off in 2003 - except for the
weathered color - they were just as good as when I put them on. Also the
galvanized nails I used to mount them were still solid. There was lots
of evidence of insect life under the shingles - old nests - piles of
debris.

Harry
tom

PrecisionMachinisT wrote: Now, these aren't shingles.....mind you
they're shakes--and there is a
definite difference...and nobody in his right mind would even consider
installing cedar shingles on a roof, at least not around here.

Where in the OP's message did you read "shakes"? Tom

tom

PrecisionMachinisT wrote: Now, these aren't shingles.....mind you
they're shakes--and there is a
definite difference...and nobody in his right mind would even consider
installing cedar shingles on a roof, at least not around here.

Where in the OP's message did you read "shakes"? He recieved an
excellent reply in alt.building.construction, however. Tom

PrecisionMachinisT

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
PrecisionMachinisT wrote: Now, these aren't shingles.....mind you
they're shakes--and there is a
definite difference...and nobody in his right mind would even consider
installing cedar shingles on a roof, at least not around here.

Where in the OP's message did you read "shakes"? Tom

Tom,

Your mistaken, I didn't "read" shakes, and that should have beeen quite
clear to anyone except an utter moron of a troll.

I mentioned "shakes" because folks do quite often get the two
confused....add that to the that FACT shingles are virtually NEVER used as
roofing in my area and it seemed likely he was perhaps one of those confused
folks.

Also, around here, "shingles" are indeed sometimes used as siding, but they
are virtually ALWAYS applied onto a more or less solid underlayment rather
than onto "slats"...while on older barns, homes and what-not having shake
roofs, they are usually in fact typically found having been laid onto 1x 4
or 1x 6 slats.

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...

He recieved an excellent reply in alt.building.construction, however.

Tom,

Too cool, man....

Lets all give them folks over there in alt.building.construction a BIG round
of applause !!!

--

SVL

tom

PrecisionMachinisT wrote: Your (sic) mistaken, I didn't "read" shakes,
and that should have beeen quite
clear to anyone except an utter moron of a troll.

I'll let that one slide...

I mentioned "shakes" because folks do quite often get
the two
confused....add that to the that FACT shingles are virtually NEVER used
as
roofing in my area and it seemed likely he was perhaps one of those
confused
folks.
True, the terms are often mistakenly
interchanged by laypersons .

Also, around here, "shingles" are indeed sometimes used as siding, but
they
are virtually ALWAYS applied onto a more or less solid underlayment
rather
than onto "slats"...while on older barns, homes and what-not having
shake
roofs, they are usually in fact typically found having been laid onto
1x 4
or 1x 6 slats.

Yeah, I roofed for 20 years...Does the OP live near you? I'm getting a
distinct East coast feel from "Dynamo". Let's ask him! Hey, Dynamo,
what are they, shingles or shakes?

PrecisionMachinisT

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...

Yeah, I roofed for 20 years...Does the OP live near you? I'm getting a
distinct East coast feel from "Dynamo". Let's ask him! Hey, Dynamo,
what are they, shingles or shakes?

No idea where he lives........also, Ive no idea what a 1 x 12 "roof board"
might be, either.

But agreed, lets ask him.......

To Dynamo :

FWIW :

Shakes are still split, and in addition, nowadays they're usually sawn at an
angle part way through lengthwise in order to make the tapered end, the
"split" exposed area showing clearly on the both the top and underside when
they're installed and viewed from the "butt" end.....each piece that's split
off from the bolt makes 2 individual shakes....also, the butt end is fairly
thick, ranging from 3/4 up to perhaps 1-1/2 inches thickness.

Shingle aren't split at all, but instead they are entirely bandsawn, and saw
marks will be visable on all surfaces--but note that there also is a variant
that's called a "rake shingle"--this looks similar to a shake, in that the
exposed side appears to be split....but on closer investigation what you
notice is that the grooves are machine-milled in order to make them appear
more like a shake. Also, shingles are thinner than shakes, doubtful there's
any shingles on the market that exceed 3/8 inches thickness at the butt end.

--

SVL

tom

PrecisionMachinisT wrote: No idea where he lives........also, Ive no
idea what a 1 x 12 "roof board"
might be, either.

Well, we always
called 'em "scabboards", typically a lot of wane left on them,
definitely utility grade. Tom

hi folks

I live in Vermont. The southern, balmy part of the state.
And I plan on using perfection blue 18" SHINGLES on the porch
roof, not shakes. The 1 by 12 roof board is simply rough cut
1x12 pine planks from the local mill which I used for roof decking
instead of plywood, to achieve a nice look when the roof is viewed
from underneath. My plan was to put #30 felt paper and nail the
shingles directly over that. I am told though that the shingles need
to breathe, and since I don't have spaces between the roof
boards, I should really install a product called "Cedar Breather"
which is like a plastic mesh which goes right underneath the
shingles. This complicates things for me like flashing, and besides
the cedar breather product is expensive, so I'd like to skip that
step. thanks,

--
dynamorph

Michael Nickolas

I'm doing cedar shakes (18" Number 1 red cedar) on my Mansard style
roof. Started last weekend. I'm following the guidelines as published
by the Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau in their Roof Construction
Manual available at www.cedarbureau.org.

The manual describes different installation techniques depending on if
you are using shakes or shingles. Shakes are described as being put on
using an "interleave" of felt paper, which is not recommended for
shingles.

Anyway, there is tons of information in the manual and on the website.
You could probably get all your questions answered over there!

Michael Nickolas
www.studionineproductions.com

tom

Jeff wrote: hi folks

I live in Vermont. The southern, balmy part of the state.
And I plan on using perfection blue 18" SHINGLES on the porch
roof, not shakes. The 1 by 12 roof board is simply rough cut
1x12 pine planks from the local mill which I used for roof decking
instead of plywood, to achieve a nice look when the roof is viewed
from underneath. My plan was to put #30 felt paper and nail the
shingles directly over that. I am told though that the shingles need
to breathe, and since I don't have spaces between the roof
boards, I should really install a product called "Cedar Breather"
which is like a plastic mesh which goes right underneath the
shingles. This complicates things for me like flashing, and besides
the cedar breather product is expensive, so I'd like to skip that
step. thanks,

--
dynamorph

You may skip that step. You never mentioned the pitch of the roof. Tom

Michael Nickolas

My plan was to put #30 felt paper and nail the
shingles directly over that. I am told though that the shingles need
to breathe, and since I don't have spaces between the roof
boards, I should really install a product called "Cedar Breather"

General shingle guidelines can be view he

http://www.cedarbureau.org/techinfo/...lsshingles.htm

It basically says "Although not commonly used, a breather-type
underlayment, such as roofing felt, may be applied over either solid
or spaced sheathing. Check with your local building official for their
preference in your area. Please note that the only solid sheet
sheathing tested with shakes and shingles is plywood."

Michael Nickolas
www.studionineproductions.com

Steel Roof Versus Asphalt Shingle Mark and Kim Smith Home Repair 22 May 4th 05 09:14 AM
Stupid cedar roof question Matt Home Repair 6 January 12th 05 02:14 PM
Roof question Keith Home Repair 6 December 12th 04 05:11 PM
Anyone want some heart pine roof decking? woodyq Woodworking 1 March 29th 04 11:25 PM
Slate Roof Question Grur Home Repair 8 March 16th 04 10:56 AM