PrecisionMachinisT

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...

Yeah, I roofed for 20 years...Does the OP live near you? I'm getting a
distinct East coast feel from "Dynamo". Let's ask him! Hey, Dynamo,
what are they, shingles or shakes?

No idea where he lives........also, Ive no idea what a 1 x 12 "roof board"
might be, either.

But agreed, lets ask him.......

To Dynamo :

FWIW :

Shakes are still split, and in addition, nowadays they're usually sawn at an
angle part way through lengthwise in order to make the tapered end, the
"split" exposed area showing clearly on the both the top and underside when
they're installed and viewed from the "butt" end.....each piece that's split
off from the bolt makes 2 individual shakes....also, the butt end is fairly
thick, ranging from 3/4 up to perhaps 1-1/2 inches thickness.

Shingle aren't split at all, but instead they are entirely bandsawn, and saw
marks will be visable on all surfaces--but note that there also is a variant
that's called a "rake shingle"--this looks similar to a shake, in that the
exposed side appears to be split....but on closer investigation what you
notice is that the grooves are machine-milled in order to make them appear
more like a shake. Also, shingles are thinner than shakes, doubtful there's
any shingles on the market that exceed 3/8 inches thickness at the butt end.

--

SVL