Duane Bozarth

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
Now, these aren't shingles.....mind you they're shakes--and there is a
definite difference...and nobody in his right mind would even consider
installing cedar shingles on a roof, at least not around here.

Don't see why not...the 3/8" "juniors" that I just replaced on the barn
had been there over fifty years. The roof was essentially leak-tight
until only about the last 10 or so when Dad had decided he was old
enough he wasn't going to repair it any longer...

That's for the old system of open decking roof w/ no paper--I used 1/2"
shakes and wish had the shingles but they made me a deal on the price
and I bit off on it. The shingles lay flatter for this type
application. It's rain-tight, but more dry snow blow-in than w/ the
shingles.

Anyhow, don't see a reason for blanket negation of roofing
shingles--they were probably the most common choice for hundred years or
more...