Keith

Default Roof question

My roof is 10 years old and seems to be in good shape except for the vent
boots. I noticed that the rubber part of the boots has cracked. I had a guy
to give me an estimate on replacing the boots. I have 4 vent boots(two 3"
and two 1.5"). The guy told me it would be around 250.00 labor and I needed
the boots, 2 bundles of shingles and some silicon seal. He said it would
take one whole day for this job.
I'm just wanting some opinions on this. I guess I didn't think it was that
big of a job. I realize that one must pull up a few shingles to replace the
boots. What really got me wondering was the fact that the guy said he would
need two bundles of shingles.

Thanks

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:17:36 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:

My roof is 10 years old and seems to be in good shape except for the vent
boots. I noticed that the rubber part of the boots has cracked. I had a guy
to give me an estimate on replacing the boots. I have 4 vent boots(two 3"
and two 1.5"). The guy told me it would be around 250.00 labor and I needed
the boots, 2 bundles of shingles and some silicon seal. He said it would
take one whole day for this job.
I'm just wanting some opinions on this. I guess I didn't think it was that
big of a job. I realize that one must pull up a few shingles to replace the
boots. What really got me wondering was the fact that the guy said he would
need two bundles of shingles.

Thanks

Best thing I've found, first pick only craftspeople who are
recommended to you by trusted people. Second, get more than one
estimate. Three, check the craftsman history via the BBB for
complaints.

As for the job, as in the bundles, I have no clue how he's using them.
sorry.

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Keith -
[...]

- Nehmo -
Get up there and do it yourself. If you're scared of heights, now is the
time to confront that fear. If you have a question about how, post it.
Or you can bargin the guy down to a hundred bucks. Then he'll go up
there and make additional holes while he does the job.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

m Ransley

Im no roofer but 200sq st of shingles is alot. Why cant the cracks be
siliconed. Thoroughseal comes in a can it may work till you redo the
roof, does it leak? His price is OK though.

Bell

m Ransley wrote:
Im no roofer

Obviously!

but 200sq st of shingles is alot.

A "bundle" is 1/3 square. *Two* bundles is 2/3 square. That's really not
a lot of shingles.

Why cant the cracks be
siliconed.

See my reply to your first statement.

Thoroughseal comes in a can it may work till you redo the
roof, does it leak?

It also may not. It also may work for a week, then fail.

His price is OK though.

Glad you approve. Especially since you've based all your other comments
on (incorrect) speculation.

John Willis

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:17:36 -0500, "Keith"
scribbled this interesting note:

My roof is 10 years old and seems to be in good shape except for the vent
boots. I noticed that the rubber part of the boots has cracked.

This is a pet peeve of mine. This kind of vent flashing, at least
where we live and work, usually fail within about five years. The
flashings that have the neoprene seal always fail. Every time.
Eventually. Why? Because sunshine deteriorates that seal. It cracks.
Then you have a leak.

What should be used? Easy question and an easy answer. Buy better
materials. Lead plumbing vent flashings have been used for more years
than I care to count. Sure, they cost more, but sunshine will not make
them fail. Properly installed this kind of flashing will outlast your
roof by decades.

I had a guy
to give me an estimate on replacing the boots. I have 4 vent boots(two 3"
and two 1.5"). The guy told me it would be around 250.00 labor and I needed
the boots, 2 bundles of shingles and some silicon seal. He said it would
take one whole day for this job.

I'd not let this fellow near any job of ours. First he wants to
replace your flashings with more of the variety that will fail again.
Nothing like job security!:~) It will not take two bundles of
shingles. At most it would take half of one bundle. Silicone is far
from the optimum choice for sealer on roofs...it usually will not
adhere to asphalt shingles. Roof cement or a urethane based sealer are
far superior choices. I won't comment on his labor charge. He wants to
use inferior materials, is over-estimating how many shingles it will
take, so I think his opinion of the value of his time speaks for
itself.

I'm just wanting some opinions on this. I guess I didn't think it was that
big of a job. I realize that one must pull up a few shingles to replace the
boots. What really got me wondering was the fact that the guy said he would
need two bundles of shingles.

Thanks

It isn't that big of a job and I think that $250.00 isn't too terribly
much to pay if the job is done well and carefully. The fellow you have
spoken with sounds more like a semi-qualified handyman than a
craftsman. I know which I'd prefer to have on my house...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Tony Hwang

Keith wrote:
My roof is 10 years old and seems to be in good shape except for the vent
boots. I noticed that the rubber part of the boots has cracked. I had a guy
to give me an estimate on replacing the boots. I have 4 vent boots(two 3"
and two 1.5"). The guy told me it would be around 250.00 labor and I needed
the boots, 2 bundles of shingles and some silicon seal. He said it would
take one whole day for this job.
I'm just wanting some opinions on this. I guess I didn't think it was that
big of a job. I realize that one must pull up a few shingles to replace the
boots. What really got me wondering was the fact that the guy said he would
need two bundles of shingles.

Thanks

Hi,
First of all, where are you?