tom

Jeff wrote: hi folks

I live in Vermont. The southern, balmy part of the state.
And I plan on using perfection blue 18" SHINGLES on the porch
roof, not shakes. The 1 by 12 roof board is simply rough cut
1x12 pine planks from the local mill which I used for roof decking
instead of plywood, to achieve a nice look when the roof is viewed
from underneath. My plan was to put #30 felt paper and nail the
shingles directly over that. I am told though that the shingles need
to breathe, and since I don't have spaces between the roof
boards, I should really install a product called "Cedar Breather"
which is like a plastic mesh which goes right underneath the
shingles. This complicates things for me like flashing, and besides
the cedar breather product is expensive, so I'd like to skip that
step. thanks,

--
dynamorph

You may skip that step. You never mentioned the pitch of the roof. Tom